Departer

Quit bitching. I think the song turned out absolutly amazing. Better than if it was just Jonas by himself even.

I wont lie. I'm dissapointed that the song isn't just jonas. Esp when he gives my fav performance of the whole album! but the other dude is pretty good. Its just mostly werid that the last person you hear on the album is not jonas. I get the concept(I think) but I still keep waiting for jonas to bring th e track home or sing with whatshisname. No matter its still one of the best tracks this year and maybe kata's best album closer!

Yea I'm a little disappointed they didn't at least sing together as well, it seemed like that would have been inevitable in that kind of song, but yes yes I get the "concept" or whatnot, and why they didn't do that, still doesn't mean it isn't disappointing.

I agree with people saying it would have been better with just jonas, his voice just fit with it much better, though it's still a fantastic song.

i loved the idea of KL doing guest vox on the album a few months ago but i guess im the only one who thinks he half assed the proformance. i was excpecting to do something with the intensity like his solo stuff
this

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. All it did was make me realize just how much better Jonas was and what a wasted potential this song was to be incredible all the way through instead of only half of it being incredible. Like desiredusername said, just about ANY vocalist would have provided the same contrast that you claim makes the song so unique. If they were going to have someone else taking over vocals from Jonas then they need to have someone who is equally as impressive to sing instead of Jonas. They really have something to prove if Jonas is going to be quiet to them. I was completely underwhelmed by Krister's gaspy voice. It wasn't near as haunting or soothing to listen to. I even cringed on a few of his lines. "Departer" was destined to be my favorite song off the entire album until I heard Krister's voice. That shot the entire song down to the very bottom of my list of ranking songs in order from favorite to least favorite and is, by far, my least favorite moment on the entire album. A final chorus with both Jonas/Krister would have at least rescued it from being dropped to the very bottom.

As I have stated in other threads though, I am also not at all a fan of "contrast". I don't want to hear one amazing singer and one terrible or unimpressive one in the same song. The whole "beauty and the beast" vocals that come from femme fronted bands who have the unfortunate male grunters slaughtering all the power/beauty the women singers build up makes me feel ill to listen to. I want BOTH vocalists to be equal in the power and beauty that they deliver instead of making me realize just how much better one is from the other. Krister is probably a talented vocalist (in fact, what I heard from Enter The Hunt, I liked better than his performance in this song). But his voice against Jonas's is not even a contest. I want to be "Wow!!ed" by both vocalists. I still think that a woman's voice (a non-opera/soprano one) would have worked far better with Jonas than Kristers did. If Jonas/Krister really are supposed to be singing "brothers" then it is extremely easy to tell which of them got the shortest end of the stick when it came to singing genes.
Jack

Just be sure you realise it's a matter of taste here.
Objectively speaking Krister Linder is maybe just as amazing as Jonas.
Only you apparently (that has been made pretty clear :p) don't like Krister's voice at all and I for example totally love it.
He does a great job at putting a lot of emotion in that vocal track and I like the "airiness" of his voice

That's pretty fair. I don't think Krister has a bad voice overall. I actually like him in that song that Lyre's Harmony posted, as well as some of the stuff I have heard from Enter The Hunt. For that style (and when he is not singing against someone like Jonas) I don't mind his voice. But given a choice between the two, I would much rather hear Jonas than Krister if it means one of them has to be silent the rest of a song. They could have solved the whole problem and made me feel much better about "Departer" if Jonas would have returned and sang a final chorus with Krister. At least then it would have felt more like a proper ending to a Katatonia cd, instead of Jonas just handing the microphone over to Krister and walking out mid-song like how it sounds on the cd. But compare Krister's voice to any grunter out there though and I can guarantee I would go with Krister every time. I don't hate the guy's voice, moreso I just hate how it was used and how it replaced Jonas (instead of complimenting Jonas). :)
Jack