Diablo III

Well after playing almost all the characters to the beta cap of level 13, I gotta say that quote, Soundlurker, puts my mind further from ease than anything I've experienced (and yes, I have known about Nephalem Valor since it was announced - not sure how it's relevant). They're effectively saying 'we know that bottomfeeding braindead morons will play this game, so we have to make sure the outset doesn't alienate them'. There will be hundreds of skill options but only half a dozen valid builds, if that. But don't worry, you'll never have to commit to a single one, nor plan a single thing, because everything is entirely reversible, and the game is now entirely item driven.' So they've removed the stats system, any semblance of a traditional skill tree or progressive/combinatorial skill tree (Titan Quest etc.), the character progression is entirely linear like some stat-based platformer, and the complexity only kicks in when you've amassed enough skills to actually build the character you wanted from the start, without ever needing to have put any planning into the build. Even then, you can just backtrack in seconds without any risk whatsoever.

Not really feeling that perspective. Half the joy before I kicked into TQ was scouring the forums for 2 days before starting, working out the ideal survival builds, creating theoretical scenarios and then putting different builds into motion. You could still get your skill points back if you screwed up, but it definitely cost you. There were so many character class options, all of which were expressive and tied into the player's style of play, balanced against their own innate survival abilities. This feels like its catering solely to the brain-dead, spoon-fed console generation. While I love the feeling of the gameplay I've experienced thus far, there was nothing to make me fall in love with my particular characters, short of seeing the barbarian smashing monsters all over the map. I hope that's different in the full version!

The skills no longer even list DPS!!

PS. What's the deal with the skills overriding the equipped weapons? For instance, I had dual swords on my Monk, his primary skill uses fists (so he sheathes the swords in a single frame and uses his hands...), yet somehow the weapon DPS factors into it???? That's simply poor design.

Gotta address this too, because it reads so oddly:

To some the approach we’re taking is likely a turnoff because they want to feel like they’re part of an elite group able to figure out complex and obtuse game systems, and be challenged the second the game begins. I think if they stick with it they’ll find that there is a ton of depth and complexity to the game. We put the depth into the gameplay, skill, and decision making itself and not the requirement to overcome the UI or understand how the game even works.

Complex and obtuse game systems? Anyone that finds Diablo 1 & 2 obtuse or complex probably doesn't have the mental faculties to tie their own shoelaces. The game has always been survivability and speed balanced against DPS. You don't need to be part of an 'elite group' to want your games to actually challenge you. People should be encouraged to worry survivability in later game modes, to think, to plan... not to simply plow through on blind instinct. It was the only depth that the hack'n'slash genre ever really had. If you remove that, you're pretty much left with a platform game.

There's certainly room for discussions and theories. Personally, I too miss the old system, based on my limited beta experience, but I am open to trying out new things.

I think part of the problem is that the introductory areas and monsters are just so damn simplified and easy that you can't test your character to the limits unless you run through the whole map naked and with no experience, in which case you haven't unlocked any skills to test. We'll just have to see once the whole game is out.

I just can't agree with all of the overreaction and thrashing going on, basically people are saying the game is a complete failure and so on. I think crafting and the auction house will really add a lot to the game. Also, a lot of the annoying/pointless stuff from diablo 2 has been removed and there are some nice improvements. I don't miss scrolls of identify at all, for example and I like the reasoning behind the town portal system. Banner teleports are awesome and so is the huge inventory space (or small footprint of loot rather). Smashing through enemies is really satisfying with the visual effects and hyped physics. The shared stash and artisan make for an interesting change when it comes down to creating new heroes, you get a sort of macro game through that where your high-level characters help your new ones but they in turn aren't useless either - you can use them as extra storage space for example.

That's just some of the stuff I'm excited about. I think it will be a great game even if significantly different in some aspects.

Agree with you. My friends and I have enjoyed the beta, and will likely enjoy the full game.

My main gripe is with the skill system, as so far none of their rationalizations for implementing it have been adequate IMO. It doesn't add anything to the game mechanics - it simply makes the game more accessible, which is valid from a publisher's point of view, but calling regular gamers elitists in order to justify their profiteering is a bit of a stretch.

Although I mostly agree with Ermz here. I do agree with you, Soundlurker, to some extent.

But, personally, I really don't care about the auction house, mainly when real money comes to play and spoiled kids will just buy loads of items. I think introducing real money on these kind of games is just straying away from the main point of them.

I think, in my opinion, that it is outrageous that I have to select an option within the menu to be able to use melee weapons and not being able to drag neither the primary nor the secondary attacks onto the number slots... Seriously? So, if you want to use melee then you have to sacrifice one of those... I just loved how D2 had that freedom, left click is melee, all the time, always. That's how it should be, not replacing that with stupid stuff... seriously, I don't want to be with my Monk, for example, fist fighting throughout the entire game...

Yeah, I think everyone hopes the full game proves us wrong regarding the skill system, me included.

I just loved how D2 had that freedom, left click is melee, all the time, always.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this, but left click was bone spirit for me when playing Necro; for the Amazon it was obviously some ranged attacked and so on...

Go to Options->gameplay and check Elective mode. Now you can drag skills of the bar which resets them to normal attack. Bear in mind not all kinds of weapons can be equipped by all classes.

seriously, I don't want to be with my Monk, for example, fist fighting throughout the entire game...

564925_200311780087712_177648035687420_322021_778495284_n.jpg

I just gave in and pre-ordered two copies of diablo III for coop purposes with my girlfriend. Also ordered the Book of Cain to introduce her to the world of sanctuary. Here's to hoping she'll actually get into it :)

Have all of you downloaded and installed the client yet?

I'm still at the studio mixing and have a bunch of work waiting for me which is great I guess, otherwise it would've been a long long day.

Installation is turning out to be a real bitch. Encountered an error with one of the files because the installer didn't start correctly after the download, now i'm re-downloading the missing parts. Oh well, at least I've got until midnight.

Yeah, my version is now installed properly too. I guess the faulty installation was just due to my impatience. :D

Anyone get this working yet? I got my review copy a few days back from Blizzard, but I've been hearing about nonstop server issues. I'm gonna give it a go later today.

Saw the commercial for it today and the graphics looked pretty cool, I prefer games with the option for multi-player, though. Unfortunately, I don't even have a gaming system or a computer fit for gaming...