DFHS mapping

gumplunger said:
If you do that, you're kinda missing the point of DFHS.

Yeah, I've heard this argument before.

One of the reasons I dislike DFHS is that I don't understand why they had to deviate so radically from the GM spec. I've made kits that have tons of flexibility, but rather than try and change the GM notes, I just add pieces of the kit I want to other notes not covered by the GM spec. ToonTrack has pretty much lost me as a customer because of their silly way of dealing with GM, as well as the inefficiency of the closed/proprietary DFHS plugin. It's like they want to force you to use their samples exclusively, which is just dumb.

NI Battery remains the best drum sampler on the market. I'm just glad I have my DFH 1.0 disc still, because I like their cymbals a lot. DFHS gives you more samples, but no easy way to use them with another drum sampler (just try sorting through the THOUSANDS of files stored in a handful of folders - good luck!) Why should I be forced to use their stupid plugin?

Kazrog - I'm in agreement with you pretty much entirely. I used the battery/dfh combo for a long time and it worked very well.

But, after plunking down $300 bucks on DFHS I pretty much forced myself to learn it. I'm working with DFHS, Reason3, and Kontakt2 on a daily basis and slowly started to gel with all of them.

My major problem right now deals with using DFHS as a Rewire device in Sonar5, and using the DFHS Drummer drum map from Toontrack.

I compose my drums 2 or 4 bars at a time usually, and I loop them while I riff along, and then modify as I go along while the drums play in a midi loop.

If I use the drum map, (so it displays the kit piece names instead of piano keys or 1-127), the loop will sporadically play.

So if I have a 2 bar MIDI loop going, sometimes I hear a bar and a half, then no sound (mind you, the transport is still running, its not an audio dropout at all) then it will pick back up, maybe play the 2 full bars then on the 4th pass play half a beat, no sound, etc. It's fucking MADDENING.

So what I have to do is set it to map when I program, then turn off the map when I play the loop - so on and so forth. It's fucking ridiculous and I have not found a way to work around this.

I suppose I might have to make my own map, but that will require a horrendous amount of time.

The cool thing about the drum map in Sonar (I'm sure other host apps do simliar but I am most familiar with Sonar) is that you can assign which port/vsti/dxi to play which midi note. So I have an Andy kick in Kontakt, a snare in Reason, and the rest from DFHS (mainly cymbals and toms).

If anyone else is using Sonar5, DFHS Rewire, and Drum Maps and know what I am talking about, please speeak up! If you know of a workaround I am all ears!!!