Death Metal Starter Kit

For some reason I thought you were in your late twenties.

Anyways...

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Atheist - Piece of Time
Massacre - From Beyond
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Dismember - Indecent and Obscene
Vader - The Ultimate Incantation
Deicide S/T
Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back to Life
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos

Death - Spiritual Healing
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick or Alters of Madness (the former is my fave)
Deicide - Deicide
Obituary - Cause of Death
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Carcass - Nectroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Decapitation - Organic Hallucinosis

Great recs for intro deathmetal!

Also, I hate to be nitpicky but it's Decapitated, not Decapitation (just helping out the OP tis' all)

Malevolent Creation - Retribution

In my opinion it is a must!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxI4L6VfSdU&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll be spending some of the day today checking out recommendations and I'll start making some purchases. It's so much easier to go into new music with some help.

I had heard something about Immolation too. I'll have to take a look at that as well... thanks

Also, if you're looking for something a little different (than straight up classic death metal) I would also suggest, for a newer album, New World Shadows, the new record by Omnium Gatherum. I keep raving about it and telling everyone I see how awesome it is. It's simply breathtaking.

Here is my death metal survivor kit! can't work without them!

1. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered at birth (and all the other CC albums)
2. Morbid Angel - Altars of madness
3. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
4. Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
5. Amon Amarth - With oden on our side
6. Entombed - Left Hand Path
7. Jungle Rot - what horrors await
8. Vader - Necropolis
9. The black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal
10. Solstice - Solstice

Entombed `Left Hand Path.
Brutality `When the Sky Turns Black.
Monstrosity `Imperial Doom.
Pestilence `Testimony of the Ancients.
Morbid Angel `Altars of Madness,Blessed Are the Sick,Covenant.
Possessed `Seven Churches.
Autopsy `Mental Funeral.
Gorguts `Considered Dead.
Massacre `From Beyond.
Grave `You'll Never See...
Unleashed ` Shadows in the Deep. first 3
Sorcery `Bloodchilling Tales.
Edge of Sanity `The Spectral Sorrows.
Sentenced `North From Here.
Amorphis `The Karelian Isthmus.
Death `Human.
Cynic `Focus.
Atheist `Unquestionable Presence.
Resurrection `Embalmed Existence.

Hi OP.

As a fellow metal head of the same age with a similar background in my teens of thrash metal, allow me to add my two penneth of classic death metal albums. I've selected these as being the albums that you will probably be able to relate to most easily from your background while allowing entry into the wider realms of death metal.

1. Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory. Emminently hummable, mid-tempo war-obsessed English death metal with some doomish elements here and there.
2. Carcass - Heartwork. "Necroticism" is by far the better album, but not nearly as easy to listen to if you are new to death metal. Neatly kicked off the whole melodic death metal kick.
3. Obituary - Slowly We Rot. Once you've heard John Tardy sing, you'll shit bricks, to quote the cool kids.
4. Death - Scream Bloody Gore. Basically noisy thrash with deathly atmosphere.
5. Entombed - Wolverine Blues. By now, Entombed had moved into "Death n Roll", but as entry level listenable extreme metal, it does the trick admirably.
6. At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease. Melodic - also less annoying than Slaughter Of The Soul.
7. Morbid Angel - Domination. Not their best, but certainly their most accessible.
8. Napalm Death - Enslavement Through Obliteration. When grind succumbed to death metal.
9. Vader - De Profundis. Like Slayer ? Think their output since Seasons in the Abyss has been dogshit ? Me too. Try this - basically Slayer inspired death metal.
10. Deicide - Serpents of the Light. Incredibly catchy songwriting combined with cartoonish hatred of Christianity. What's not to like ?

All right... So my education starts today. Just got Altars of Madness in the mail today and gave it a listen. Amazing!!! Thanks for the initial recommendations. Carcass (Necroticism) and Obituary (Cause of Death) are on their way. Just looking through the rest of the posts again to make the next few choices. Great start though. Hard to find anything wrong with that Morbid Angel album though. Kick ass...

This will most likely be your face when you hear that Carcass album for the first time
0.jpg

Probably a bad choice for beginners and you really should have went with Heartwork to start.

I'm definitely getting Heartwork too. A friend is gonna hook me up but I was ordering some things and saw all the other recs as well.

I might also recommend Demolition Hammer if you dont know them. They're very much thrash but border on death metal and they're fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator: