Racism And Metal

Since black people are still in a minority, at least in the US, of course there's going to be more white metalheads than black metalheads. Another thing is that more white kids probably grew up listening to metal or even rock, while black people are more likely to grow up listening to rap. I'm not trying to promote music stereotypes here ... that's just the pattern that I see. Rap is a modern part of black peoples' culture, so they are more likely than a white person to listen to it (rap).
As for sexism in metal ... I have noticed that the number of guys at the metal concerts that I've been to outnumbers the number of girls by a lot ... though they (guy metalheads) are generally really nice to me (girl metalhead). Not sure how many male metalheads would date a girl metalhead though :erk:
I think one of the ideas of racism in metal comes from the whole racist aspect of black metal, though I'm not sure how much it (racism) is present in other types of metal.

Yes.. it is simple fact, blacks listen to more rap, whites listen to more metal.. there is no stereotype promotion here, it is simply true... Chick metalheads are hott, jsut to let you know... I've never seen any discrimination or anything liek that against chicks at concerts ive been to... actually dudes are pretty chivalous, always trying to protect them and such...

Hrmm...
I've posted something awhile ago and I can't remember the exact words but here goes.

I was originally from Singapore, I have Asian written all over me(except for the traces of Dutch). I am not Chinese. In fact I don't really know what I am. I'm part Arab, Indonesian, Dutch, Chinese, Indian, Malay so I'm pretty mixed. I'm a metalhead, I've got alot of friends from Singapore who are Chinese or Malay or Indian or Caucasian or whatever and they like metal. They don't care that it's a genre dominated by caucasians.

I've recently moved to Australia(about 4 years ago), the stereotypical music that the Native Australians(Aboriginals whom are black) is supposed to be Rap and Hiphop and RnB. But I know of a few Aboriginals who listen to Metal, are very into the underground side of metal and go to concerts(Why I even saw some at the recent Metallica concert with metal shirts and banging their fuckin' heads off). I go to an International high school that consists of a high population of Asians(from all around the world) and at least 45% of White Australians. The Asians seem to not like the idea that I listen to Metal, they think I should be hanging out with them listening to cheesy Dance Music and go to clubs. Thus I get along with the white population more. But the white population here don't seem to like Aboriginals listening to metal, they think that Aboriginals should stick to their music(hiphop? woot?)....

It really sucks, people aren't as open minded but I have to live with it.
In the end, it really doesn't matter what skin colour you have, what colour your eyes are, where you grew up, how you grew up. It's just music.

I'm lucky because although I have an Asian girlfriend, she's grown up in Australia for all her life and she's open about her music tastes. She even likes Opeth, Dream Theater, Children Of Bodom, Decapitated etc.

speed said:
who cares? i feel rap is just as racist, pop is sexist, theater and show tunes are anti heterosexual, classical elitist, etc it can go on and on.

Is it so wrong, that a white boy has a form of music that only angry white boys listen to?
yes. if you want to be nit picky, you can call all genres of metal racist or somthing. but youd generally be wrong. its just a trend for white people.

and have any of you noticed that if a white guy listens to it, its racist? its just like have pride of your white heritage. it doesnt mean your a skinhead, it just means your proud of your roots, just like black, latin... people are. but they arent labeled racist, the white guy is...
~gR~

Well heavy metal has been started by blue-collar whites and the audience stayed being mostly white. A few black metal bands are actual neo-Nazis but other than that there isn't too much racism or gay bashing. There's more of that in punk bands. It's just that if you're not white and you attend a metal concert some people may look at you funny because you're not as common but it's not like they hate you. I seen Dying Fetus in the summer and I was the only Asian guy there.

Yeah, because the D and T keys are so close like that. Don't even try to tell me you didn't type that in incredible fury. I've heard it all before.

What is truly curious, is that jazz was a style, at the height of its popularity, that had both black and white artists seeing massive success.

Any stereotype that says Blacks or Asians or Native Americans or Hispanics don't listen to metal is generally true. The style doesn't seem to have that boundary-crossing ability that jazz had.

I find it appalling.

Perhaps it's because rap is currently pervading and inundating pop culture. I thought it would have died out in the mid-90's when it started to really suck, but artists like 50 Cent disprove that. Because rap's still the 'big thing,' it is being a blanket over "black culture."

As racist as that may be, I've not seen the inspiration or endless talent of individuals such as Coltrane, Monk, Davis, Parker, Adderley, or the other jazz greats. Their knowledge of music itself and willingness to experiment(Bitches Brew or Love Supreme, anyone?) was legendary. Even metal is lacking artists with that much depth.

These days, that don't sell. We get the brilliance of "Wanksta."

Im reminded of the british uppr class in the victorian period- the older white men of power withdraw together and smoke cigars, drink sherry, and talk condescendingly about the natives. Maybe metal is a proletarian form of that. We get mad, talk about music only we the few elite like, laugh at the heathen pop music or nu metal fans etc.

Rottuated said:
There are always going to be racists in music, no matter what genre or type of music it is. Personally, I don't care about skin color. It's true, I don't know many people who aren't caucasian who like metal, but I don't think skin color matters a bit. When I was still in highschool caucasians were actually a minority. All my life I've had a lot of runs with black kids, and I don't know why. I think I've had the tendancy to want to say "fuck it all," and submit to racism, but I keep in mind that it's not race, it is the person. The skin doesn't play a part in who the person really is.

I've had moments where it's frustrated me, but it doesn't bother me anymore now that I'm in college and everyone is much more diverse.

Why'd you have to say that? I would've allowed this stupid topic to stew in peace if not for that.

Essentially, your argument is that all traits are determined entirely post-birth. That people are all disposed to be equal naturally. This is so stupid that it boggles the mind. The fact is that a great deal of what a person will eventually be is decided before birth. Much of what remains by cultural upbringing.

clangorous said:
I hope atleast this Thread doesnt go offbeat like the other threads like Satanism and Metal and Are You Christian and listen to Black Metal.... :D
And by this you mean...? You are posting this for affirmation? Thi will come down to yay everyone agrees with me. Lets all go to the sausage fest its on the house. Or, it will turn into liberal preaching which actually differs little.

Way to twist my post and try to make it into something it's not. Where did I say that everyone is equal? Where is it implied? I know that culture plays a part in how you turn out in later years, it plays a humongous part, but it's not everything. I just didn't bother delving into that. I said that I DO NOT CARE ABOUT SKIN COLOR. Stop over analyizing.

Why are you always following my posts, demi? Are you in love with me or something?