Metal and Depression

I live a great life. I love my family and I appreciate the simple things in life. I listen to metal because I just like the music.

its the kiddies who get brainwashed and don't understand, depression sells so some nu-metal bands say crap and make them feel worse, thats why people should try premoting other types of music, like Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth and bands like those are actually fun to listen to and aren't depressing

i would say black and death metal but that will only create more idiots who take it too seriously

metal is all about having fun, it's fun to listen to metal and so i listen to it, i'm a freak and proud of it, so the weirder the bands the more i like them, my friend thinks i'm a freak for liking marilyn manson and cradle of filth and the kovenant, well i don't give a fuck

metal is all great and i like most metal out there, and i hardly ever get depressed but pissed when people are depressed

I think that metalheads aren't depressed all the time, I think we're just really intense. We feel things deeply, good and bad. When something really good happens to us, we get really pumped up and excited. When something bad happens, it really drags us down...down farther than anyone should ever go. I know that I have problems getting out of bed every morning because I get so depressed about certain aspects of my life. Metal helps me cope with that and gives me an outlet...not just the metal I listen to but the metal I play as well.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I don't even understand the concept of depression, really.
Maybe cause ur 14years old and never stepped outside your fucking computer room.

Avgrund said:
Maybe cause ur 14years old and never stepped out of your fucking room.
Heh. Maybe it's because I don't take life particularly seriously, I don't have high expectations, and absolutely everything seems too trivial to really get me down. You're quite correct in thinking that my lack of experience may limit my right to a view on this matter, but the 'never stepped out of your fucking room' comment wasn't particularly clever or necessary.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Heh. Maybe it's because I don't take life particularly seriously, I don't have high expectations, and absolutely everything seems too trivial to really get me down. You're quite correct in thinking that my lack of experience may limit my right to a view on this matter, but the 'never stepped out of your fucking room' comment wasn't particularly clever or necessary.
yes maybe a bit harsh..But someday you will be depressed too trust me.

I can think of a couple of things that will depress me if they happen. I have also felt little pangs of despair which usually last a few minutes or even a few seconds. Bah, we'll see.

Metal is in particular more passionate than most other forms of music, especially mainstream shit.

"Real/Clinical depression" is very serious and has a lot to do with brain chemistry. It is real, believe me. You cannot relate until you actually go through it. The ultimate pits of despair isn't a pretty thing.

I think telling somone that they WILL be depressed someday, even as they've told you that they really aren't and don't usually get down, is just really sad. Some people live whole lives without ever feeling down in the dumps or remotely suicidal.

BloodStainedWalls said:
"Real/Clinical depression" is very serious and has a lot to do with brain chemistry. It is real, believe me. You cannot relate until you actually go through it. The ultimate pits of despair isn't a pretty thing.
I agree 100%. When I first went on anti-depressants a lot of my friends thought it was just a put on thing cos they just didn't understand and thought it was me trying to be goth (which is a load of bollocks, especially as I've never even listened to stuff deemed to be goth). Thankfully, after they got over the initial shock, my family were very supportive. Depression runs in my family (at one point me, my mum and my nana sat in our kitchen comparing our anti-depressants) so they knew how to deal with me.