Finntroll - Rivfader
Meshuggah - Rational Gaze
Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction
Disarmonia Mundi - Red Clouds
Poisonblack - All Else Is Hollow

solefald said:
okay my little brother wa abolutey not into metal but
some years ago when he was reading the lord of the rings I gave him
nightfall in middle-earth by blind guradian and now hell yeah he is on the right path
so blind guardian would be a good entry to the metal side of life
Well, my brother would probably like them, but i doubt he's ever listened to them. He got into "metal" with Iron Maiden and Cradle Of Filth, and all he ever listens to is Maiden, Rhapsody, Manowar, Dragonforce and other shit from that genre (and COF and Dimmu, sometimes, which is ok for a change and because COF is okay). Oh, and he likes Nerthus, which is a notable good exception from his list, and Slipknot, which should only be listened to when one is angry (and thus is a bad exception from his list). But he hates all metal-with-female-vocals, especially gothic / gothic-rock, and he doesn't listen to any hardcore, speed metal, death metal or gothenburg sound. I don't think that's a good example of a person who was "initiated correctly" into metal.

The Ruler said:
Personally I think the stuff that is very catchy will most likely get someone into metal. Then gradually this person could get into the more harsh metal as he/she developes an ear for it.
The number of people who listen to Iron Maiden and think they're metalheads and stay on Iron Maiden (and maybe indulge a bit in the rest of the power/epic metal scene) is depressing (see example above). I would suggest trying only bands that aren't power/epic metal, just for a change. Then maybe when the person decides they like metal and has listened to a whole lot of bands of different genres tell them that more cheesy stuff exists. :D

My little sister (9 years) likes Rhapsody*Of Fire* a lot (or the way she calls it. "for the hills" hehe). I've been trying to get her to be a metal head, though she only likes to head bang hehe.

Actually, waht I hated was that at one time they aked her at her school this: "Irene, what kind of music do you like?" And she replied: "Metal".

When I heard that I nearly started crying, though the happiness obviously didn't last for long.

Being my family very catholic conservative, as soon as they heard that they started putting all this stupid ideas into her haed, "bla bla bla that's not for kids, bla bla satanic, bla bla bla not good for you, bla bla bla don't end up like yer brother *ouch* etc."

So she doesn't want to hear anymore, even though she literally loves the genre I'm sure. Heck, she even went crazy headbanging while listening to "THE BERZERKER!!!" o_O o_O o_O .

Yet I don't know how to make her listen to it again, Mrs.Gigi helps a lot (since she's a major influence over my sis, more than me hehe), but, ojh, what should I do to make her go down the right path?

well almost everyone who spended more than a day in my surroundings got a touch of metal music and for all these people I've played an individual metal music list as a beginning, so i can't choose an universal 12-songs-list that's universal for everyone...it always depends from the person I'm going to transfer in a metal freak :rolleyes:

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood said:
So she doesn't want to hear anymore, even though she literally loves the genre I'm sure. Heck, she even went crazy headbanging while listening to "THE BERZERKER!!!" o_O o_O o_O .
Hehe that's really funny :) The Berzerker are weird, but I still like listening to them every once in a while. Afterwards, everything sounds very smooth and mainstream :D
Make her a good metalhead, she'll be grateful ;)

my brother doesnt like death metal, but he heard me listen to DT many times, and finally started to like Lethe, and later asked me if DT had done more songs that sounded like that.

hyena said:
2 - paradise lost: mortals watch the day

What a cool song to choose, one of my top favs from PL.

I would start with The Beatles (anything), followed by Kiss (Love Gun, Detroit Rock City, Strutter). Then I would jump to Helloween (Eagle Fly Free, I Want Out, March of Time) and Metallica (Fade To Black, Disposable Heroes, Orion). From there I would move on to Slayer (Post Mortem, Raining Blood, Seasons in the Abyss) and Sepultura (Inquisition Symphony, Inner Self, Desperate Cry, Territory, Roots Bloody Roots). Then some Death (Crystal Mountain, Scavenger of Human Sorrow, Spirit Crusher), At the Gates (Under the Serpent Sun, Forever Blind) and Dark Tranquillity (Crimson Winds, Shadow Duet etc etc etc). If the person would be able to follow me to this point and like it, s/he would go on exploring other bands alone.

Well I AM the Worlds most major thread bumper but i Feel now I should Give my opinion for people to start... I Recommend these bands...

Dark Tranquillity
In Flames
Opeth
Within Temptation
Nightwish
Backstreet Boys
Tristania
Lunatica
Theatre of Tragedy
For My Pain...

I think Backstreet Boys is the survival part.. If they dont make you die from internal bleedings and brain trauma, norwegian BM isnt going to kill you, either..