Death Magnetic - Out Sep. 12 Worldwide

Huh...am I listening to the same song as you guys? It's okay, I suppose. The end just seems like a bunch of metal cliches as opposed to an actual song. And the beginning is pretty boring. The best thing is that James's vocals sound excellent.

So far, I gotta say that the new Testament is far more intriguing than this. Not sure if that's a fair comparison now, but in the day, I used to compare them (and Metallica came out on top then).

^I agree. Much better than anything on St.Anger but nothing amazing really, not that I was expecting that.
James do sound great though, looking forward to the rest.

i just heard this song on the radio. i had no idea it came out,

::song comes on the radio::

:thoughts:: hmmmmm.. wtf is this crap.... i dont like the intro at all... holy crap i think this is the new metallica!.....did they get a new singer? ....nope he just said "dayAHHHHhh".. thats hetfield.... eh this isnt bad at all...i want a ham sandwich... with mustard... mmmm.... oh the song is still going... the end reminds me of "sanitarium"... well that wasnt half as bad as i though it was going to be 5.3/10

Am I listening to the same song as everyone else. This is as mediocre as it gets.

The single is pretty good, its good that Metallica are once again putting effort into writing songs again, instead of putting out what seemed to be effortless rushed material. They also fixed some things that were broken on the last 3 records, its not perfect but much much improvement.

Sounds boring to me, really...
I'm disappointed.

I think it's pathetic when they say in interviews how the new one will sound like "and puppets for all...", blah, blah (like before St. Anger) and the distorted guitars don't sound anything like it. Rob and Rubin really made me hope for this one to be good but this just sounds so damn random.

Well I've been a Metallica fan for years until ..well... Load came out :Smug: . I enjoyed some of the songs and then RE Load came out :erk:, but still some songs had something ... and then of course ST anger came out :zombie:

The single was no surprise... the old Metallica died the moment they decided that money was more important than music (at lest that's what I see, You can see how the album is already on pre sell with stupid gift packs and shit). The new album is going to be "Load-like" with some touches of the Black Album but with terrible distortions and awful mastering for a metal album. The Master of Puppets Metallica is not gonna come back :-(

PD: Testament's new album .. that's how a band should come back! powerful and evil ;-)

I listened again, and Lars's drum fills are simplistic and above all, boring. Nickelback is heavier than this, people.

I have to say...I'm not all that overwhelmed. Everything I've heard so far was that this was supposed to be a revitalization of the band...that they were supposed to plug into the vibe of Lightning and Master and use that energy to make this record. Sure it may not SOUND exactly like those two albums (And really who wants a blatant ripoff of an earlier album anyways?) but it was to put the band in the mind frame they had when they were doing those albums back in the early 80's. Lean, mean, angry with a chip on their shoulder and trying to prove to everyone else in the world that they were now the new force to be reckoned with.

But I don't really hear that in this song. They're trying to be lean and mean....but it still has that air of being tired and feeling run down. I hate to say that, because I would love nothing more then for these guys to explode onto the world with this record and prove everybody wrong.

But...I'm not seeing that happening with this song. Maybe the band from 1985 could have made this song work. But the band from 2008 sounded tired, like they were just phoning it in. Is it better then St Anger? Yes...light years better. And for that, at least, I am relieved. But if this song had been heard as a demo during the recording of Master of Puppets, it would have been thrown in the trash (Or at least stripped down, reworked and reworked some more to try and come up with something acceptable0. Just my very humble (and quite possibly wrong) opinion, Folks.

I will buy this record the day it hits the shelves. I've bought every other Metallica record the day of release since Ride the Lightning even though for the last two decades, I've been somewhat less then enthusiastic about it.

But maybe this record will prove me wrong. Maybe that was just one weak song and the rest will more then make up for it. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.