Demo songs from In Absentia

samoniac

Oct 20, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
I just downloaded Porcupine Tree's demo song named Cut Ribbon and it fucking rocks. It's unbelievable how they have so many killer songs which are not in any album. Take for example Buying New Soul and Stars Die. They are among the best Porcupine Tree songs ever...hell...they are among the best songs by any band ever and are not even included in any album.

Now there's one more, Cut Ribbon. I think it's better than any song on In Absentia - some are pretty close to it, but most are way behind. It has the most notable Opeth influences and the atmosphere is similar to Drapery Falls I would say.

There's also another demo song from IA sessions I would like to hear. It's named either as Demo Song #2 or as Something to Say. Does anyone know where I can get it? I'd be happy if someone would like to send it to me through ICQ, IRC or FTP (for example). :) I know that Steven Wilson isn't very happy about that, but hey...I'm a hardcore fan. ;)

digitalmetalcom said:
No, it was on a label promo before "In Absentia" that leaked. It's completely unofficial and something Wilson would better like if you deleted it from your hard drive.

Apparently the band thought it was too OTT for the album, and they didn't want to stray too close into Dream Theater'esque sounds.

i concur with all the buying new soul praise. definitely one of my top pt songs. unfortunately the song that follows it is the worst song pt's ever released.

Demonspell said:
I don't hear any explicit Opeth references in the song, but it is the heaviest thing PT has ever done and it's coda is similar in feel to that of Deliverance...
Well I'm not a musician, but I find the section where there's a heavy riff and a haunting guitar playing behind it pretty similar to Drapery Falls in terms of feeling. Also the "You are so very pure my child" section is somewhat similar to DF.

Bah, got a copy of In Absentia and I didn't like it. Though I wanted to check out the band because Opeth are so heavily influenced by them, but it was nothing that got me hooked. Opeth is sooo much better. Perhaps if I gave it some more listens....

I managed to get half of Cut Ribbon last night, it floored me Fuck it's incredible, I hope more becomes of it!

I know Mikael has commented on working on stuff like this with Steve

Prays
Prays
Prays!!!