Death/Black Metal For Dummies

Socrates

Cursed Be "Iron"-ing. Oho
Sep 16, 2007
Wales
Reading that "How'd you get into metal" thread and alot of stories end "And that lead me to death/black metal". I figured I might as well expand my horizons. I literally never listen to those genres (Cept maybe Dimmu Borgir's new one. God I cave to the popular too much)

Looking for a wide variety of tastes, because I know there's a wide variety and styles to those genres.

Death Metal:
My gateway albums were:
Death-Symbolic(more prog/thrash, but whatever)
Behemoth-Zos Kia Cultus
Hypocrisy-Abducted

Phlebotomized-Immense Intense Suspense(very acessible, due to its mellowness and awesome. Symphonic death metal with violins)
Carcass-Necroticism(chunky riffs galore)
Supuration-The Cube(same as Phlebotomized, maybe less accessible.but petty mellow as far as DM goes)
Pestilence-Testimony of The Ancients(reminiscent of the Supuration album)
Lykathea Aflame-Elvenefris(unique middle-eastern flavored death/grind). Destroys all of Nile's catalogue

Black Metal:
Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse(epic BM for dummies)
Troll-Drep de Kristne(very accessible symphonic BM, tons better than Dimmu Borgir)

For Death Metal go for Obituary and Amon Amarth, who are very good gateway bands.

For Black Metal, listen to it from it's origins outwards.

First bands:-

Bathory
Emperor
Immortal
Gorgoroth

Second bands:-

Naglfar
Dimmu Borgir
Einherjer
Nokturnal Mortum

Other bands you may then like:-

Aes Dana
Ajattara
Manegarm

Cheers lads.

About to get chucked off the computer, but will definately check them out tommorow.

This forums awesome for help in looking into other genres. And everything else too :p

Production can always be an issue when first getting acquainted with Black Metal. Although absolutely essential Darkthrone, for example, are extremely inaccessible to untrained ears. Although it's placing in the genre is questionable, an album that nevertheless eased me into Black Metal was Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane.

A few others that are pretty accessible:

Rotting Christ - Non Serviam
Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Enslaved - Vikinglgr Veldi
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Death Metal:

Atheist - Piece of Time
Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory
Death - Leprosy
Entombed - Clandestine
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Tiamat - The Astral Sleep
Unleashed - Shadows in the Deep

Thanks guys.

Never realised the quality of some black metal. I know I should learn but I had kinda written it all off as inaudible grunting :erk:

You blokes (And possibly ladies. I'm not always sure of the genders on here) have shown me the way :kickass:

I heard DarkThrone, Graveland, Emperor, Mayhem.... and I didn't ever like black metal at all. Soon as I heard Carpathian Forest's Live album I became interested in hearing more (Horna is another great one)

for death metal, Amorphis did it for me.

Black Metal

Emperor
Nortt
Thy Serpent
Enthroned
Immortal
Darkthrone
Mayhem
Hecate Enthroned
Carpathian Forest
Satyricon
Thorns
Rotting Christ
Old Man's Child

Death metal

Akercocke
Behemoth
Nile
Kataklysm
Celtic Frost
The Red Chord
Darkane
Dismal Euphony
Therion(Early)
Dismember
Carcass
Goatwhore
Death
Godgory
Morbid Angel
Suidakra
Twilight Ophera
Cannibal Corpse
Napalm Death

Now go and listen :headbang:

For Death Metal go for Obituary and Amon Amarth, who are very good gateway bands.

For Black Metal, listen to it from it's origins outwards.

First bands:-

Bathory
Emperor
Immortal
Gorgoroth

Second bands:-

Naglfar
Dimmu Borgir
Einherjer
Nokturnal Mortum

Other bands you may then like:-

Aes Dana
Ajattara
Manegarm

Love Naglfar.. Know the song unleash hell?

Pestilence-Testimony of The Ancients

Yes.

Death - Spiritual Healing was my intro to Death Metal. It's nice and simple straight up DM, well written and catchy as hell. Human is also great.

For newer stuff maybe Decapitated - Nihility or Organic Hallucinosis would be good to start with.