Departer

I normally don't like the high pitched girly airy voice stuff...but I think KL does a solid fucking job on the song and I really enjoy his vocals.

If only it were all Jonas...

What an unfortunate fate for this stunning song. When the song started up and I heard that chilling music and Jonas's amazing vocals, I was prepared to declare this my top favorite Katatonia song EVER. I can't even sing along with the lyrics because I get choked up by how beautiful (yet sad) the song sounds. And then Krister Linder comes in and (for me) ruins this beautiful song. I don't like his voice in the least. I completely understand the concept behind the song and how it's two brothers talking and Krister is the one talking after "Jonas" died (comitted suicide?). Even if it would have been a female vocalist singing Krister's parts I would have liked it a lot better. I kept hoping that Jonas would at least come back for a final chorus with Krister, but alas, he did not return. :erk: I would love to hear an "all Jonas" version. I can listen to the first 2 minutes over and over and it never fails to bring a tear to my eye. However, any tears after the Jonas parts are from realizing the immense lost potential of this song being AMAZING without Krister singing. I mean, I'd rather hear Krister over say, a grunter....but that's about the very best I can say. What a shame. :erk:
Jack

lmao, some of these comments are hilarious.

Thanks for your astounding input.

And to FlawedCoil82:

"I completely understand the concept behind the song and how it's two brothers talking and Krister is the one talking after "Jonas" died (comitted suicide?)."

I believe it's actually backwards. Krister is the one who is gone. Jonas' entire part is basically lamenting over the loss. In particular these lines by Jonas show this:

"I'm turning around
Wait for your sound"
and
"Only so far
According to who?"

and then this line by Krister:

"So close
If only you knew
Defender"

I think it would have been a bit bland with only Jonas. Well. Maybe not bland, but having two different vocalists fits the lyrics much better. Also, Krister sounds amazing. First time I've heard a guy pull off airy vocals without sounding like a girl.

I think a few of you are concentrating way to much on the whole death thing. To me it's simply about the dynamics between siblings; the rivalry, and often the resentment that it often brings. The timid (I'm guessing younger) brother feels overshadowed by his brasher brother, and he has to learn not to be dependent. Vice versa the brasher brother needs to learn to distance himself in order for the other to become his own man. It's about coming to the point where you realize you have to go your own separate path. Departer.

... Well that's just what I make of it anyhow.

I think a few of you are concentrating way to much on the whole death thing. To me it's simply about the dynamics between siblings; the rivalry, and often the resentment that it often brings. The timid (I'm guessing younger) brother feels overshadowed by his brasher brother, and he has to learn not to be dependent. Vice versa the brasher brother needs to learn to distance himself in order for the other to become his own man. It's about coming to the point where you realize you have to go your own separate path. Departer.

... Well that's just what I make of it anyhow.

I draw the same thing from my experience with the song.

I also think this song is telling us that no matter what happens in our lives, no matter what we believe, or where we go when we die, we will all leave behind stories for the rest of the world to tell and reflect on. Every person will have a story to be told, and we're the ones writing it. every day.

What an unfortunate fate for this stunning song. When the song started up and I heard that chilling music and Jonas's amazing vocals, I was prepared to declare this my top favorite Katatonia song EVER. I can't even sing along with the lyrics because I get choked up by how beautiful (yet sad) the song sounds. And then Krister Linder comes in and (for me) ruins this beautiful song. I don't like his voice in the least. I completely understand the concept behind the song and how it's two brothers talking and Krister is the one talking after "Jonas" died (comitted suicide?). Even if it would have been a female vocalist singing Krister's parts I would have liked it a lot better. I kept hoping that Jonas would at least come back for a final chorus with Krister, but alas, he did not return. :erk: I would love to hear an "all Jonas" version. I can listen to the first 2 minutes over and over and it never fails to bring a tear to my eye. However, any tears after the Jonas parts are from realizing the immense lost potential of this song being AMAZING without Krister singing. I mean, I'd rather hear Krister over say, a grunter....but that's about the very best I can say. What a shame. :erk:
Jack

Ok, I don't normally say things such as this but...have you freaking gone mad???

How can you NOT realize it's this contrast that makes this entire song work??? I'll be the first to readily admit Jonas is an incredible vocalist but I'll flat out say now that I'd be disappointed had Krister NOT been included. He gives me the chills when his words come in - such a powerful moment in contrast to Jonas' emotive approach.

Such a shame certain people just cannot understand what is trying to be done here. I mean, if anything, Jonas' moment is even more amazing because it has that one significant, emotional part; the opening, which is supposed to be more depressive. And here comes Krister delivering a more soaring, epic vibe. He was an excellent choice and am a HUGE fan of his after hearing his solo work. I guess since I was looking forward to his role on this album I come away remarkably impressed.

LINDER (fixed haha) and Renkse should actually create a side project together haha - I'd be totally in for that! :headbang:

their voices fit so perfect in that malinconic melodies....
i think that this song will shed so much tears and feelings that we will always remember.

i hope this will be the second single with a whole video with the band and linder

Ok, I don't normally say things such as this but...have you freaking gone mad???

How can you NOT realize it's this contrast that makes this entire song work???

So if it were any other vocalist, the contrast wouldn't exist? I don't think so. Sorry.

Linder's annunciation is flat out irritating. His voice is not at all emotional. I clearly understand the concept behind this song, but that doesn't mean they needed to resort to such a crappy singer.

I mean, if anything, Jonas' moment is even more amazing because it has that one significant, emotional part; the opening, which is supposed to be more depressive. And here comes Krister delivering a more soaring, epic vibe. He was an excellent choice and am a HUGE fan of his after hearing his solo work. I guess since I was looking forward to his role on this album I come away remarkably impressed.

Nope. All it did was make me realize just how much better Jonas was and what a wasted potential this song was to be incredible all the way through instead of only half of it being incredible. Like desiredusername said, just about ANY vocalist would have provided the same contrast that you claim makes the song so unique. If they were going to have someone else taking over vocals from Jonas then they need to have someone who is equally as impressive to sing instead of Jonas. They really have something to prove if Jonas is going to be quiet to them. I was completely underwhelmed by Krister's gaspy voice. It wasn't near as haunting or soothing to listen to. I even cringed on a few of his lines. "Departer" was destined to be my favorite song off the entire album until I heard Krister's voice. That shot the entire song down to the very bottom of my list of ranking songs in order from favorite to least favorite and is, by far, my least favorite moment on the entire album. A final chorus with both Jonas/Krister would have at least rescued it from being dropped to the very bottom.

As I have stated in other threads though, I am also not at all a fan of "contrast". I don't want to hear one amazing singer and one terrible or unimpressive one in the same song. The whole "beauty and the beast" vocals that come from femme fronted bands who have the unfortunate male grunters slaughtering all the power/beauty the women singers build up makes me feel ill to listen to. I want BOTH vocalists to be equal in the power and beauty that they deliver instead of making me realize just how much better one is from the other. Krister is probably a talented vocalist (in fact, what I heard from Enter The Hunt, I liked better than his performance in this song). But his voice against Jonas's is not even a contest. I want to be "Wow!!ed" by both vocalists. I still think that a woman's voice (a non-opera/soprano one) would have worked far better with Jonas than Kristers did. If Jonas/Krister really are supposed to be singing "brothers" then it is extremely easy to tell which of them got the shortest end of the stick when it came to singing genes.
Jack

You know, the more I listen to it, the more I like Linder's part. I think I actually like it better than Jonas' part. Don't get me wrong, Jonas is my favorite singer ever, but something about it gets me.

I will be honest, when I first heard the guest vocal part, I was furious. Jonas is a master and definitely my favourite vocalist, so naturally, I want him singing everything.

But with every listen to the album, I am feeling the dynamic of the two vocal parts. The music is too amazing to dislike anything about the track. I actually have no issues with Krister's vocals at all. Just a little disappointment with someone taking Jonas' spotlight initially, ha. Great track.