Delain vs. Epica?

You really should look up Nightwish. ;)

As many here know, I am a Johnny Come Lately to ProgPower (IX was my first), and Nightwish last played here in 2003. I love Nightwish's sound, and Tarja was a big part of that. I have not listened to any of their stuff with Annette, yet. Epica and Delain, on the other hand, have been here recently and/or are coming soon.

This was not meant to be a "competition", and I recognized their differing styles when I offered up the post. I was just curious about how different folks around here viewed the offerings. I really appreciate the honest answers.

Given a choice to buy a newest release from either band, I'd probably choose "Both."

As many here know, I am a Johnny Come Lately to ProgPower (IX was my first), and Nightwish last played here in 2003. I love Nightwish's sound, and Tarja was a big part of that. I have not listened to any of their stuff with Annette, yet. Epica and Delain, on the other hand, have been here recently and/or are coming soon.

The only reason why I said that was because you stated that "Epica and Delain are the two biggest female-fronted bands to ever grace the stage of ProgPower" (paraphrasing). Nightwish is bigger than those two combined. :)

Valid point, although that may change with absence of Tarja. I should have included the word "recently."

My bad.

Don't apologize, it's all good. :)

We'll see how Nightwish goes with their new release coming out soon... they're still a big machine, so... I hope ALL three bands continue strong and grow even more.

Nightwish's popularity has increased dramatically in all aspects since Tarja's departure. This can be validated easily enough with both album & ticket sales.

And this is why YOU are the promoter, and I'm a fan.

I'm bummed I missed them at Masq in '09, hopefullly there will be another Atlanta date and an American tour in the next couple years. I can't fly to California to see them in January... maybe they will pick up some USA shows between the Cruise and their return to Europe in April.

I will get crap for this, but I am a more recent Nightwish fan, and while I agree Tarja is extremely talented, I fell in love with Dark Passion Play! Can't wait for Imaginaerum!

Nightwish's popularity has increased dramatically in all aspects since Tarja's departure. This can be validated easily enough with both album & ticket sales.

Preach it Glenn!!!!! What you said is very very true and the latest movie and CD should be an indication on how popular they have gotten since 2005. You won't find a non popular band making a full lenght movie so that should tell you something. I loved both NW eras and many people don't give Annette the respect she deserves. She is one of the most couragious women out there. Just imagine being in her shoes and taking all of the bad press and all of the hard core NW fans bad mouthing her and she is still the singer of NW. This girls has mucho balls. BRAVO ANETTE!!!!!!! :)

But back to topic, I love Delain and Epica but I would say I am more of a Delain fan which is probably obvious since I have a fansite for them. I have just recently started liking Epica because of MaYaN. In the past I tried and tired to like them but they are one of those bands that you want to like so bad but they just don't reach you. Well then I heard their version of the Imperial March and me being a hugh Star Wars fan I was SOLD!!!!!! Now I can't wait to see them and I hope they bring my friends from Delain with them on their US tour. :)