Death metal melodic song done and mixed with headphones!

thanks Loner and DSS3!

One question...How did you program out the drums? Did you use a midi controller and do it in real time, or did you plan out each individual hit in the drum editor? The latter would seem like the biggest pain in the ass, expecially for this song.

:) i chose pain...

Yeah, all the drum samples were put in individually.. there was some copy/paste on some parts though, to make a bit easier and less time consuming.

WOW! Very impressive, shit scared me when it came on!! Love the sick blast beat in the beginging. Great job on all aspects of the song. goes to show you dont need a bnch of fancy stuff, just learn how to use what you have. Good job dude. :worship:

Black neon bob said:
finally... haha.. took me a while, but have a listen if you will...

this was done entirely with headphones, from the beginning till the end, and i used other mixes as an example.. any good??

It's a 7:19 minute long (death) metal song with orchestra stuff, synths, piano and all the rest of it.. no vocals yet.

It's supposed to be a bit epic you know... some melodic stuff in there as well... especially on the end.. (DRAMA!! :yell: )

Link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/toxicgrindmachine_music.htm

It's called "bastard breed"... the first one on top...

Drums are DFHS (what else?)

Guitars are done with the POD XT (just two tracks)

Bass was done with reason, orchestral stuff with edirol, synth with imposcar and absynth...

please give me all the honest feedback you can think off, i have been working a long time on this one, and i always kinda lose focus after a while on how it sounds, volumes, etc... let me know...

Thanks.
Nice job Bobby!!! I can name plenty of drummers who could play it! It's fast in parts...but not impossible --- Longstreth/ Cesca/ Haley/ Gaz/ Kollias/ Laureano/Dennis/ Kolesne/ Pelletier/ Inferno/ Smith/ Talley/ Barker......... :headbang:
It's cool to hear others incorporating Orchestral stuff into their Metal as we do.

Several drummers can play at that speed, Kenny's right about that, but none of them can keep it up as consistently, strong, and tight as what it sounds like in the song. Great programming, but the velocities and the hit locations need to be edited for realism. Even then, however, drummers playing at that speed(roughly 250 to 270 bpm) don't blast or do double bass for that long, as it's nearly impossible for them to keep up endurance. I've had quite a few conversations with George Kollias and Derek Roddy about this, and basically anything above 250 is doable for those few drummers that you just mentioned, but only for short amounts of time. I still love that song, though.

Some of them can play really fast for longer times,George Kollias is fucking killer, I've seen him live with Nile and it was awesome, listen to "The burning pits of the duat" and you know what is fast!
This song is sick, this song here is sick, too, both are good songs but one is with vocals and it's Nile and this is a non-vocal song of a guy from this forum, but man, both are nice :D
I hope that you will record your stuff with a band in the future, produce it with Andy's help and take a good singer, that would be awesome.

P.S.: Shit I'm drunken... o_O

It seems as if Kazrog's POD patch is making its rounds. It seems to be very versatile.

Black Bob (or whatever) ;) -- Your Demo is seriously one of the best amateur black-metal'ish recordings i've ever heard. Good job! :headbang: I must agree with a few members in regards to finding a drummer to play that shit. Haha.

Black neon bob... I've given this another listen and I've come off the initial high of listening to it...

The drums are too fast, even for Pete Sandoval with the Gemini pedal. They sound ridiculous, and while it's kind of funny/cool, I think you need to put in fewer subdivisions as others here have suggested. I'd also work on keeping more of a cohesive compositional flow during the orchestral passages, the song loses energy in places. Also, make sure you get some velocity variation with your MIDI notes, both in the drums and the orchestra.

That all being said, I love your guitar playing and your ideas. :headbang:

Cheers Everyone!!

I really, really agree on those drums and will change those as soon as it starts to cool down here in Holland!! you would know what i mean Seizure :tickled: .. it's hot as hell in my room..

Kenny has a good point guys, it probably can be done, but i am listening to it right now, and i have to say, it IS not natural.. at least those blastbeats are not natural.. on other fora (did he just type fora? i have gotten questions about what drum machine i used! shit! that beats the whole purpose of DFHS.. haha.. oh well...

shane, point taken on loss of flow in the orchestral parts.. i have a lot of velocity and expression on those MIDI notes, and not su much on the kick and snare MIDI notes.. will look into that as well... good call..and again, thank you for the patch and the fact that you have given it out to share it with others.. great! same goes for Diobolic.. you guys rock and you know it! :worship:

Seizure:

Hallo... alles goed?

I have had no theoratical background at all.. i do however, and i think more metalheads do that, listen to classical stuff if i feel like it.. i think that might help a bit, but otherwise it's just "that" tune you have in your head when you wake up or go to sleep, you know.. i just translate a basic tune into a MIDI track with, oh let's say, the piano.. really basic.. and after that i try to fit it into a metal part, see if it fits in between.. then i surround that basic tune with violins, trumpets, timpani rolls, etc.. all a different note that fits harmonically with that basic tune, and see if it works out.. that's basically it!

Black neon bob said:
Cheers Everyone!!

I really, really agree on those drums and will change those as soon as it starts to cool down here in Holland!! you would know what i mean Seizure :tickled: .. it's hot as hell in my room..

Kenny has a good point guys, it probably can be done, but i am listening to it right now, and i have to say, it IS not natural.. at least those blastbeats are not natural.. on other fora (did he just type fora? i have gotten questions about what drum machine i used! shit! that beats the whole purpose of DFHS.. haha.. oh well...

shane, point taken on loss of flow in the orchestral parts.. i have a lot of velocity and expression on those MIDI notes, and not su much on the kick and snare MIDI notes.. will look into that as well... good call..and again, thank you for the patch and the fact that you have given it out to share it with others.. great! same goes for Diobolic.. you guys rock and you know it! :worship:

Seizure:

Hallo... alles goed?

I have had no theoratical background at all.. i do however, and i think more metalheads do that, listen to classical stuff if i feel like it.. i think that might help a bit, but otherwise it's just "that" tune you have in your head when you wake up or go to sleep, you know.. i just translate a basic tune into a MIDI track with, oh let's say, the piano.. really basic.. and after that i try to fit it into a metal part, see if it fits in between.. then i surround that basic tune with violins, trumpets, timpani rolls, etc.. all a different note that fits harmonically with that basic tune, and see if it works out.. that's basically it!

me 2. im really cooking in my room.