Racism And Metal

clangorous

Hail
Dec 23, 2003
Bangalore,Karnataka,India
I know this is a Controversial Issue, but somehow i have noticed most of the ppl who listen to Metal are Caucasians and When a person of other race claims to listen to Metal, that person is usually never taken seriously, I remember, In one of the Metal Chat Rooms , An African American Girl was chatting , ppl were making fun of her , i really got pissed and blasted them back....,I was listening to this song War by Sepultura, In that song the line Color of the Skin is as insignificant as the color of the eye (something like that) which comes in the background inspired me to post this thread. So Do u ppl feel that Skin color as a significant factor to listen to metal ?. I have been in to Metal for nearly 8-9 years, and i enjoy the music, but i am an Indian (usually called as Browns), I seriously feel a person's Skin Color is insignificant to listen to a Particular Genre of Music (Metal in this case)

I hope atleast this Thread doesnt go offbeat like the other threads like Satanism and Metal and Are You Christian and listen to Black Metal.... :D

I don't think it's so much an issue of racism - most of the non-whites I know who are into metal are accepted as readily as anyone else - I think it's just that less of them are into metal because of the increased isolation it brings. Whites in general isolate themselves only from the more mainstream, pop-listening sections of society, and risk alienation from the more narrow-minded as a result - whereas coloured people also have to face seperation from their culture of origin and the possible disapproval of their families, on top of the general 'greebo' comments...

Interesting thread... in response, I do not believe it to be a matter of racism... all of the people who are not white who lsiten to metal have neverb een bashed, at least the ones I know... sure it is true that the vast amount of metal lsiteners in the U.S. are white.. but you have to rememebr how many MORE are in Asia... they are nto white, but they are amongst the most insane metal fans of all... I think it is just that we are so used to seeing blacks in music videos with silver teeth and cars, that when we see them head bangining to a really extreme band, it just doesn't look right.. I think it's jsut ingrained into people... Persoanlly I never notcied it much

One quick, irrelevant but necessary point: People who take pride in intelligence, but slate people for racial pride, don't make sense.

who cares? i feel rap is just as racist, pop is sexist, theater and show tunes are anti heterosexual, classical elitist, etc it can go on and on. For whatever reason white people like metal more than blacks in the states- although i have noticed many latin americans have embraced metal. While were at it, metal is sexist too, not too many chicks think its cool that their boyfriend listens to underground metal- and god help us if you can get your girlfriend to go to a concert.

Is it so wrong, that a white boy has a form of music that only angry white boys listen to?

speed said:
who cares? i feel rap is just as racist, pop is sexist, theater and show tunes are anti heterosexual, classical elitist, etc it can go on and on. For whatever reason white people like metal more than blacks in the states- although i have noticed many latin americans have embraced metal. While were at it, metal is sexist too, not too many chicks think its cool that their boyfriend listens to underground metal- and god help us if you can get your girlfriend to go to a concert.

Is it so wrong, that a white boy has a form of music that only angry white boys listen to?

No not at all, i am not saying its wrong for a White boy to listen to a particular form of music. its the way some of the so called elitist in metal think that Metal is only for White ppl ,As far as i am concerned, Music is freedom of expression , so my point is that any kind of isms in any form of Music is bad. Anyways as Destroyer said , there are many insane fans in Asia like me :D who listen to metal .

And about the chicks part, i totally agree with u, Thats been one of the major reason that i don have a Girlfriend :erk: , but who cares ? i don have to change my Musical preferences for some dumbass girl who listens to some fag boy bands

clangorous said:
I know this is a Controversial Issue, but somehow i have noticed most of the ppl who listen to Metal are Caucasians and When a person of other race claims to listen to Metal, that person is usually never taken seriously, I remember, In one of the Metal Chat Rooms , An African American Girl was chatting , ppl were making fun of her , i really got pissed and blasted them back....,I was listening to this song War by Sepultura, In that song the line Color of the Skin is as insignificant as the color of the eye (something like that) which comes in the background inspired me to post this thread. So Do u ppl feel that Skin color as a significant factor to listen to metal ?. I have been in to Metal for nearly 8-9 years, and i enjoy the music, but i am an Indian (usually called as Browns), I seriously feel a person's Skin Color is insignificant to listen to a Particular Genre of Music (Metal in this case)

I hear Ravi Shankar's daughter is into Metallica. I know a few Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi folk who are into "white" things like metal or Lord of the Rings, and I don't see why not. Race doesn't bother me, I just don't think people should be tetchy about their race either. Insults are only as serious as the target makes them, especially on the Internet.

lord667 said:
I hear Ravi Shankar's daughter is into Metallica. I know a few Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi folk who are into "white" things like metal or Lord of the Rings, and I don't see why not. Race doesn't bother me, I just don't think people should be tetchy about their race either. Insults are only as serious as the target makes them, especially on the Internet.

Well Said lord (y) , Yeah u r true , there are lot of indians especially in my city who are seriously in to Metal and Lord of the Rings kinda stuff, We have a few underground bands also here :kickass:

race doesnt bother me, but i definitly have no room in my mind to defend weaklings of opposite race where i wouldnt people of my own race. If someone of antoher race is in a downed out situation im not going to help them because of their race and say "oh man that poor black kids being descrimnated against, i feel sorry for him." In all actuality, i have no negative feelings about racism, because i live in a culture that promotes racism. how does it do this? We are surrounded by minorities that spew off a negative aura of their race and just radiate.....a lack or class and hmm,.......respect. Does this mean all are like that? no, does this mean im racist? no, i just say i dont have a problem in understanding other peoples racist principles and beliefs.

and yes, i do have a tendency to sterotype, does this mean its right? no, but people say stereotypes are bad and its horrible to think about using them for profiling reasons, but facts with facts, 8/10 times sterotypes hold true down here. You may hate me for sayin all this, but at least im saying it because its what i believe, let the flame wars begin.

No not at all, I would never hate a Person for expressing his/her opinions. For me Arguments/Debates are healthy ,but dominance is bad. Whatever u said is ur personal opinion, I believe in Freedom of Choice, but not at the cost of others.

But i would like to put in a thought here , As u know most of the best Jazz and Blues Musicians were African Americans, and Metal indirectly got influenced by Jazz/Blues.
So Metal cant be totally isolated to a particular Race

I could not care less what your skin is like, it is something you are born with and cannot affect. Anyone can listen to anything, it is as simple for me as that.

There are always going to be racists in music, no matter what genre or type of music it is. Personally, I don't care about skin color. It's true, I don't know many people who aren't caucasian who like metal, but I don't think skin color matters a bit. When I was still in highschool caucasians were actually a minority. All my life I've had a lot of runs with black kids, and I don't know why. I think I've had the tendancy to want to say "fuck it all," and submit to racism, but I keep in mind that it's not race, it is the person. The skin doesn't play a part in who the person really is.

I've had moments where it's frustrated me, but it doesn't bother me anymore now that I'm in college and everyone is much more diverse.

I don't think race matters when it comes to liking any type of music, as long as your listening to said type of music for the right reasons.

The right reasons? Well, if they are listening to the music because they actually enjoy it, then I would consider that genuine.

But then if they are listening because it will make them look cool, or so they can fit in with a certain group, then I would consider them beneath me.

I just wish that the stereotypes weren't so obvious.

Few black people I know listen to metal. In fact, I'm the only minority person I know that likes metal. Among other things, of course...

Certain genre of metal can attract the wrong crowd, but something like 98% of metalheads aren't racists. (I'm just throwing out a number). When I go to a metal show, there are all kinds of people. And the fact is, most of them are peaceful people. I mean it's not like some kind of rap or hip-hop show where someone ends up getting their asses capped. Just kidding. :)