Death metal melodic song done and mixed with headphones!

Oh man! The drums! THE DRUMS! :D

The song rocks, and the production is damn good. Kazrog's patch sounds awesome.

-What soundcard brand/model?
-What guitar brand/model?
-What pickup brand/model?
-What tuning?
-What string gauge/brand?
-What plectrum gauge/brand?
-What headphone brand/model?

I love it, sounds killer. I have two small problems, though. First, the blasts and kicks are too fast and perfect. If you change the kicks to 4's instead of 6ths like Colin said it'd sound better, but I'd suggest slowing it down and making the kicks less than perfect(I'm not talking about flams everywhere, just make them not so exact). It feels like the beginning of the song is at around 250-270 bpm(tough to get exactly just from feel). Only the very best drummers in the scene today(Roddy, Kollias, Laureano, Killerich, etc.) can really play that fast for any significant length of time, and even then they're not dead-on with each hit. Lower it by 20 bpm or so and it'd be more realistic. The second problem is even smaller. That low rumble sounds like it's coming from the bass guitar. My advice is to either just lower the volume a little on it, or put a light hipass on it. Come to think of it, the kicks are clear and have a little(a just right amount) of click, but it sounds like theres a little too much low end on them, too. So, if you start a hipass on them at about maybe 55 or 60, it'd clear a lot of stuff up. Just a thought. Other than that, I agree with everyone else here, it sounds killer.

Hi, I'm new!!! and here's my 1p's worth, over all this sounds huge and pleases my ear both sonically and musically. Critically, regarding the drums, i think the snare should sit inline with the guitar as to my ears it sits way out in front, you can create more punch on the chung sections if the snare and guitar meet and complement each other, on the faster parts id personally knock back the bass drum in volume as it dominates the mix and covers up the fast bass and guitar playing. On the rolls id work the velocity as a drummer would hit, for example on a fast fills the first few notes would possibly be hit softer, but is it realism you going for? i think you should locate the rumble within the mix (if at all a problem) and filter it out pre compression if your using any, don't filter the mix, it maybe something your monitor or room maybe masking, my past mixes have sounded Shiite compared to this. Just a few tweaks this could be even better. That Kazrog Pod tone is killer!!! hope that was of use, ill post my efforts at some point fairs fair!! P.s Would love to here this with vocals.

Cheers Guys!!

Some really good points here, i dont know where to begin :loco:

Moonlapse, thanks for the tip... and i used a free bass sample with reason 3.. it came from an reason project from the band clawfinger.. they give away free drum and bass samples.. i only really like the bass though, since those drums sound a bit nu metal.. other then that, if you have reason then i would be more then happy to give the link to anyone who needs it.. it's pretty good!

Nitronium Blood:

Cheers! yeah Demise is a song i did in the very beginning.. actually that was my first serious PC recording i did.. i am going to redo that one though.. better sounds, better overall i hope...

i use a audiophile 24/96.. very cheap yet pretty solid... i like it a lot.

This was done with a gibson explorer gothic.

EMG 81 on this song.. very solid as well.

-What tuning?

I believe it's in C.. maybe C#...

That would be D'addario .010 up to .046

Dunlop plectrum, no idea what gauge it is.. can't read it anymore.. haha..

It's done with a 25 euro behringer headphone.. the HPS300 to be exact.. through an old pioneer stereo amplifier...

Exsanguis and sKINNYMe (welcome!!) thanks a lot for the replies.. very good points in there, i will take your advice and work on that pretty soon...

Thanks!

Black neon bob said:
Cheers Guys!!

Some really good points here, i dont know where to begin :loco:

Moonlapse, thanks for the tip... and i used a free bass sample with reason 3.. it came from an reason project from the band clawfinger.. they give away free drum and bass samples.. i only really like the bass though, since those drums sound a bit nu metal.. other then that, if you have reason then i would be more then happy to give the link to anyone who needs it.. it's pretty good!

Nitronium Blood:

Cheers! yeah Demise is a song i did in the very beginning.. actually that was my first serious PC recording i did.. i am going to redo that one though.. better sounds, better overall i hope...

i use a audiophile 24/96.. very cheap yet pretty solid... i like it a lot.

This was done with a gibson explorer gothic.

EMG 81 on this song.. very solid as well.

-What tuning?

I believe it's in C.. maybe C#...

That would be D'addario .010 up to .046

Dunlop plectrum, no idea what gauge it is.. can't read it anymore.. haha..

It's done with a 25 euro behringer headphone.. the HPS300 to be exact.. through an old pioneer stereo amplifier...

Exsanguis and sKINNYMe (welcome!!) thanks a lot for the replies.. very good points in there, i will take your advice and work on that pretty soon...

Thanks!

what was that site again ? cause i have reason 3.

thx dude,

Yeah, the link to the bass samples would be great. I've been needing something to fill in that range on my recordings forever! haha.

I think I know the band you're talking about too... they created a track (or multiple tracks?) solely in reason didn't they, but it's nu-metal? So it was a pretty interesting thing to do with a sequencer/sampler etc. combo.

No problem Moonlapse, i hope it works out for you!

EtherForBreakfast:

Yeah, it's directly plugged into the audiophile soundcard, nothing more.. i did use Andy's Waves C4 settings on it, and BBE sonic maximizer.. that's it.. also i rolled off the highs quite a bit.. that BBE maximizer did help out.. i used two tracks, one left (90) and right (94)..

That's it..

Black neon bob said:

EtherForBreakfast:

Yeah, it's directly plugged into the audiophile soundcard, nothing more.. i did use Andy's Waves C4 settings on it, and BBE sonic maximizer.. that's it.. also i rolled off the highs quite a bit.. that BBE maximizer did help out.. i used two tracks, one left (90) and right (94)..

That's it..
Thank you for the earlier info man.

-I am very curious as to how your mix would sound without the maximizer. Any chance of a brief clip the do an A/B comparison? :)

-Also, did you roll off the highs in software or Pod XT? If Pod XT, can you please provide us with your modified Kazzy patch? :D

Black neon bob said:

EtherForBreakfast:

That's it..

where didu find that C4 preset again ?

Kazrog said:
What about the Gemini pedal?

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/SNAMM97/Other/241.html

Listen to Morbid Angel's "Gateways to Annihilation." Pete Sandoval goes about this fast with the Gemini! :worship:

Man, talk about a small freakin' world. The family that designed it lives in my town....3 of 'em are drummers. Of of them was my best friend's drummer. That pedal came to be out of a desire to do double-bass beats while still doing hi-hat pedal work.

Every time I hear this, I'm even more impressed, especially with that tone. With Kazrog's tone, did you use a real Tube Screamer, or the simulated one? Also, what DAW are you using? Great job man, keep up the good work.

OzNimbus said:
Man, talk about a small freakin' world. The family that designed it lives in my town....3 of 'em are drummers. Of of them was my best friend's drummer. That pedal came to be out of a desire to do double-bass beats while still doing hi-hat pedal work.

how the heck does that paddle work. you press 1 time and u hear 2 hits at the same time ? i don't get the pedal.

Nitrium:

Yeah, i will try that.. it will just sound les dynamic i guess.. but i will try that soon.. good idea!

oh, and i rolled off the highs in nuendo's EQ.. i just rolled back on the gain on Shane's patch...

Mendel:

Here you go , soldier!

http://www.andysneap.com/Wavec.gif

Exsanguis:

Cheers!.. and i used no tube screamer on kazrog's patch, in fact i have no stomp on at all..
I used Nuendo with this... i love that program!

Thanks Hopkins...

Man...this stuff is orgasmic. I really dig the mix, but the guitar tone and the overall song...It's like an aureal orgy in my head!

One question...How did you program out the drums? Did you use a midi controller and do it in real time, or did you plan out each individual hit in the drum editor? The latter would seem like the biggest pain in the ass, expecially for this song.