Death Magnetic - Out Sep. 12 Worldwide

Can someone please explain the term clipping.

Thanks

word. i have no idea what it is either.

Metallica are not abysmal live at all (whoever said that). ok you can hear some flaws in their playing (as is apparent in most live music) but its still great fun to see tham and hear the tunes i loved as a teenager.

saw them monday night at the london charity gig and they rocked. the new stuff was pretty good aswell.

First, neither is inherently "better" than the other, it just depends on what you're trying to attain.

MP3 is lossy audio compression, which means bits of audio information deemed least susceptible to the human ear are discarded during the encoding process, allowing for smaller file sizes (convenience) in exchange for permanent loss of audio data - amounts varying depending on what encoding options are set.

FLAC is lossless audio compression, meaning it doesn't discard audio information during encoding and maintains 100% CD/source quality. This usually means significantly larger file sizes, but would be ideal if you intended to actually back up a CD or CD collection (as opposed to simply ripping songs to your computer for convenient listening), as it's an exact digital copy audio-wise.

Almost nobody can hear the difference between, I think, 256 kbps or higher mp3s and lossless audio formats like FLAC or APE. There's also other technical and practical pros and cons to each (depending on one's mere preference and/or goals) but hopefully this helps explain it a little.

What about mp4? I may be nuts but I think that the albums that I buy off of iTunes are higher quality than the ones I buy on CD and import to my computer.

What about mp4? I may be nuts but I think that the albums that I buy off of iTunes are higher quality than the ones I buy on CD and import to my computer.
No, CD quality is better than basically anything you will be buying online, CD's use 16bit 44khz WAV, which aside from SACD, and DVD-A is higher quality than most any other release format. CD's are actually higher quality, technically speaking, than all the surround DVD's opeth has released as well.

If you rip your CD's into a shit format, then however, mp4 is probably higher quality.

No I rip them to WAV. I swear, I bought BWP on iTunes before buying it on CD and the the one from iTunes is better quality. The files are also much larger sized. I couldn't believe it.

mp4/m4a has a better quality-to-file-size ratio than mp3, but no, it is not equal to and certainly not superior to lossless (be it WAV, FLAC, etc.)

But, you sound like you're getting files that are of a high enough bitrate to achieve transparency to your ears. In other words, you simply can't tell you're listening to a lossy encoding because the audio quality is adequately high, which is a good thing.

I hope someone rips and releases the individual tracks from Guitar Hero. Without knowing how Guitar Hero works internally, I expect there will be at least enough extra layers as well as the separate guitar tracks to make doing our own mixing feasible.

^unfortunately i must admit that i have difficulties in identifying the clipping artifacts even with the video example at hand. when i pay very close attention and listen to it on my headphones then i would describe the clipped peaks as clanging or rattling. maybe the effect is not as audible if you listen to it through flash streaming, which certainly involves some compression and probably has its own artifacts.

^unfortunately i must admit that i have difficulties in identifying the clipping artifacts even with the video example at hand. when i pay very close attention and listen to it on my headphones then i would describe the clipped peaks as clanging or rattling. maybe the effect is not as audible if you listen to it through flash streaming, which certainly involves some compression and probably has its own artifacts.
I threw together an example of my own for you. Made a quick drum loop, and put on some extreme compression, that (from memory) sounds pretty close to whats on the album. In this case, the compression cycles on and off when the drum loop ends, so you should be able to hear quite clearly how destructive compression can be.

Compressor starts off, turns on at about 8 sec.

http://www.filesavr.com/untitled_31

This album just gets better with every listen. Truly awesome stuff. And clipping proven or not, I don't hear a problem with my bear ears. I like the way it sounds even if sometimes the drums are too loud and the bass too low.

This album just gets better with every listen. Truly awesome stuff. And clipping proven or not, I don't hear a problem with my bear ears. I like the way it sounds even if sometimes the drums are too loud and the bass too low.

Same here, is better this way :D