Death Magnetic is online

You don't like ANYTHING from them, not ONE song at all?

I used to play Metallica 24/7 when U was 15-16 but now I never listen to them. They've made some okay tunes (some songs on AJFA and Outlaw Torn) but nothing stands out to the point where I put it on again. There's just so much more better music out there. And the new one is even far from Metallica's better moments.

while I must say the new Metallica is an improvement over what they've done in the last 10 years or so, I still won't be buying it, not worth my money.

The new slipknot, on the other end, is surprisingly interesting.

/hides

I like the new Metallica album. I'm not like "OMGZ!!!! IT'S AMAZING!!!" like it. I just like it. I'll buy it. The End.

Album doesn't suck, but it's certainly nothing special, particularly compared to today's standards.

gave it another listen. I've changed my mind. its not simply "boring". It's bad. imo the only parts worthy of listening to is the mellow part of "the day that never comes" and "my apocalypse". Granted, it doesn't immediately inspire a migraine like St. Anger did, but I don't think I'll ever listen to this album again.

I love Kirk Hammet's tone in this album, and he brings back the shred from many years ago. Also James Hetfield now being sober, having a clear mind and being able to focus, i feel like he was able to put more into his songs and this record, and i can tell from listening to it. I also love how it brings back some old Metallica sounds. My Apocolypse for example reminds me of Kill 'Em All. Suicide & Redemption is a great instrumental that is very moving and "joe Satriani" solo's. Many songs in this album remind me of everything from kill em all to reload, it has all the elements. It sounds like these guys are actually a band now, cause St. Anger didn't sound like they had it together. they were after eachother's throats, it was tense, hell they almost broke up, rehab ect...But after listening to this album several times already, it sounds like they got there shit together. I started to listen to Metallica a few years after the Black Album was released (being 7 years old) and even now i still think the same about these guys. I love Metallica, i don't care what people have to say about them, even if they did release load, or st. anger, it's not gonna change my mind. How can them being "washed up" or "sellouts" change the way you think and see about what they produce? So fucking what? "holy crap they cut their hair on load/reload, these guys suck wtf happened, i use to like metallica now i won't listen to them again even though i use to listen to them 24/7" pfffft throw me a freakin' bone. Yes St. Anger might have sounded like crap, but it was the most meaningful "Lyric" wise and is very deep. They played Frantic & St. Anger when i saw them live at the "Madley in anger with the world tour" and it was fucking awesome, they added solo's to the songs and everything. Even though the youngest in the band now is 43, they still are heavy and kick ass live. Love these guy's, maybe it's because next to pantera, kirk hammett inspired me to pick up a guitar and learn to play? lol i remember when kirk hammett gave me his pick after the show, and it makes me sad to know that i don't fucking remember where the HELL i put it, its tucked away in a small white box with some foreign money somewhere... I don't know, but nothing will change the way i think about these guys, and it makes me VERY happy to hear this album because even after all these years, they still got it in them.

Nice review.

After saying for years that I'd never buy this album and only download it (illegally, of course), I cracked and bought the LP yesterday.

Poor Lars. You've got to feel bad for a guy who obviously has no actual 'talent' on the drum kits, and winds up in a band that expects so much out of him at 45 years old. How is he going to be able to play these raging, badass songs live, night after night?

At it's best, the album sounds like the Metallica of old never left. The compositions are thoughtful, intense, with some seriously grinding riffs. A chunky and tight guitar tone, some spring in the beats, and long tangential adventures into the riff-filled land, and I can almost forget that Stanger ever happened. "The End of the Line," "Cyanide," and "The Judas Kiss" are all face fuckers.

But at it's worse, Metallica becomes a parody of themselves. Some of Lars' gratuitous thrash beats just sound so forced and fake, James' lyrics go from puerile to putrid, and most of Kirk's solos kill any of the mojo that they've worked 5 years to build back up (seriously, some of those solos fucking suck. Jeff, couldn't you have acted as pinch soloist?). "Unforgiven III" is a waste of time, and the instrumental, while it contains some cool riffs, has no cohesion that I've found yet, though I honestly haven't given enough of a shit to look for one.

With anticipation such as this, you can't help but expect perfection, but when it comes down to it, Death Magnetic is a save job. It's purpose isn't to kick our asses into eternity, but to wash the stale stang out of our mouths, and remind us that Metallica is still the number one metal brand that every metalhead, from the blackened to the slackened, can rock out to together.

And it's better than that new Testament.

With anticipation such as this, you can't help but expect perfection, but when it comes down to it, Death Magnetic is a save job. It's purpose isn't to kick our asses into eternity, but to wash the stale stang out of our mouths, and remind us that Metallica is still the number one metal brand that every metalhead, from the blackened to the slackened, can rock out to together.

It couldn't of been said any better. You hit the spot.