Death - The sound of perseverance

Demiurge said:
You listen to music on a simple level. You like ear candy, TSOP is a compositional disaster, but it's easy listening and it's rock; it's very accessible. I've no problem with this, just don't try to make a qualitative argument based on something being fun.
Well, that was a rather unfair, judgemental, and pigheaded statement, if I may say so myself.

I doubt you can comprehend the level at which I listen to music. I just don't see any point in using that as an argument as to whether music is good or not. "I know that this album is good/not good because I listen to music better than you do!"

TSOP easy listening? Not quite. Maybe to you. I say this having heard many examples of music.

Demiurge said:
Realize that atonality has nothing to do with rhythm or structure. It refers to a lack of a tonal center! The metal bands you mention aren't exactly atonal. In the case of Suffocation, I'd say harmonically ambiguous and extensively chromatic is more like it. For true atonality, look to serialism. It's not pitch centric.
Serialism, also known as 12-tone music. I mentioned it earlier. Sepultura used a lot of it on Roots. I distinctly remember chromatic and serialist patterns in the riffs, coupled with Max screaming over top. My own band works with atonality. We try mixing chords and notes like A-flat and B-flat. Really nasty mix, and it's fucking awesome!

Demiurge said:
The problem lies with individuals who appreciate a general aesthetic but fail to grasp its ideological merits(and its motivation). These people are destined to be metalheads or something similar. Their critical paradigm is "is it metal?"
Doesn't bother me. If metal is generally what someone likes, the metalness of a band can very well detemine if they listen to the band or not. It's part of how the world works.

Don't get me started on serial composition. I'll be here all fucking day. The atonal music of Schoenberg, for example is crappy. It barely qualifies as music at all. Melodic composition has been central to harmonic frame forever, and with good fucking reason. Quality music makes use of the diatonic scales. Serialism is a pointless and degenerate novelty. It's like modern art, deconstructionist as opposed to genuinely creative. It's not legitimate art.

Everything I say is based in logic. It is easy listening on account of it being structured like a rock & roll album, recursive structure makes for easy listening. There's no sense arguing this. Why the hell do you think that pop albums use such structures rather than the narrative ones favored by Romantic composers?

Yes, it was judgmental, but hardly unfair. I've seen you post, I have a general idea of what you like. You like catchy verse/chorus rock-metal. Furthermore, don't be so damned quick to connect "catchy" and "melodic". Burzum is highly melodic, but not very catchy. Think about that for a bit. Maybe you'll figure something out without having me explain it.

To objectively analyze music, one develops a critical paradigm and criticizes within that framework. I have a logical, consistently applicable framework, you don't seem to. I win by default. I'm very much so a traditionalist BTW.

Intelligent people realize that music is the outward expression of ideology, hence, being a metalhead is the geigh.

Demiurge said:
Everything I say is based in logic. It is easy listening on account of it being structured like a rock & roll album, recursive structure makes for easy listening. There's no sense arguing this. Why the hell do you think that pop albums use such structures rather than the narrative ones favored by Romantic composers?

Yes, it was judgmental, but hardly unfair. I've seen you post, I have a general idea of what you like. You like catchy verse/chorus rock-metal. Furthermore, don't be so damned quick to connect "catchy" and "melodic". Burzum is highly melodic, but not very catchy. Think about that for a bit. Maybe you'll figure something out without having me explain it.

To objectively analyze music, one develops a critical paradigm and criticizes within that framework. I have a logical, consistently applicable framework, you don't seem to. I win by default. I'm very much so a traditionalist BTW.

Intelligent people realize that music is the outward expression of ideology, hence, being a metalhead is the geigh.

Well your analysis is based on logic and there's no arguing that since you are discussing it within a theoretical construct. But the judgemental statements that accompany your analysis are still just your opinions. It just so happens that a lot of intellectually capable people share your opinions. That doesn't make your statements fallacious but that doesn't make them objectively veracious either.

Also, you can say you are winning the argument by pointing out inconsistencies and flaws in logic in the other poster's statements. That is theoretically valid since those are major aspects of logical argumentation. But you're only showing why your views on music are valid, not they are superior to others, which I suppose is the main reason most people are challenging your ideology.

By the way, I think your comment about music being an outward expression of ideology applies more to people who have a tendency to think abstractly, than just people who are innately intelligent.

And by that previous post you made about deconstructionst, I assume you're more in favor of Heidegger's philosophy than Jacques Derrida's?

Demiurge said:
Quality music makes use of the diatonic scales. Serialism is a pointless and degenerate novelty. It's like modern art, deconstructionist as opposed to genuinely creative. It's not legitimate art.
I hope you realize that's just your opinion. I think Schoenberg was a genius to incorporate(more like invent) serialism into his works. It opened the door for even greater composers, such as Stravinsky.

I had the pleasure of performing the Firebird in a symphony orchestra a few years back. You'll never guess how many people abslutely hated it, and insisted it wasn't music. Playing in B-flat minor in 7/4 might fir that description, but somehow Stravinsky managed to transform it into one of the greatest finales to any piece of music ever. Deconstructionist? I think not, my friend.

Demiurge said:
I find much of Burzum quite catchy. Do I find ALL Burzum catchy? No. But I don't find ALL Iron Maiden catchy, either. A general idea you might have, but in reality you have no idea.

Demiurge said:
I find that something which triggers such a wide specturm of emotions and feelings in a nonscientific manner, such as music, requires crtiticism as it comes. I like Creed, but don't really like Pearl Jam. I like BBMAK, but I like Miles Davis even more. I enjoy both ...And Oceans and Emperor, and I liked Nattens Madrigal, yet I dislike Darkthrone. I enjoy Hatebreed's music, as well as that of Madball and Agnostic Front, but I'm not crazy about Sick Of It All. And I, nor you, nor anyone, will ever be able to explain why. Sometimes I can, but those are some of the answers I cannot explain. Therefore, I find it impossible to maintain a framework to analzye objectively. I risk either having to make exceptions to the framework, which undermines the purpose of its existence altogether, you see; or, I risk limiting what I can or cannot listen to, and that is much more valuable to me. Therefore I analyze subjectively, on the spur of the moment. Am I wrong?

No.

And that is the concept that you must grasp. I employ an entirely different, yet equally sucessful approach to analyzing music, and it is in no way superior nor inferior to yours. Therefore, I win. Although I wasn't really trying to, and have no idea what I've won. Silly child, I regret to inform you that this world is much more than winning and losing virtual debates over the Internet.

InFlames101 said:
Also, you can say you are winning the argument by pointing out inconsistencies and flaws in logic from the other poster. That is theoretically valid since those are major aspects of logical argumentation. But you're only showing why your views on music are valid, not why they are superior to others, which I suppose is the reason most people are challenging your ideology.
Well that's fine, but what inconsistencies and flaws in logic did I have? Damn! I thought I was doing pretty good...:cry:

If your counterargument is simply "no, it's not deconstructionist, I like it", you're not doing terribly well. Atonal composition is synonymous with no composition. Modern art could be created by children with fingerpaint, atonal "music" could be "composed" by deaf retards. It is the reduction of value to the recombinant. Into the waste basket with such gimmickry.

You've confused "objective criticism" with "biased, subjective, opinion". Whether I like TSOP personally is irrelevant. It is circularly structured death-rock that is frequently disrupted by out-of-the-blue technical interludes. Since this is superficial noodling, as opposed to being integrated structurally à la Coroner/old Cynic, it is pretentious, self-absorbed, and distracting. The songwriting is fractured and incoherent. The songwriter wasclearly more concerned with fitting in an abundance of technical sections than writing cohesive, coherent music. Whether you or I like it on a personal level couldn't be more irrelevant. No one gives a rat's ass about your opinion. Contrary to the belief of simpletons, art CAN be analyzed and criticized objectively. This argument recently came up elsewhere and someone said "Anyone who thinks that all objective things are concrete needs to go find a dictionary and learn what the words actually mean." I couldn't have possibly said it better myself.

BTW, Stravinsky was less strictly atonal than, say, Schoenberg. There are similarities between his use of pitches and diatonic music. True serialism rejects the power of pitches, herein lies its fatal flaw. These people are the reactionary hedonists of music, rather than craft quality music, they purposely avoid tonality. They avoid perfect fifths, octaves. Intervals are meaningless and pitches are presented as equals; there is no hierarchal scale. Stravinsky did no such thing. At least, not until he adopted serialism....

Living Inside said:
holy shit, this thread is enough to kill braincells.
:lol: Yeah, it is starting to sound like dry technical jargon, isn't it? It's nice, though. I haven't had a discussion requiring the use of actual brain cells in such a long time...

Demiurge said:
Atonal composition is synonymous with no composition. Modern art could be created by children with fingerpaint, atonal "music" could be "composed" by deaf retards. It is the reduction of value to the recombinant. Into the waste basket with such gimmickry.
A child with fingerpaint is simply doodling. Actual modern artists are expressing intense emotion through wild, inconsistent, and incoherent jabs at canvas. They are expressing the emotion in its rawest form. It just is. I've created some of my own. It's very different from still life or Impressionism. In fact, I swear Monet would have a heart attack if he saw it, but the process is very different. You create the art in a fit. It's natural. There are no "mistakes," and anny effort to fix them ruins the natural flow of the artwork. That flow can be seen. It may look jarring, childish, and inconceivably idiotic, but modern art IS art. The same is applied to serialism. It's music performed differently, just to explore. It's music at a purely cerebral level, but a lot of it can be enjoyed without tearing one's hair out. It's insulting to simply deem it as pretentious bullshit. You don't know the composer's mind, or why he chose to use 12-tone ideas rather than diatonic thirds or octaves or the scale hierarchy.

Gustav Mahler would create pieces with lively melodies, but their inspiration would be traumatic events. In his mind, happy-sounding music equated to feelings of death. Without knowing that, 99% of listeners would be awestruck by his gift for soaring melody, thinking him a Romantic at heart, and a generally cheerful person.

You're right. My personal opinion is meaningless. But in music, factual analysis is equally meaningless. Collective opinion is what defines the worth of something. You'll have a field day with this, but look at history. Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill will probably be considered a classic in the eyes of the next generation, much like Zeppelin IV is to people today. Whether individuals like ZOSO is quite irrelevant. However, legions of worldwide fans of the album are synonymous in praising it, as are fans of JLP. Regardless of how many musical rules the two albums break, or how horribly produced or how aesthetically idiotic the albums may be, they obviously did something to garner pleasure in the minds and hearts of listeners all over. Therefore, they are classic. And the only way you can dislike it is if you...just dislike it. Regardless of the flaws in musicianship or assembly, the albums are examples of music that made a difference. Good music.

I can listen to "Ironic" and not give damn about the verse/chorus structure or the simplistic chords in the chorus. It's a good song. Bottom line. All objective things are not concrete. But all abstract things are not objective, either. Music happens to be one.

As much as you pick apart TSOP for its circular structure and wankery, it is still a good album, made by good musicians. And it will most definitely influence more people than Piece Of Time. Does that mean its better? No. But it makes it difficult to prove that it's bad. In the end, if the circular structure bothers no one, then it must not be a negative aspect. Does the album push boundaries? I maintain that it does. And proving the ways that it doesn't is no way to prove that the album hasn't pushed boundaries anyway. "It has circular structure. This limits it from being able to advance music." I think not.

As unusual as it might seem, the worth of music is directly influenced by the majority's opinion. That opinion might not sway that of the individual(a good thing; conforming to the masses is just not "metal"), but it does define what is good and what is not.

Evanesence's album is trash, in my opinion. However, the hordes like it. And if, somehow, it survives the test of time(which it won't, I guarantee, but nonetheless), it will be considered a good album. And if that happens, I can live with that. However, that fact that I don't like it determines whether I listen to it or not. There have been millions of musicians in the past 100 years. Only a fraction of those musicians have managed to create music that is geniunely 'good,' because it stood the test of time and was enjoyed by many as well.

See?

Reactions: The Devil's Steed
Dude, you are arguing with a nazi. It is not worth your time to argue with anyone that is a Christian,Nazi, etc............

Look, man. All my time on this board, I've heard how much people hate this guy for this and that. I think people are just afraid to have an intelligent discussion with him. He's probably some super-smart 16-year-old with nothing better to do than annoy people on message boards. Instead of running away from him or calling him an "elitist," I'll level with him and have a civilized discussion.

As much as I hate Nazism, I don't think it's a fair judgment to say it's not worth discussing with him. That's prejudiced. If I act on my prejudice, I'm no better than the Nazi doctrine I hate. See?

Demiurge says that TSOP sucks. And I'm defending the album, because it fucking owns and that's the bottom line.

Demiurge said:
The problem lies with individuals who appreciate a general aesthetic but fail to grasp its ideological merits(and its motivation). These people are destined to be metalheads or something similar. Their critical paradigm is "is it metal?"
The problem arises when the ideology of a band is considered more than the music they create. I'm sure you laud Graveland, but while his later work is interesting, the early albums are IMPOSSIBLY simple. You, however, would ignore that for the outspoken NS propaganda that Rob Darken puts out.

SpiritCrusherX said:
Alright, does someone want to fill me in on what the hell is going on here? The argument is very long and I don't feel like reading every post.
A scenario that I see all too often on metal boards. The Elitist/Nazi (who is undoubtedly an anus.com devotee) comes in and trashes an album cherished by fans. Cutting through his jargon and obscure references, you will realize his argument is either:

a. I don't like it because it doesn't suit my personal taste.
b. I don't like it because other people like it.

I love how these guys keep mentioning Atheist, Coroner and Cynic as if these are the only bands playing this style. Chuck was more influenced by Watchtower than any of those other bands. It's also important to note that Cynic weren't always playing Focus type material. It was Chuck Schuldiner that gave Paul Masvidal many of the ideas that were created on Focus. You can hear that through the lyrics in Focus that regard "Cosmic Sea" the instrumental on Human. I think the Jazz playing of Atheist can only really be heard from Steve DiGorgio on ITP. I didn't really hear any other Jazz-Fusion type stuff from Death. And while you guys praise the likes of Coroner, Cynic, etc. you fail to realize they play "Stadium Rock" as well. That is, of course, in terms of what you consider to be "Stadium Rock."

BeyondtheUnholyGrave said:
I love how these guys keep mentioning Atheist, Coroner and Cynic as if these are the only bands playing this style. Chuck was more influenced by Watchtower than any of those other bands. It's also important to note that Cynic weren't always playing Focus type material. It was Chuck Schuldiner that gave Paul Masvidal many of the ideas that were created on Focus. You can hear that through the lyrics in Focus that regard "Cosmic Sea" the instrumental on Human. I think the Jazz playing of Atheist can only really be heard from Steve DiGorgio on ITP. I didn't really hear any other Jazz-Fusion type stuff from Death. And while you guys praise the likes of Coroner, Cynic, etc. you fail to realize they play "Stadium Rock" as well. That is, of course, in terms of what you consider to be "Stadium Rock."
Demiurge, I believe the term is "owned."