Dean's Worldwide Shredding Contest

A guy from the Outworld forum posted this. Really great tone and playing, one of the best sweeping i've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol looking at the prizes this contest makes the COB contest seem a bit futile, but on the other hand this has a much larger audience and I would assume gets a lot more entries than the ESP contest.

Judging by some of the entries, it's safe for me to assume that I know don't even know anyone who has a shot at winning that thing. I'm going to do my video, but I wouldn't bet much on it.

A lot of those videos are people just blaring notes as fast as they can. I hope someone like that doesn't win.

I don't think even Alexi would have a shot at that, there are people that can shred way better than Alexi :lol:.

It's that mindset that way too many people get caught up in.

Why do you think Dean had to release a video from Rita Haney and even Michael Angelo Batio saying to, basically, stop being so lifeless and boringly technical?

When Michael Angelo Batio is telling you to play with more soul, there is definitely a problem.

I guarantee you none of those technically perfect shredders will win.

Anyone can learn to sweep and play like that with enough practice. I think the videos for that contest prove that quite clearly. What matters infinitely more is playing something much more creative and unique.

Could Dimebag shred like that? No. Not even Alexi is as technically proficient as some of those players. But why are they famous, where all these players aren't?

Because they know how to write a damn good song. And that is a world of difference.

Why do you think Dean had to release a video from Rita Haney and even Michael Angelo Batio saying to, basically, stop being so lifeless and boringly technical?

When Michael Angelo Batio is telling you to play with more soul, there is definitely a problem.

Anyone can learn to sweep and play like that with enough practice. I think the videos for that contest prove that quite clearly. What matters infinitely more is playing something much more creative and unique.

Could Dimebag shred like that? No. Not even Alexi is as technically proficient as some of those players. But why are they famous, where all these players aren't?

Because they know how to write a damn good song. And that is a world of difference.

I tried to bring that spirit to CoB's contest and I just got shot down. People who try to win like me don't stand a chance. This contest DOES count on public votes, so by being different, I don't stand a chance.

But you'd better believe my vid's not going to be like all the boring "Sit on a chair and shred" vids. I'm performing for sure.

I tried to bring that spirit to CoB's contest and I just got shot down. People who try to win like me don't stand a chance. This contest DOES count on public votes, so by being different, I don't stand a chance.

But you'd better believe my vid's not going to be like all the boring "Sit on a chair and shred" vids. I'm performing for sure.

You did it to win? I would have done it for the fun. To be honest you playd it wrong too. Also no backing track. That's what got you "shot down". It was not exactly clean either so sorry...I just think you would have needed to practice more on that before posting. Overall im sure you are a good player though...

See, this is good. He wasn't as technical as a lot of those other guys, but regardless, he was playing something that actually sounded creative.

To me, that was so much more fun to listen to than all those other boring shredders.

My only problem was that we still just being absolutely lifeless by just... sitting there. He wasn't even standing. Lame.

gtfo

nothing special

You too.