Deadly.................Does...............Opeth

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
The other day an old friend(soundman for Opeth) of the band, called and told me he was in town on Saturday, and we could all go to Opeth no problem.......So we set off in my car, to the big city for a Saturday night out........Rob Lewis, Stevie D, Derrick R., & me........first off, on the way there, I asked them, what they wanted to hear, Still Life(Opeth), or Tempo Of The Damned(Exodus)?.......well everyone choose Exo...We did listen to the Opeth Epic....The Moor, before parking (This tour was the first time they played it live).......We went to our favorite warm up spot, Tommy's Joint, the same place Jason Newstead, was told he would be in Metallica........anyway, we had dinner, & and a beer & set off to The Fillmore.....We decided since we were early & in no rush, to buy some beer & drink it in an alley across the street from the venue.....somehow we ended up with Mickey Big Mouth's(its been so many years).....2 each & Rob, passed out some "enhancers"......(thats what he told me they were), but I was'nt allowed one cause I had to drive everyone home.......We got our tickets & VIP passes........Thanks Lorenzo(Dio, former Slayer, & Testament), and went straight to the bar....Thats where we meet up with Steve Smyth, with Cocktail in hand......their were so many kids in the Sold Out show, they had a line of people waiting to buy Opeth Merch........but no line at the bar, thats a sign of a young crowd...They were selling signed Opeth CD's for $30 a pop, what a rip off, Testament sells them signed for $15, why rip off your loyal fans?......MoonSpell came on first......they were not bad, but nothing special, just a mellow melodic growl band.......and not at all like any of my favorite superior ones.......Next up DevilDriver.......well they were not my cup of tea either......time to go outside for a break........Well I did see Leonard Haze(former drummer of Y & T), pumping gear(he's a stage hand for BGP)......I did go up to him & shake his hand, & told him that Y&T, was great High School music for me, in fact they played my High School, when I was a Junior, & 8 students were kicked out in one afternoon, a Private Catholic School Record, at the time....We got to see & visit with lots of our Bay Area Friends in attendance.....Next up.....The mighty Opeth......Now let me say this, the place was sold out, and full, and the people there LOVE Opeth to death, just great fans, for sure......The singer said they all had the flu, & were sick, but they were going to give it 200% anyway......And the frontman & band leader(Mikael Akerfeldt), was super nice to the crowd.......he was so polite, saying thank you after each LONG song, to the cheers of his audience......It was like watching a composer get a standing ovation, at the end of a classical piece......impressive for me to witness...Sound was perfect, thanks to Lorenzo......And yes they are all great musicians......The venue is one of the best places to watch a show........Mikael Akerfelt is like a Dave Meniketti(Y & T)...they both sing & play guitar & are the band leaders, its just that Akerfelt is on a whole different level......musically.....If I had my choice, I'd rather see Dave & Y&T.........I tried to get into them hard.....I'd say 25% of their material.....was really great, but at times I was bored, I'd say that 95% of the people there had a better time enjoying Opeth than I did, and the people that I came with all felt the same way. Still Life is a great title and a good way to describe this band........I wish MindInsane were with me, so she could cheer me up, and give me moral support, I know she would of been enthralled, I did think of her often, while watching Opeth......cause I was bored(at times).......So after 2/3's of the show was over, we formed a huddle, and all decided in unison.......to leave early.....We exited, and talked about what we liked about them & did'nt, but their were alot more did'nt's.......Derrick said that he liked the newer material from Deliverance better than the older songs......Stevie D's reply...."Ya Deliverance,......now that was a good movie!"...we all laughed ....And Stevie, also said......."They just Lacked Ball!s"......So that about summed up our night......We piled in the car, & of course King Louie, wanted to make a booze stop, so we pulled over at Post/Polk, at a small store.......Now me being "The City Boy".....and the rest of the guys being from the suburbs, they did not at first realize, that the Chicks hanging out on this corner, & in front of this bar....were really dudes in skirts & Pumps, now that tripped them out.......But thats Big City Life......You gotta stay on your toes.....Derrick yelled out the window as we passed them....."Hey Show Us Your Cocks!"........we were all laughing so hard.......

That was very interesting .

DE you have really kicking fucking ass stories !! Just like soulflypl has told me !

I`m waiting for more stories like this and more stories about Thrash Titans like Exo, Testa, Sadus, etc etc .

DE great stuff like always ........ I hope on the European Summer Tour you´ll write a tour diary, this would be awesome.

@ Officer

You´re getting some German lessons lately ? hehe, seems so ..... ok here we go, my first lesson for ya:

blood = Blut :Spin:

hiddenlegions said:
Deadly , you should honestly write for a metal magazine cause your reviews are so detailed and entertaining.
I almost was not going to post this, I thought it was flat, so I reworked it, & finally said to hell with .........Post It!.......But thanks for your encouragement!

Edgecrusher666 said:
@ Officer

You´re getting some German lessons lately ? hehe, seems so ..... ok here we go, my first lesson for ya:

blood = Blut :Spin:
I'm half German, half British but born and raised in Amerika.
I actually took a German I class with a girlfriend back in 98. It's been a while,
so I had a buddy help with some of the harder shit. Blood is Blut. I first
learned that when I wanted to translate a Machine Head song into german.
Blut Auf Blut. I spelled it was a 'd'. HA HA! I'm a foolio! I spelled it wrong! NICE!
I owe you a V+.

Maharet said:
man!!!!!! I was supposed to be at that show!!!! for reasons not under my control, i couldnt go...well atleast you had a good time DE! :)
Whereabouts do you live?

OfficerNice said:
I'm half German, half British but born and raised in Amerika.
I actually took a German I class with a girlfriend back in 98. It's been a while,
so I had a buddy help with some of the harder shit. Blood is Blut. I first
learned that when I wanted to translate a Machine Head song into german.
Blut Auf Blut. I spelled it was a 'd'. HA HA! I'm a foolio! I spelled it wrong! NICE!
I owe you a V+.

hahaha, it´s kinda funny, a guy from former Yugoslavia, born and living in Germany, explaining German language to a guy half German hal British hehe.
Nice idea first off all translating an Machine Head songtext. What about translating a cannibal corpse text ? :D But don´t show the text to the customs officer next time you´re travelling to Germany :loco:

Where are your roots in Germany ?

That was a great review DE! thanks for sharing!
I love people who tell stories with a lot of “small details” and funny remarks..
i love "small details..." it always gives you a true feeling of how things were...
:lol:

seems like you had a great guy’s night out! (drinking beers in the alley- that’s so metal *winks*)

ive seen Opeth 2 times in my life, one time in Wacken, and one time in Holland, and in both times, I had a great time, but I have to say…it was a bit boring :ill: I love Opeth, but I don’t really like them live…
i prefer to play their cds when I have the mood for it, and enjoy it in my own house…
yeah… they are lacking balls, like Steve said.. i agree with that.
but the Opeth guys are very friendly and polite. i loved talking to them in Europe.

i just cant believe they sell signed cds for 30$...........

Reactions: Deadly Embrace
Edgecrusher666 said:
hahaha, it´s kinda funny, a guy from former Yugoslavia, born and living in Germany, explaining German language to a guy
half German half British hehe.
Spoiled and Ruined by America! ha ha! But I'm in the planning stages
of going to the UK and Germany this summer.

Nice idea first of all translating a Machine Head songtext.
Not very original, I'm afraid. Slayer used to have the "Slaytanic Wehrmacht",
maybe you were a fan back then?, we're talking about the late eighties.
After I got finished with the "German I" course, things got rocky with
my girlfriend and I and then another guy entered the picture.
It wasn't completely her fault, he was a coward and a weasel and he
played on her vulnerability and confusion. Because of that guy,
we broke up and I was out for blood. All I could hear in my head were
those opening riffs and the lyrics for "Blood For Blood" by Machine Head.
I tied the Slayer thing into Machine Head and felt smart because of the german I had taken. We'll stop the story there.

What about translating a cannibal corpse text ?
Not much of a fan of CC without Chris Barnes. I dont have the music.
Also, I think there are some words I just don't know...like the word
for 'entrails.'

But don´t show the text to the customs officer next time you´re travelling
to Germany
Summer,most likely.
Hopefully he'll be too busy searching my bags for stolen beer steins to
notice lyrics :loco:

Where are your roots in Germany ?
My last name is German, although, the spelling was altered at Ellis Island
when my ancestors came to this country in the late 1800's/Early 1900's...
something like that....and my father traced our ancestors roots back to
a region in Northern Germany. I dont recall the name offhand. I do know
that before the mid 1800's, my father can't find my ancestors. After talking
with other members of the family, it's the understanding that my ancestors
really pissed someone off and were on the run,changed their name and
escaped to America for safety. What's funny is I have a friend in Austria,
and she moved to a new place in Graz, I believe, and the street she lives
on is my last name, before it was altered at Ellis Island. So who knows,
maybe before Germany, my shady ancestors originated in Austria. That
means I'm directly related to Arnold Schwarzenegger. I AM THE
OFFICERNATOR!!!!!