death magnetic production

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
well so i finally bought death magnetic today. it's actually pretty good. i mean no masterpiece but it's a pretty solid record. if they had this mindset like 20 years ago it would have sounded more genuine and a bit more badass. anyway, yeah the clipping sucks and all but the guitar tone is pretty cool. any info regarding this? or just the usual "use every amp on earth" technique??

I suggest you get hold of the Metallica Making Of 'Death Magnetic' video.

You'll see lots of amps laying around the studio inlcuding Krank, Bognor, Marshall, Roland, Randall, Mesa to name but a few, but god knows which ones made it on to the record.

Meisterjäger;7909598 said:

You could purchase [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Box-Magnetic-Death-Coffin/dp/B001BYBAXK"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Box-Magnetic-Death-Coffin/dp/B001BYBAXK[/ame] which contains the DVD or if you were so inclined or try googling MAKING_MAGNETIC

I read in a guitar world they had a blend of 4 amps going on, including James' live rig, and his old Mesa Mark IIC+ with the gain turned way down. Apparently he used the same guitar he used to record Kill em All, a old white Gibson ripoff along with his Gibsons and ESPs. I'll try to find the article. There are a bunch of youtube videos on the making of Death Magnetic that helped me out.

Jesus if they used the VH4 on Death Magnetic than they really managed to make a great amp sound monumentally shitty.
Hell of an achievement.
*Claps politely*

Bought the album, but I'm solely listening to the GH3 version... Such a shame, cause I actually like the character of the mix quite a lot.

Jesus if they used the VH4 on Death Magnetic than they really managed to make a great amp sound monumentally shitty.
Hell of an achievement.
*Claps politely*

Have owned several Mark series and currently a VH4, but cant hear those amps in DM.

If people would tell me it's all Powerball on DM I'dd believe them.