Diabolic tone implemented in a song...

Jun 2, 2005
yes, after the tone was posted here, i had to try it, and i think it's really a good tone.. thanks diabolic!

anyway, i have made a clip with it, i am a bit reluctant to post here, since the quality of posted songs here are VERY high!

but what the hell, maybe i can get some tips and tricks this way...

it's going to be a song, but it's unfinished as of now... drums are DFHS, guitars POD XT offcourse..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/toxicgrindmachine_music.htm

It's called "The other side", it's not done, and i am still tweaking the guitars and snare..

hope you like it!

Heavy, great job man! Go to the link below, I mixed my tone with the Kazrog tone.. what do ya think? First song on the list called "Never Alone".

Holy crap!

sounds good man... you have a rich tone coming from that POD XT... might you have a pre-amp, or do you do a lot of processing after you recorded the tone? sounds really fat and juicy!

Good job!

Black neon bob said:
Holy crap!

sounds good man... you have a rich tone coming from that POD XT... might you have a pre-amp, or do you do a lot of processing after you recorded the tone? sounds really fat and juicy!

Good job!

No preamps, all I really do is a post eq on the final mix. The guitar tracks are straight from the POD. I still think the guitar has more to do with it than just the POD by itself (but it sure helps). This one isn't a very good mix, I did the whole project in about an hour, just to test out the tones.

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
No preamps, all I really do is a post eq on the final mix. The guitar tracks are straight from the POD. I still think the guitar has more to do with it than just the POD by itself (but it sure helps). This one isn't a very good mix, I did the whole project in about an hour, just to test out the tones.
Diabolic5150. You are a riff king.

I salute you.

I thank you for your music.

"Diabolic5150. You are a riff king. I salute you. I thank you for your music."
Thanks dude, thats pretty cool.

"Great work Diobolic! How many guitartracks did you use (Mono/Stereo?)? Could you post your EQing?"
The EQing is very little...Basically just boost the low, mid and high by about +2db or whatever it takes to match the frequencies of the other instruments in the mix.
I use 4 tracks in stereo, panned left @ 80 & 100, right @ 80 & 100. That's about it, the rest is just making it all fit the mix volume wise, ect. Nothing special. Thanks!

Sounds fuckin heavy but somewhat squashed/distorded to me. There's also some wierd trancient peaks here and there.

Bring up the global highs at 2k and up. I think it would make it sound brighter. don't over do it though. Do you have a Maximizer plugin? that could make it sound more clear also. Just a thought.

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
Bring up the global highs at 2k and up. I think it would make it sound brighter. don't over do it though. Do you have a Maximizer plugin? that could make it sound more clear also. Just a thought.
Not sure that an aural exciter kind of process will increase the quality since it's mainly based on distortion generated harmonics... I think the "blur feeling" is caused by too much master buss comp/limiting (L2? T-Racks?).
Here's an interesting article:
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C
... Not telling your mix sounds like dogshit though... And I keep in mind this file is
in mp3 format.

~BURNY~ said:
Not sure that an aural exciter kind of process will increase the quality since it's mainly based on distortion generated harmonics... I think the "blur feeling" is caused by too much master buss comp/limiting (L2? T-Racks?).
Here's an interesting article:
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C
... Not telling your mix sounds like dogshit though... And I keep in mind this file is
in mp3 format.

huh, the guy who wrote the article seems so pissed. But I can understand him. Especially some metal cd's are totally exhausting to listen to longer, because of the ruined dynamic.
But we had this thread a while ago with clipping CD's

Ah, forgot to review the song.
I like the sound. I'm surprised how good this dfhs sounds...
the guitars are cool, could be a bit smoother for my taste. Maybe the whole thing is really limited too loud.

Yes!

Now this i can use, thanks guys...

Diobolic, the global highs eh? at 2K on the master bus's EQ?
i do have sonic maximizer on the master bus as well, should i try it with that then, i never want to overuse that puppy, since it can make or break a mix in my opinion.. but i will give it a try, thanks....

Burny, i do have a lot of proccesing on the master bus... i am quite new to that, and this is my first try on that subject...

I have several compressors on it,

waves stereo imager

dynasone (mixes automatically)

endorphin (free compressor that really brings out the low)

sonic maximizer (used slightly)

C4

L2

can i post a screenshot of them here directly from my folder on this computer? i have no webspace, but i could use the help, so you guys can see some of the settings on them...

Also, i have toned down the hihats and cymbals, they seem to be a bit harsh in the high EQ department, and irritate the ears every now and then... i have toned them down, not trying to lose the high in the mix though...

geesh, so much i have to learn yet...

Thanks for that article, very interesting indeed!

Makes me wonder, that dimmu borgir album "death cult armageddon"... i just have a couple of MP3's of it in my media player, but that seems a lot softer in volume then the rest of albums coming out around the era...

and to be honest, i crank my mixes to compete with the amount of DB's of bands these days... wrong though maybe... hmmmmm... gives me something to think about...

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
Heavy, great job man! Go to the link below, I mixed my tone with the Kazrog tone.. what do ya think? First song on the list called "Never Alone".

Wow that guitar tone is amazing! Sounds tip top!
what are you using on for the drums? DKFH Superior?

Hey Dan,

Thanks man, yeah that tone is pretty good (if only my playing could be that tight :) hihi) all credit goes to diobolic on the tone...

The drums are DFHS, yes... it's quite amazing how far sampling has gotten these days... drums, instruments, choirs, you name it, and it's probably out there! good stuff...

Black neon bob said:
Hey Dan,

Thanks man, yeah that tone is pretty good (if only my playing could be that tight :) hihi) all credit goes to diobolic on the tone...

The drums are DFHS, yes... it's quite amazing how far sampling has gotten these days... drums, instruments, choirs, you name it, and it's probably out there! good stuff...

Yeah, at the moment my downfall as far as my home studio is the fact i have no good drum plug ins. If your looking for choirs or orchestras check out garritan personal orchestra, its excellent and it uses kontakt for its interface so its very user friendly