Death Magnetic - Out Sep. 12 Worldwide

At least when the album is bashed it's usually because of the production instead of the actual music. That's better than being bashed for say St. Anger-esque reasons. :p

I have to admit, I actually like it. Yeah, it's a bit self-plagiarizing in spots, and it's not about to challenge some of the classic stuff, IMO, but overall, the more I listen the more I like it.

My favorite track at the moment is The Judas Kiss. This is about as close as they've come to capturing the old vibe in a very, very long time for me.

Rubin definitely went nuts with the compressor, though. This could've been an even better record by far without being strangled within an inch of its life by the comp. Why is this such a common malady with such prolific producers?

Who do you think might've been a better producer for this one? I totally admit my bias, but I really would've loved to hear what Steven Wilson could've done with it.

Hmmm... Metallica with Mellotron... Mellotronica?

So which album sound do you all preffer, Justice or DM?
I love the sound (as in overall sound quality/mastering/mixing/etc) on Justice as it suits the music perfectly. Contrary to all the above discussion, I don't have any real complaints with Death Magnetic's sound either though. Maybe that's only because St Anger desensitised me, who knows. I still prefer Load/Reload's sound overall though. Cranking the intro to Outlaw Torn is a borderline spiritual experience for me in itself.

The mix on justice sucks as there's pretty much no bass guitar in the mix (aside from the occasional rumble, and there's some bass presence in the middle of to live is to die) but this album was recorded way too hot which clearly effects my listening experience as well. I'd much rather have the sound on the self-titled...that really epitomizes my ideal album tone for metallica. drums sound huge, bass sounds amazing, the guitars have nice tone in them, james' vocals are in the mix correctly...

I threw together an example of my own for you. Made a quick drum loop, and put on some extreme compression, that (from memory) sounds pretty close to whats on the album. In this case, the compression cycles on and off when the drum loop ends, so you should be able to hear quite clearly how destructive compression can be.

Compressor starts off, turns on at about 8 sec.

http://www.filesavr.com/untitled_31

Wow, thanks alot! That way the example is much easier to follow than in that youtube vid. I definitely can hear the difference. With the compressor on it sounds a little like there was a slight echo on the peaks.

Btw. that's a very nice drum pattern! :headbang:

Wow, thanks alot! That way the example is much easier to follow than in that youtube vid. I definitely can hear the difference. With the compressor on it sounds a little like there was a slight echo on the peaks.

Btw. that's a very nice drum pattern! :headbang:
Glad it helped.

The echo you are hearing is actually the echo from the drum room, without heavy compression, the room sound fades out naturally. With the heavy compression turned on, it squashes the drums louder moments (peaks), and brings the quieter parts up in the mix, so the room sound is now about the same volume as the peaks, making it sound much more pronounced, and unnatural. Of course on top of that, you have the distortion from pushing the compressor way too far.

The best sounding Metallica album, for me is the Black Album, without a doubt. It's perfect. Not the songs, necessarily, but the sound.

Justice is like the beginning of them experimenting with bad production. I don't understand the love that this album's PRODUCTION gets. Songs, yes, sound, no. It full of sucked out guitars, thin sounding vocals, and it's the start of Lars's terrible snare sounds. The bass is non-existent (which may be attributed to Jason being the New Guy) and it's really dry. Bob Rock did great things for the sound of Metallica, but I don't like how he got them writing more commercial material.

But, even with it's less than optimal sound, Death Magnetic is 100 times more interesting an album than ReLoad, for example. Good songs trumps good sound every time.