Epica and Amaranthe

ICEDEARTHFAN

IN MEMORY.....
Sep 24, 2008
Northeast Alabama
At last year's Progpower I came into that event not giving any band fronted by a female a listen cause it just didn't seem appealing to me.Then I sat through one of the best sets I've ever heard live at the 3 years I've been to Center Stage......and yes it was a female fronted band called Delain.
Since then I have always given any band with a female singer at least a listen to see if it grabbed me the way Delain's music did.Well,I'm here to say both Epica and Amaranthe have grabbed me and I can't stop listening to them!!!
I love the mixture of harsh and clean vocals.This may end up being the best Progpower yet for me and that's not even counting the power metal bands I get to see!!!!

Epica for some reason is still underrated. I'm looking forward to seeing them live since their music has developed and progressed a lot over the years. Their last album showed quite a "new side" of the band so to speak...

Amaranthe is catchy but I still need to listen to the album a bit more before I can say I love the band. The single is amazing, though.

Amaranthe is catchy but I still need to listen to the album a bit more before I can say I love the band. The single is amazing, though.

After one runthrough with the album, I felt it was a little repetitive. Maybe it will grow on me over time.

Epica, tho, has grown into a pretty good band. Simone Simons is amazing. (Tho, on the trip back, some of the guys I talked to wondered if her health problems from the last tour would be an issue.)

After one runthrough with the album, I felt it was a little repetitive. Maybe it will grow on me over time.

Epica, tho, has grown into a pretty good band. Simone Simons is amazing. (Tho, on the trip back, some of the guys I talked to wondered if her health problems from the last tour would be an issue.)

I believe Simone's health problem was an issue two tours ago.

Amaranthe may need time to fully develop what they can do with the three vacalists at their disposal. They are excellent musicians, all.

Not to mention that Jake and Elize are some of the funniest people on the planet.

Too bad they are both so butt ugly.

Epica for some reason is still underrated. I'm looking forward to seeing them live since their music has developed and progressed a lot over the years. Their last album showed quite a "new side" of the band so to speak...

I know a lot of people that like early Epica but don't like current Epica. I don't get it as I think they're as great now (if not better) than they've always been.

Amaranthe I have to investigate.

I like both bands live. Epica were great the first two times I saw them, but a bit subpar the third time, which wasn't entirely their fault - the sound was pretty bad and the setlist kinda lagged. It'll be cool to see them in a proper venue with great sound. :) Maybe they'll do something special?

I know a lot of people that like early Epica but don't like current Epica. I don't get it as I think they're as great now (if not better) than they've always been.

Musically, I think current Epica is great! I just wish their lyrics were better, and they'd tone down the cheesy voiceovers a bit. :(

I think the latest Epica album is the best. It's far more interesting musically than the previous output, and Simone's vocals and vocal style has improved in leaps and bounds.

I'm loving Amaranthe's album! Definitely looking forward to them. I'm also looking forward to meeting Olof, the guitar player, and asking him what the heck is up with Dragonland. :D

I have listened to the new Amaranthe album several times now. I have to agree that it is some what repetitive. But "Hungry" and "Automatic" are songs that I have been humming for days now. I think hope they perform well live.

Amaranthe may need time to fully develop what they can do with the three vacalists at their disposal. They are excellent musicians, all.

Not to mention that Jake and Elize are some of the funniest people on the planet.

I'm expecting a new album by the time prog power rolls around again. I agree that their debut album is a bit repetitive, but I'm looking forward to see what they can do with a follow up.
I can count on one hand all the bands I like that don't have a crappy first album.

I loved Epica when we saw them a few years ago and I can't wait to see Amaranthe live!! Should be a great show!

PS Seven Kingdoms rocks too! ;)

WUT!?????!? I think they're both gorgeous! In fact; I am now on a personal mission to make touching Jake's dreadlocks my goal for next ProgPower!!

As for Epica - I like their music and they are good live but Simone seems very stand-offish and the lyrics need MAJOR work. When I listen to the music I have to ignore the lyrics - otherwise I start to giggle.

m/ sorry for the shameless self promotion. I just feel we got overlooked because of the placement of where we were last time.

I dont know if you have checked out the whole self titled album but a few songs have the harsh/clean chick back and fourth deal, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjvozHFEPE

Honestly I've started to grow even further away from harsh vocals (personal taste) and all of our new stuff isn't going to have a lick of harsh vocals. I did enjoy Epica's last release though. I still have to check out Amaranthe more. The first song I heard is painfully catchy + 1 for ridiculous music video with explosions.

I picked up your latest at Lance's table this year and am really liking it. Don't get rid of the harsh vox just for the sake of doing so, if they fit, they fit. Amaranthe is a good comparison, which I also picked up on saturday pre-sale and really digging it...there may be a bit of sameyness throughout but it's short enough not to bore, very much looking forward to seeing them next year.

WUT!?????!? I think they're both gorgeous! In fact; I am now on a personal mission to make touching Jake's dreadlocks my goal for next ProgPower!!

As for Epica - I like their music and they are good live but Simone seems very stand-offish and the lyrics need MAJOR work. When I listen to the music I have to ignore the lyrics - otherwise I start to giggle.
He was being funny, obviously.

He was being funny, obviously.

Thank you for getting me. So few do, apparently.

One of my favorite moments from last year's PP was taking a picture with Jake and Elize - I'm pretty sure we were all a bit tipsy, and Elize kept wanting to take more pics because she didn't like the angle, or Jake was making a stupid face... or SHE was making a stupid face.

Listening to "Director's Cut" off of Amaranthe's album now. What will be fun is getting 3 people together to attempt their songs in Karaoke.

One of my favorite moments from last year's PP was taking a picture with Jake and Elize - I'm pretty sure we were all a bit tipsy, and Elize kept wanting to take more pics because she didn't like the angle, or Jake was making a stupid face... or SHE was making a stupid face.

<3 the Amaranthe peeps! I asked Jake to sign my PPUSA shirt and he drew a heart on it. :oops:

... and then I washed it. Gone forever. LESSON LEARNED.

Also, Elize? TOTAL sweetheart. She is SO nice. And when I saw Kamelot a few weeks ago, she was the only one who really knew how to work the tour bus. Everyone else had to look to her for help. :lol: