Deliverance = YYZ?

wwallinga

Working on #3
Jan 26, 2004
NH/ME Border
So I'm watching the Lamentations DVD and De-liv-er-ance starts off and my wife says, "isn't this like that Rush song?"

I haven't actually listened to them back-to-back, but what do you think? I know this is another one of those Opeth-sounds-like-this-band threads, but, whatever...

Yours Truly,

Resident N00B

They sound pretty much nothing alike at all. Tell your wife she needs to put the beer and crack down.

Although I don't think they sound a lot alike, I can see SOME similarity between the weird rhythm at the beginning of Deliverance and the Morse code riff at the beginning of YYZ...

Why is it that every time I start a thread, many people don't actually go to the trouble of reading it before they say something stupid? I KNOW Rush doesn't have death vocals. Thank you Captain Obvious. I was only talking about the beat of the intro. And, yes, I know, they aren't the same. I was merely sharing something that I thought was interesting / thought provoking / completely pointless. Now, my wife, who is 7 months pregnant, is being called a drug user. Try this next time:

"Nope - they don't sound the same to me! You, my friend, have sub-par intelligence!"

- or -

"Although I admire your effort, I feel that what you have suggested is nothing short of the intellectual equivalent of an SBD."

- or, finally -

"Just reading your post depressed me to a level where I am now gnawing through my own wrists to try to stop the mental anguish..."

It seems like every time someone posts, we have to sift through the garbage replies before finding anything worth considerable attention. Maybe that's why there are a lot of people who think this board sucks.

If you're going to insult someone - put some effort into it!

wwallinga said:
It seems like every time someone posts, we have to sift through the garbage replies before finding anything worth considerable attention. Maybe that's why there are a lot of people who think this board sucks.

If you're going to insult someone - put some effort into it!
I agree. Too much garbage on this forum. :puke:

well, dunno about the beginning of the song, but my girlfriend once mentioned that the bit of the song that goes "The piercing sound you make.... And once left in my wake....etc etc" (the quiet and chilled riff) sounded VERY similiar to a RUSH song...cant remember which now....probably not the vocal melody, the the feel and drum beat etc.....strange

oh well, when i saw the rush dvd "rush in rio" and listened to YYZ i thought the same... only the begining of the song

wwallinga said:
So I'm watching the Lamentations DVD and De-liv-er-ance starts off and my wife says, "isn't this like that Rush song?"

I haven't actually listened to them back-to-back, but what do you think? I know this is another one of those Opeth-sounds-like-this-band threads, but, whatever...

Yours Truly,

Resident N00B

the beginning is alot like a death metal version of YYZ but then Lopez does that awesome fill in and it turns into something much better..