depression

in2thenight

black halo
Oct 28, 2001
Surrey, UK
a lot of people here talk about being depressed or feeling down a lot of the time...
i was wondering, do you think we listen to the kind of music we do eg. opeth because we are depressed/down, or are we depressed/down because we listen to that music?

just a thought....

Sometimes I feel like I live the music, and Im experience the music first hand in life...At the same time I would not be suprised, if there is some phychological link between depressing music, and the effect on the brain to make u experience the depression first hand. In fact im about 90% sure this is the case.

wheres lina, and her statistics when u need them bah! :p

Metal doesn't depress me. in fact, i thought the stereotype for metal was that it would make you an angst-ridden, satan-worshiping lunatic, not a depressed person..

Pink Floyd can still give me the blues, though.

-iz

a lot of people here talk about being depressed or feeling down a lot of the time...
i was wondering, do you think we listen to the kind of music we do eg. opeth because we are depressed/down, or are we depressed/down because we listen to that music?

just a thought....
Is not goth you know..

Music doesn't effect me ussually.

"Happy" music makes me homicidal though.

I'm a barbie girl, In a barbie world SNAP!!! RAAAAGH!! SMASH!!! KILLL!!! STAB!!! CUT!!!

J-Pop is an exception though.. That actually does make me happy.. and snuggly.. Makes me want to cuddle little 14 year old pop idols!

On the surface - I'd say neither

At least from what I've seen - music may have an effect on somebody who is depressed, but I don't see it as a cause. Music is an outlet for many - some look for music to sooth them. Sometimes, the music may hit you in a certain way and effect you, and take you up/down.

Neither for me too. But because I'm a masochist, I sometimes listen something depressing/sad (for example Katatonia) when I'm down and make myself feel even worse.

Originally posted by in2thenight

just a thought....
At the most the music can maybe make you experience your emotions a bit more strongly, or make you stop hiding them, but in most cases i wouldnt think the music would make you depressed.

I listen to something depressing when i'm sad too (like some people said). Maybe i want a music that mirrors me in those moments.
I think that sometimes this kind of music could "help" sadness and make us feel worse, but i think also that this music is full of emotions (opposed to some other music) and this is why it make us feel happy or sad..it's involving.

depressing stuff usually calm me down and take me from anger and frustration and wanting to kill something or jump out the window, to depression, calm and tears.. which is a great deal of help.. i dunno why.. hmm strange :err:

whatever you do, don't listen to Bethlehem when your down... hahahaha because you will do it, if ya know what I mean. Depressing shit, sounds like someone is choking the guy and he is singing with whatever air he has left hahahaha

Music is not depressing, it gives you emotions.
To be depressed means to lose interest in everything, it's like being a living dead. Even the saddest and most desperate music makes me feel alive and gives me energy, it can also make me cry, but that's far away from being depressed!