Destruction Of Oz Festival Cancelled

mattt

Yes.
Feb 4, 2002
To The Metal Community,

As of today (6/8/2003) we have officially closed the Destruction of Oz Festival. We are truly sorry to have to do this but feel we have no choice. Because of low sales, to continue we feel would not worthwhile. I have personally gotten professional advice of how many tickets we can expect to sell all up and the estimated amount would come nowhere close to cover the cost of putting such an event on. We feel it is better to cut our losses now than occur an ever bigger expense by carrying on.

To be honest we do not know why sales are as low as they are, especially when they started selling well but it may be because of certain rumours that have been going around. The first one was that certain bands had dropped out - this is not true as all bands were still keen and very enthusiastic to come to Australia. The second rumour was that the event had actually sold out. It seems people could not even bother to ring their local retailer or Ticketek to verify whether this was even true or not and just accepted the fact. It is funny how rumors get around. Even to look on the guest book and people try to tell me that news travels fast along the grapevine and that they had heard the gig was cancelled - before I had even confirmed it or mentioned it to anyway. A word of advice - don't believe anything unless it comes from the horses mouth so to speak.

It is fair to say, that yes, we might have sold a lot more tickets before the actual gig, but as I said, going by ticket sales as they stood at the time of cancellation this is unlikely.

We apologise to you all for the disappointment that you are sure to feel. Believe me - if anyone is more disappointed it is us. We have all put a lot of time, effort and money into this venture, all of which has been lost. We never organised this for money but decided to put this event on for you guys. Unfortunately, I guess not enough people were interested in seeing these bands afterall.

As for ticket refunds, yes, none of you have missed out. I have spoken to all the retailers involved and someone is also speaking to Ticketek on our behalf to make sure that ALL tickets are refunded including booking fee. This we will be paying at OUR cost, not yours. Please note though that tickets will not be refunded until after the 22nd of August as it is not as simple as just collecting your money. But guaranteed that these costs will be re-imburessed to you. As for those who are travelling from interstate or who have been inconvenienced in some way, please contact us straight away so we can issue an official apology. Email: info@extremenoizerecords.com. We are sorry that you have made the effort to come from places as far away as you have for it to end like this. You are all an example of true metal heads though, to have made the effort.

Once again, our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and thank you to those who had made the effort.

Kind Regards

Mark
Promoter

Not much of a surprise there considering the email we all got a few days back. I have to admit that I had serious misgivings about the success of this from the start, but I supported Mark because had he been able to pull this off it would have really opened future opportunities for similar events. Unfortunately, the fanbase for extreme/underground metal in this country is far too small and spread over far too wide a territory for a show like this. The travelling costs involved for most punters outside Melbourne would have been rather restrictive and from the feedback I've seen on messageboards the overall line-up wasn't very popular. Some people may argue that people will travel to Metal for the Brain, but MFTB features over 30 bands for about $50 and while it's a huge event now, unlike this planned show it started out very small and gradually grew over the years until it had built the reputation it has now. In Australia, these things need to start small. Maybe one or perhaps two o/s bands instead of four, and more well known local acts, and a smaller venue.
Whatever, it's academic now. I'm sure there will be discussion of the reasons for this falling through for days to come.

I did want to go but as many of you know, im in North Queensland so its a fucking big trek. It would cost a fuckload to drive down or according to Virginblue.com.au, a return flight from Townsville to Melbourne is currently @ $570 and i simply don't have that sort of money at the moment, plus accomodation etc

Haupassia said:
I did want to go but as many of you know, im in North Queensland so its a fucking big trek. It would cost a fuckload to drive down or according to Virginblue.com.au, a return flight from Townsville to Melbourne is currently @ $570 and i simply don't have that sort of money at the moment, plus accomodation etc

This is part of the problem of a show like this, as I just pointed out on another board. Australia is too big a place to have one centralised European-style festival. No one is central to anywhere else in this country. If you put a show on in Melbourne, it's too far for those north of Sydney or Newcastle. If you put it on in Sydney, it's too far from Adelaide, and it's still too far for people like Matt who live in places like Townsville. And everywhere is too far from Perth.

I can understand Mark's reasoning for only having the one show, so that people are inspired to travel to it rather than waiting for it to come to them, but for many people it was simply an unrealistic expectation. There wasn't a single band on there that I was that keen to see that I would drive 900kms to do so (can't afford airfares damnit. I'm getting married in September!). Vanishing Point bore me, Doro hasn't made a decent record since 1986, the other bands I can take or leave and I can see Descend anytime. Nonetheless, I would have gone anyway, just for the trip. Other people however just obviously couldn't be bothered.

NOTE: I will say here that credit must be given to Mark for at least attempting this. Had Destruction of Oz gone ahead, and been successful, it could well have been a wake-up call to other promoters to give metal bands a go at "legitimate" festivals like Big Day Out and Livid. Now we'll never know.

It's a bummer. I hadn't bought a ticket cos I don't listen to any of the bands on the lineup. All it needed was one band I listen to......

This news has mortified me!
I have my plane ticket, and the concert ticket, and all I gave a fuck about was seeing cryptopsy.
It was worth the plane fair from Tassie and the concert fair combined just to see the insanity that is cryptopsy for me.
Now none of that is comming true, how fucked!!

Goreripper said:
I can understand Mark's reasoning for only having the one show, so that people are inspired to travel to it rather than waiting for it to come to them, but for many people it was simply an unrealistic expectation. There wasn't a single band on there that I was that keen to see that I would drive 900kms to do so (can't afford airfares damnit. I'm getting married in September!). Vanishing Point bore me, Doro hasn't made a decent record since 1986, the other bands I can take or leave and I can see Descend anytime. Nonetheless, I would have gone anyway, just for the trip. Other people however just obviously couldn't be bothered.

I do agree with a lot of what you said Goreripper (re. doro etc) but I have to disagree with your remark on Vanishing Point. I love VP but i haven't seen their live show so i can't comment on that but that is just my opinion. The only bands I was really interested in seeing were Vanishing Point and Cryptopsy

Apolyom-Todd said:
I just heard (and I can't confirm it) that they had only sold 350 for the show so far! !:eek: !:eek: !:eek:

:ill: Well I'd have thought they would have sold a few more than that. Maybe most people were planning on getting tickets closer to the actual date, or even at the door on the night. Still, if they'd only moved that many tickets, I'm not surprised they pulled the plug and it's an extremely disappointing figure.