Mathmetal... Any advices?

Carcassian said:
All music is mathematical anyway. I forget who said it, but the quote was "music is nothing but subconcious counting"
I totally agree... All the music is counting. Notes are numbers.
But I'm sure you, Carcassian, know which exactly way of math in music I meant, creating this thread...

Viewing notes as numbers is not really appealing or inspiring.

The Greys said:
Viewing notes as numbers is not really appealing or inspiring.

yes of course. you shouldnt look at notes as at numbers, but you dont have to forget that they kinda are.

Teh Grimarse said:
rhythm doesn't have to be rigid or repetitive... something that never repeats the same counts twice, speeding up and slowing down and pausing and whatnot, is still "rhythmic".

I doubt it... of course rythm shouldnt be always repetitive... But it has to be built correctly... Even chaotic, "curved" rythm needs attention and good work about counting... If everything would be so easy ppl could just sit and play without counting or paying attention to note size... And all that you've said like - speeding up and slowing down and pausing - needs correct counting, otherwise it would be not music...

~Neurotica said:
And all that you've said like - speeding up and slowing down and pausing - needs correct counting, otherwise it would be not music...

so says you.

and you're wrong.

not to be mean.

but there's more to "music" than 4 guys with drums and guitars and E-F-E-G chord changes.

the only thing that defines something as "music" is that it is a sound or series of sounds with a beginning and an end.

as long as all the players involved know to stop playing at the count of 8:21 or 3:37 or 62:19, it is a "song".

oh, Teh Grimarse, its not that I'm saying it just because. I play music, and I cant imagine my own playing or my playing with other guys without things I've said in previous posts. If I'm not wrong - you do play too. And I really cant get why we think so different =)

Actually, I realized that you still have to count to 4'33" to do that song. But classical cadenzaish things don't necessairily involve counting so much as getting it to feel right. I had one on my all-state saxophone solo last year. Pretty fun, you can speed up and slow down and do whatever the heck you wan't, as long as you hit the notes. I guess that even then, you are technically counting the fingers you are putting down. My left three and right one fingers. And, it is freaking geometry to put your fingers on the right spot. So therefore, I renounce the title math metal, since all metal is math metal, and now I will call it extreme math metal.

I'm learning to play polyrythmic now. It definitely involves counting =)
Polyrythmic is also very popular in jazz. Jazz is one of the most difficult kinds of music to play. In the main coz jazz is improvisation.
So ppl, who say that mathmetal is an easy thing to play or that its a bullshit - just dunno what mathmetal is, or just joke too much...