demonic vocals (recommendations)

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
I have recently been listening to more brutal death metal and black metal and I have heard some fairly brutal vocals from both styles, but I am currently trying to hear something more on the extreme side, with frightening vocals of the demonic variety. This may sound like a stupid question but what would be the best bands that have the most exteme screeching vocals or low growls in the black or death metal realm or even grindcore, sorry no drone or doom, kthnx

MasterOLightning said:
Try Akercocke for some really, really good BM and DM style work.

I'm not a huge fan of the band, but try Weakling for some good Burzum style vocals.
Yeah I have heard some of their stuff and I hate the clean singing, I am looking for something much more extreme though not necessarily of the death vox style.

Benighted1 said:
Decapitated- Winds of Creation (album) for some brutal death metal!!
Actually I have recently heard alot of Decapitated and they are definitely a good recommendation, but not exactly what I am looking for in terms of style.

For an idea of the effect I am looking for, look at my sig :lol: :heh: :heh: :lol:

EchoOfAutumn said:
I always thoght Nile had some brutal low end death metal vocals, that and Pig Destroyer has good examples of grindcore type vocals, for those high end type death vocals, but thats just me...
Once again I have heard them and I am looking for something a bit more extreme, concerning Pig Destroyer the bandname ruins it all for me and I have heard but didn't like them.

Wrest from Leviathan probably fits the description. Tentacles of Whorror is a good place to start, if you haven't heard it.
You also might want to hear the vocalist from Esoteric. Any of their albums will do, but Metamorphogenesis and parts of The Pernicious Enigma (eg. the last song 'passing through matter') particularly demand a listen. Emotion-draining, lifeless doom.

edit: just noticed metal_wrath was asking for no doom bands. but i will let Esoteric stand if anyone else was interested.

metal_wrath said:
I have recently been listening to more brutal death metal and black metal and I have heard some fairly brutal vocals from both styles, but I am currently trying to hear something more on the extreme side, with frightening vocals of the demonic variety. This may sound like a stupid question but what would be the best bands that have the most exteme screeching vocals or low growls in the black or death metal realm or even grindcore, sorry no drone or doom, kthnx

No doom? Sheeeiiit... some of the most brutal death vocals I have heard have been from a death-doom band called Thorr's Hammer, and the singer was a beautiful young Norwegian girl! (Maybe she still is, I don't know... :p) Disembowelment and Mournful Congregation also have incredibly deep vocals but again, they're both doom.

Extreme screeching vocals... uh... Fleurety had some extremely fucked up screeching on one of their albums that apparently ruined the singer's throat, it's way higher than anything I've heard. Anyway... you could just listen to stuff like Naglfar, Dark Funeral, etc, even if people criticise the music I think it's still decent, and the vocals are good. Also have a go at an Aussie band called Astriaal - http://www.myspace.com/astriaal1

runhild from thorr's hammer was indeed talented, ihsahn from emperor's old girlfriend as well. stephen omalley was also in thorr's hammer, one of his old bands before forming his newer and definitely more profitable projects of the current scene. Its a little off topic to go into all that, but ill say that if you dont know who stephen omalley is, chances are you listen to orphaned land and riverside.