Demilich, I invite you in

I can't stop listening to certain tracks from I Looked Up lately... namely all of Mike's songs. Black Jack Davy and The Letter especially... great stuff!

I was just gonna ask you about something related that I saw on a website somewhere.

I read that Mike Heron and Clive Palmer are doing at least one show this year. Then I saw a gig poster from a show they did in November last year, billed as Heron & Palmer playing ISB and COB songs... holy FUCK would I have loved to travel to the UK for that.

I can't find the site I read about the 2009 show, any idea about that? I'd seriously consider going anywhere in the world for these guys, especially Heron, possibly my favourite songwriter of all time.

I think it's been overlooked so far in this thread and others of the sort, but back in his hippie years - ie. previous to dumping dope and turning uninspired and successful - Mike Oldfield made some kickass records which certainly qualify as "kraut" of the weirdest stamp. His masterpiece is probably Ommadawn, which makes me think of a crossover between some Popol Vuh and Pink Floyd's soundtrack work. Like great musicians jamming at a hobbit fair.

Really out there and beautiful. Get it.

Mike-Oldfield-Ommadawn-383679%5B1%5D.jpg

http://lix.in/-3bfc99

I'm totally getting that, even though I wouldn't know his uninspired and successful work anyways!

Pearls Before Swine's "Balaklava" is the one thats working the magic for me the past little while...

especially songs like Suzanne, Guardian Angels etc...

edit: Ellestin, have you seen the full video version of Be Glad For the Song Has No Ending? some cool stuff in there

Has Spirogyra been mentioned?!

I have, many times, but not in this thread I think. Their two first albums are classics.

Who did mention Mellow Candle, was it you? Totally digging that band. Kind of a Trees copycat, with a blues influence and even more cool songs.

@Demilich: Yeah I saw Be Glad... Very interesting first part with the documentary. Wish it was longer and the insight into the band more developed instead of a couple features thrown together. The film part is also quite special. Great acoustic guitar playing. Not too much into the whole farce with the pirate though.

@Demilich: Yeah I saw Be Glad... Very interesting first part with the documentary. Wish it was longer and the insight into the band more developed instead of a couple features thrown together. The film part is also quite special. Great acoustic guitar playing. Not too much into the whole farce with the pirate though.

Agreed, totally.

And I'm finally starting to get into Spirogyra's St Radigunds, I have no idea what took so long!

Fuck, I hope I can somehow go to this, but its in the UK I suppose? Sounds fucking expensive!

Been meaning to check out Spirogyra for weeks, but there is too much ahead of it on the list atm

Ellestin: I mentioned Mellow Candle, motherfucker, and yes. . . a more ominous version of Trees, methinks.

Fuck, I hope I can somehow go to this, but its in the UK I suppose? Sounds fucking expensive!

it's almost sold out anyway... and hard to organize now with the little time ahead, even from Paris. Gotta make up my mind this w/e but it's less than 50-50 really. I'll sleep on it and maybe wake up with a strong resolve. Wish I had caught wind of this much sooner...

@ Dicky on Mellow Candle: yep, exactly that. Neat songwriting too, with some unexpected chord progressions. Not surprising that the lead singer would go on creating bands and writing music up to this day. Gotta check her other projects at some point.

Wow Demileech had you seen that one?

One of my favourite songs, and such a superb filmed rendition. Rose looks totally lobotomized :lol:. I hope more ISB footage will surface in time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as that's part of Be Glad For the Song Has No Ending I've seen it a couple times. Downloaded it from piratebay and burned it to a dvd.

It is good, but I much, much prefer the earlier version of the song from the Chelsea sessions