Deathspell omega for the win

Lies and Perfidy

Gentleman of the Road
Nov 27, 2002
Washington, Washing-Ton
thefinger.wordpress.com
Those female voices in the background? Holeeee shit. And the sixteen different dissonant patterns going at once, with some sort of absolutely unfamothable guitar riff...Si Monumentum Requires is one of the most utterly CREEPYASSHIT things I've ever listened to. While stoned, this is just completely and totally absorbing, compelling, and outright terrifying.

Thumbs up.

You just reminded me that I need Kênose FFS :yell:
Is it me or it's quite expensive for an (long) EP? :loco:

Hell yeah! That's exactly what I've been for half a year now! The atmosphere is right up there with "Transilvanian Hunger", for crying out loud! And I'm not one to bestow such a compliment upon a band easily!

Kénôse also sounds great, by the way! I haven't had time to let it sink in properly yet, and the actual album haven't even arrived, but so far, really great!

Seconded, this band is the absolute number one discovery of the past five years in terms of infamous black metal. I need to dig the older stuff as well, which is said to be more "classical" and raw.

"Carnal Malefactor" = fucking best BM song since "Transilvanian Hunger". A chill factory!

Their older stuff (at least Inquisitors of Satan) is _a lot_ more straight forward, but still very enjoyable, though nowhere near SMRC.

The material of theirs on the split with Clandestine Blaze was really nice as well, and surprisingly so was CB's which I had simply ignored thinking it was the classical run of the mill shrill and shrieky finnish black metal. But what I found was slow and brooding black metal with heaps of atmosphere, topped with Mikko's great vocals (in all likelihood he's also doing the SMRC vocals, in case you didn't know already, though he himself denies it; otherwise he's got a vocalist twin with the exact lousy broken english as him :loco: )

Older Deathspell Omega stuff is really great, although some of it is nearly impossible to get in any format.

If you like Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and Kénôse, you should also check Malicious Secrets/Deathspell Omega split LP, that includes 18 minute DsO-track Mass Grave Aesthetics.

M.Lehto said:
If you like Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and Kénôse, you should also check Malicious Secrets/Deathspell Omega split LP, that includes 18 minute DsO-track Mass Grave Aesthetics.

I've been thinking of getting that one, how is it other than the DSO stuff? I mean the other discs

spaffe said:
I've been thinking of getting that one, how is it other than the DSO stuff? I mean the other discs

It's ok, but not really my cup of tea when it comes to black metal. Mütiilation covers My Way :D

M.Lehto said:
Older Deathspell Omega stuff is really great, although some of it is nearly impossible to get in any format.

Someone can put that on PC ? :loco:

M.Lehto said:
It's ok, but not really my cup of tea when it comes to black metal. Mütiilation covers My Way :D

Haha cool :D
I've only heard Malicious Secrets' EP and that was not very impressing at all, so I'm somewhat hesitant spending 30€ for the entire package... we shall see, I don't have any money now so there's really no problem yet :]

P.S. Väre kicks immense amounts of ass; I stand corrected and owned by their greatness :loco:

Crimson Velvet said:
Hell yeah! That's exactly what I've been for half a year now! The atmosphere is right up there with "Transilvanian Hunger", for crying out loud! And I'm not one to bestow such a compliment upon a band easily!

Kénôse also sounds great, by the way! I haven't had time to let it sink in properly yet, and the actual album haven't even arrived, but so far, really great!

Yes!

Vinyl-version of Kénôse is now out too. It has 40-pages, 12" size booklet and with heavy vinyl, the whole package weights over 500 gr.

Just ordered mine with some Shining-vinyl.

Which DO release are people listing in their 2005 top 10 lists? Is it the Kenose EP?

Haven't heard much about it. Is it as outstanding as Si Monumentum?

Yeah, that's the one. And no, it's a long shot from being "Si Momentum". I'd give "Kénöse" 7/10; far above average, but with plenty of room for improvement.

Honestly what has kept me from hearing them all of these days/months/years/etc was just the name "Deathspell Omega". Shouldn't judge a book by its cover, right?