Dead Can Dance

speed said:
Any fans? I absolutely love their music, especially the experimentation with so many forms of native music, from celtic, to arabian, to native american. Aion is my fave album of them all.
I'm a DCD junkie. I have every album. They are in my top five bands ever. Fucking great. Their best albums are Within the Realm of a Dying Sun and The Serpent's Egg. Their best song IMO is Summoning of the Muse.

yes, i'm a big Dead Can Dance fan also, my favorite album is within the realm... my least favorite is spiritchaser.
but all are good. just a fantastic band with two great vocalists.

and Thoth-Amon, nice pic on you signature, i'm a big fan of him as well:)

Neurotic said:
yes, i'm a big Dead Can Dance fan also, my favorite album is within the realm... my least favorite is spiritchaser.

and Thoth-Amon, nice pic on you signature, i'm a big fan of him as well:)
Yes Spiritchaser is their worst album (though it has some nice moments). Arvo Part is the bomb... his music is the closest thing the human race has to divine revelation.

Yes Spiritchaser is their worst album (though it has some nice moments). Arvo Part is the bomb... his music is the closest thing the human race has to divine revelation.
indeed, like i read once in a review of an Arvo Part disc, if anything can prove the existence of God, it's his music.
np. Arvo Part - Festina Lente :saint:

Yeah, spiritchaser is their weakest.

Lisa Gerrard did a very interesting cd with famed irish classical composer Patrick Cassidy named Immortal Memory. It could be better, but its still fantastic.

I think my favorite song by them these days is How Fortunate the Man with None off the Into the Labyrinth album.

Yeah, spiritchaser is their weakest.

Lisa Gerrard did a very interesting cd with famed irish classical composer Patrick Cassidy named Immortal Memory. It could be better, but its still fantastic.

I think my favorite song by them these days is How Fortunate the Man with None off the Into the Labyrinth album.

That's a good one!

I like what I've heard of DCD, "Host Of Seraphim" off the Baraka soundtrack is mindblowingly awesome. I need to get some of their albums.

And check out the band Arcana if you like Dead Can Dance. I'm personally not a big fan of Gerrard's vocals in their most arabian guise(Orient music is a staple where I'm from, so I've heard more than enough of it to care) Much prefer DCD songs with Perry's singing, like the excellent Xavier from their Within the Realm of a Dying Sun

Wonderful band, definitely one of my favourites. I don't think any other band can create such a deep, mystical atmosphere.

I'm a huge Dead Can Dance fan.

I actually got into them because they were being used as part of soundtrack for a BBC documentary on Black Holes and Black Hole Theory -that also features The Simpsons and other bits of pop culture.
And also through the movie Baraka which they featured on as well.

Got all their albums and the tribute one.

Also heard that they are meant to have reformed and are currently writing a new album.
If true, can't wait to hear it! :headbang:

Does anyone find DCD's unoriginality a problem? I mean, it's basically a blend of medieval/early renaissance stylings with a conventional pop formula

I don't.
They were the first and the best to blend all the ingredients of their music (early music, world music, more modern sounds...) so succesfully. So this mix, their music WAS original when it was first created.

Does anyone find DCD's unoriginality a problem? I mean, it's basically a blend of medieval/early renaissance stylings with a conventional pop formula

Um... considering they are one of the earliest (maybe the earliest) to really do such a thing I would hardly consider it unoriginal.
Besides there are other styles of music incorporated into their sound besides just medieval/early renaissance and pop.

^^ Exactly, guys...

Aye, I just LOVE Dead Can Dance soooooo much. I can just close my eyes and escape to a world unknown. It's truly great to relax to and I absolutely adore the production and the fact how soothing the entire experience is.

I'll just mention at least one song that MUST be heard - Black Sun. Just simply...incredible.

I love Dead Can Dance although I haven't listened to them in a really long time. I'd say Aion is their best album.