Dean's Worldwide Shredding Contest

yeah, but at least Alexi has some melody in his shredding/playing. These guys are playing to prove speed. Nothing musical about it.

omgz have j00 not lerned speed iz evrythn?!?!!:Smug:

Well that's how those guys must have "grown up" to think as guitarplayers :lol: Everything that goes into uber wankage or just plain too much shreddage gets me bored.

omgz have j00 not lerned speed iz evrythn?!?!!:Smug:

Well that's how those guys must have "grown up" to think as guitarplayers :lol: Everything that goes into uber wankage or just plain too much shreddage gets me bored.

Agreed.

That is your opinion of soul, shut up, please.

The more I see you post, the more I dislike you.

:lol:

That makes me laugh. Oh no! Some 16 year old kid on the internet doesn't like me! :rolleyes:

I can see why Janne doesn't even bother coming here anymore.

All I'm saying is that you can go ahead and practice your ass off learning to shred like these kids, and that's perfectly fine. But what separates guitarists like Alexi, Dimebag, or even Yngwie, Gilbert, and Becker, is that they know how to use those techniques for the right reasons. They know how to write a good song. As you can see, there's already a ton of people who can shred all day up and down the fretboard. Is it hard, and does it require a lot of work? Of course. But it's nothing that special, or creative.

All I'm saying is that you can go ahead and practice your ass off learning to shred like these kids, and that's perfectly fine. But what separates guitarists like Alexi, Dimebag, or even Yngwie, Gilbert, and Becker, is that they know how to use those techniques for the right reasons. They know how to write a good song. As you can see, there's already a ton of people who can shred all day up and down the fretboard. Is it hard, and does it require a lot of work? Of course. But it's nothing that special, or creative.
Exactly. And this is why when people talk about favorite guitarists, I always point out that composition is part of being a good guitarist. Because big deal if you can shred on a guitar and have perfect technique. The question is can you actually put that technique to good use by making music with it? Something people would actually enjoy listening to?

Maybe this contest isn't to find a good shredder composer but just only a shredder, a kid who just learnt some stuff and is able to play technically good. I don't know...

Because of course, not everyone is able to compose, to shred in a way that even a person who doesn't have a clue what a guitar is, is able to hear a melody, something catchy.

I don't think even Alexi would have a shot at that, there are people that can shred way better than Alexi :lol:.

They can shred better, but they're not better players. Speed isn't everything IMO. Speed+music like Jeff Loomis or John Petrucci it's ok, but when it's just speed for the sake of it for me it gets boring and nothing to pay attention at.

A lot of those videos are people just blaring notes as fast as they can. I hope someone like that doesn't win.

Fully agreed.

:kickass::kickass::kickass: This dude rocks!

gtfo

You too.

You're kidding, are you? You're a really musical player, you can't really like the way those dudes play. I agree that their skills are beyond awesomeness and thatn they pwn every single one of us single handedly, but there's no ''soul'' in that playing. If you combine guitar wanking+cool music then it rocks, but just wank IMO is boring. Which doesn't mean that I don't admire those guys chops.

That makes me laugh. Oh no! Some 16 year old kid on the internet doesn't like me! :rolleyes:

I can see why Janne doesn't even bother coming here anymore.

Let me rephrase. I don't care about you, I don't hate you, I just don't care. And I get what you mean, I was just moody that night.

(By the way, I'm the last guy who you should tell to go practice shredding, it disgusts me. I'm much more interested in bends/vibrato/phrasing.)

^ I think what it might be is that Delanoir talks in a very "know-it-all" type of tone.

@ Delanoir: Some friendly words couldn't hurt, ya know.

So you only have 60 seconds to prove that you're the meanest shredder alive. And 99.9999999% of the videos are people sitting on their beds with perfect technique. I think people miss the point of this contest, it wasn't about being the fastest alone, it seemed to also be about who can really bring Dimebag's spirit and passion into their playing.

Let me rephrase. I don't care about you, I don't hate you, I just don't care. And I get what you mean, I was just moody that night.

(By the way, I'm the last guy who you should tell to go practice shredding, it disgusts me. I'm much more interested in bends/vibrato/phrasing.)

Fair enough.

I love both, personally. I'm just tired of kids who think being as fast and technically flawless, just doing sweeps and runs constantly, etc. is the end-all-be-all of guitar. The fact is that, to me, it's completely missing the point.

Do I think it's worthless and pointless? No. And I guess I should have rephrased what I said before. All I was trying to say is that it's secondary to knowing how to write a good song. Everyone has different goals, and there's a lot to respect about people that dedicated to mastering their technique, but music is not just about the form. It's about the art, the creativity and personality in what you do.

^ I think what it might be is that Delanoir talks in a very "know-it-all" type of tone.

@ Delanoir: Some friendly words couldn't hurt, ya know.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off that way, really.

So you only have 60 seconds to prove that you're the meanest shredder alive. And 99.9999999% of the videos are people sitting on their beds with perfect technique. I think people miss the point of this contest, it wasn't about being the fastest alone, it seemed to also be about who can really bring Dimebag's spirit and passion into their playing.

Exactly.

It's sad that they had to get both Rita Haney and MAB to tell everyone this in update videos.

Great news for me. I may not be the fastest, or cleanest, but I'll put on a damn show. And with this, maybe I'll write some decent music.

I'm really thinking that they are going to choose some extremely fast kid, because it just seemed like that's what they were looking for...speed.

Either way, I will probably place my attempt up there...after I make my bodom contest video, because that one's more important.

You're kidding, are you? You're a really musical player, you can't really like the way those dudes play. I agree that their skills are beyond awesomeness and thatn they pwn every single one of us single handedly, but there's no ''soul'' in that playing. If you combine guitar wanking+cool music then it rocks, but just wank IMO is boring. Which doesn't mean that I don't admire those guys chops.

Those dudes? It was only one guy, and the reason i posted him was that not only does he have good technique, but he has great control of the general tone, which most people with the mindset "wank is boring", never will have, because they generally don't practice it. I'm not saying this is a bad thing though, because obviously, if you like what you do, you shouldn't change it.

People like MAB may not write the most exciting music ever, but when listening to him playing, he is one of the best guitarists. He also has what alot of what people confuse with "soul", which is infact good phrasing, or "playing slow".

Theirs some incredible shredders emerging for this competition,but its really hard to watch more than 2/3 videos without it getting repetitive,I mean
a love shred but very few videos guitar solos to a backing track,check out paco hernadez video,stretches from 12th to the 24th fret!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: