detailed TGCD discussion: July

Hypnos

steck ihn nei!
Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
over the last months this song became my favourite Katatonia tune, and ic made some effort to figure out what is it all about. here my thoughts:

imho, this song is about a guy who is invited to a marriage of a woman he was once in love with and had a relationship with her. he meets her again at the marriage and cannot bear the situation and he kills her.

"You come clean, waves collide now.
Defenceless numb arms
And no voice of reason"
he seees her in white at the ceremony. different thoughts and emotions collide within him.

"So, how come you invited me too, you knew I wanted you.
You glide above."
he asks why she invited him to the marriage, although she should be knowing of his love for her. she is now happy and this is her day.

"So, this night belongs to you. I know this isn't through.
Are you dead too love?"
he cannot bear the situation. for him it is not over and he still wants to be with her. he is accusing her.

"I see the bright lights, it's the month of July.
It's violent here, why have you left me?
If only you could stay, and keep me in.
It's violent here, why did you run from me?"
the violence starts. he is going to kill her if he cannot be with her.

"Heat, night devour me.
Repeat, repetition"
he is in a trance-like state, stabbing her over and over again.

Think it's more about feelings than actions, really. Having regrets, asking himself why, like.

Hypnos said:
over the last months this song became my favourite Katatonia tune, and ic made some effort to figure out what is it all about. here my thoughts:

imho, this song is about a guy who is invited to a marriage of a woman he was once in love with and had a relationship with her. he meets her again at the marriage and cannot bear the situation and he kills her.

"You come clean, waves collide now.
Defenceless numb arms
And no voice of reason"
he seees her in white at the ceremony. different thoughts and emotions collide within him.

You glide above."
he asks why she invited him to the marriage, although she should be knowing of his love for her. she is now happy and this is her day.

Are you dead too love?"
he cannot bear the situation. for him it is not over and he still wants to be with her. he is accusing her.

"I see the bright lights, it's the month of July.
It's violent here, why have you left me?
If only you could stay, and keep me in.
It's violent here, why did you run from me?"
the violence starts. he is going to kill her if he cannot be with her.

"Heat, night devour me.
Repeat, repetition"
he is in a trance-like state, stabbing her over and over again.

Actually I always thought the lyrics have some sexual things going on...
what do you think (paradoxille)? ;)

You glide above."

I mean, she glides above... after she invited him

Are you dead too love?"

Why "night" when it was about a marriage?
I think she has sex with him, and is "dead to love" because she can do it without loving him anymore. And he loves her :cry:

"Heat, night devour me.
Repeat, repetition"

Yeah, she always comes back, and he can't say "no".

Interesting interpretations.
Reading Hypnos interpretation reminded me on my sister who got married recently and when they talked about whom to invite to the wedding I accidently asked whether her ex- boyfriend would come cause they're still friends and he's nice, but her reaction was like- No way, what a silly thought!!! Seeing the end of Hypnos' story I'm glad he didn't come... ;)
Anyways, to me, July is about feeling paralyzed, helpless, confused, desperate. The person is aware about the situation, something like they broke up and she wants to continue as friends, but he repeatedly fails to get along with that. I don't think he wants to kill her, the violence is not necessarily directed towards her. It's rather just there, all around and inside him, a feeling of (self) aggression and hurt.

i agree pretty much with Cis’ interpretation.

basically, they broke up, but he’s still head-over-heels in love while she’s not. he still thinks there’s something to hope for, especially after she invited him (somewhere, for something), so, he grasps the ‘opportunity’ he’s been given and asks her about her feelings… but the conversation soon glides into something else/she avoids talking about heavy subjects involving further sentimental complications and stuff. yet, he puts all his hopes and dreams into this illusion... which, after their meeting/talk, reveals itself to be only an illusion, indeed. and maaany sleepless nights are spent trying to figure out why, over and over and over and over…

uh.

Hmm...the whole album is like a journey and I've noticed that in many songs the month/season is implied. Lyrics like ''Cold, White Spring'',''July'',''Late November'',''The Sky moves faster at this time of year''. It's a great cold distance, and the last track, journey through pressure, is like an epilogue to this journey, it feels like you had walked the distance and reached your destination in the end...

Tone-Deaf said:
Hmm...the whole album is like a journey and I've noticed that in many songs the month/season is implied. Lyrics like ''Cold, White Spring'',''July'',''Late November'',''The Sky moves faster at this time of year''. It's a great cold distance, and the last track, journey through pressure, is like an epilogue to this journey, it feels like you had walked the distance and reached your destination in the end...
Yeah, that's also somehow what I thought =)

I would agree with some kinda combination between Unicorn's and Cis' & scarlet's version. But I would like to give Hypnos an award for the most unique interpretation :cool: ... it's all about the interpretation anyway (;

I had a stupid idea today but i'm gonna do what Mr. Stanne says ''One Thought Bringing it down''... So

I was thinking that some of the songs may be related with slavery/migration stuff. Some keywords, Leaders - ''come here i've paid for you'', , Deliberation ''Let the reach meet death'', Follower ''my name, you have changed it'' (an illegal migration), ''see this line border to freedom'', ''shame, idle mind'' (he's obliged to do that kind of job, because of his idle mind), My twin ''the head, then the chain'', soil's song ''false, the dream is so far'' (the dream of a new beggining, of a better life maybe).....

It sounds really stupid, sry for waisting you time reading this, but I just thought that I had to express my thoughts :).

*Edited: O, and those figures inside the booklet, on the page where leaders lyrics are, they look like the hold a broom or something.

I have to see i psychotherapist, really soon :lol:

July is about being drunk at a festival and getting mixed messages from a girl who ultimately abandon you.