Did Anathema ever tour the US?

I saw them both times at the 2000 and 2001 editions of Metalfest. It was really cool because Jonas and Anders(Katatonia) were outside the Relapse stage waiting for them to perform, and were totally cool and social with their fans. However, I really liked the 2001 appearance much better, as the sense of spontaneity, combined with the better sound, and light-hearted jokes of Vinny("We have pounds! Will someone get us a beer?") that were resultant of their late flight to Milwaukee I guess. But all in all, it was a fantastic show, and even featured Danny playing a Radiohead melody during his tuning and warmups(Paranoid Android? Can't quite remember.....)

I knew they had played the MMF at least once before, but don't remember a full tour or anything in the states. I've loved Anathema and still do, but their lack of touring here has hurt their fanbase I think.

P.S. Eternity will always be one of my favorite albums of all time. Judgement is close behind that too.

Vinz from 'La Haine' said:
Lowell? Niiiiiiiiice. Goin' to the Owl Diner for the Andover Street Omelette tomorrow morning.

Cool, It's nice to know there is another Anathematic in Lowell. I haven't been to the Owl in a while, but when I go I'll be sure to wear a band shirt (Opeth or Nevermore maybe). So, keep an eye out. You live here or going to UMass?

I went to UML, and lived in Lowell for a while.
I'm over in Andover now, but still get back to Lowell often.
Bloody hell, this reminds me- I will have to stop at the Dubliner to sup some Guinness!

Who is DT? Dark Tranquility?
Opeth are fantastic, but I am (almost) sick of them- I saw 'em 6 times on the BWP tour (4 in MA!) and then a couple times recently.
Did you go to the games against Montreal?
Raycroft is the saviour!

Yeah, I saw them in 2000 and 2001. If you check my sig page you can see some pics I took. I didn't start taking pictures until 2001 and have yet to get 2003's edited and up but I'm working on it :) Dark Tranquility, Katatonia and Anatema need to do a tour together here in the states. I'd make the drive for that.

The 2000 MetalFest performance was the single greatest live music show I've yet to witness. This band could be much bigger if they could do the kind of touring here that Opeth or even Lacuna Coil have been able to do recently...Perhaps even a short tour such as The Gathering's recent trek. I had the pleassure of meeting each member of Anathema and was refreshed at their down to earth personality...They seemed quite grateful that fans here in the U.S. were supportive of their music. I don't think they expected the response they recieved.

I agree that Anathema should tour here. I think the fact that they don't get much press coverage here nor do they get big cd sales here is probably what deters them from touring here, but I think that they have built up enough of a strong cult following over the years that at least a small tour would be worth doing. I guess ultimately it depends on whether or not a tour promoter is willing to net them the proper amount of dollars needed to make it happen!
I saw them at both 2000 and 2001 metalfest, and they both count as some of my favorite moments at a fest ever, not to mention the short acoustic set they did in the press room in 2001 as well. They played bits of Beatles and Pink Floyd songs as well as "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead, which was just superb. I've seen alot of crap at these fests over the years but the Anathema appearances alone make up for much of it.
Ironically, I was never that big of a fan of the band really, though I always appreciated them and listened to them now and then. But seeing them live was a whole 'nother thing, they just ruled live. So for those of you who haven't seen them live yet, just you wait! You won't be disappointed I bet.