Did Deliverance live up to your expectations?

Did Deliverance live up to your expectations?

• Yes! I am very pleased with the CD.

Votes: 87 77.7%
  • No. I am rather disappointed with the CD.

Votes: 25 22.3%

• Total voters

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
I just recieved Deliverance for Christmas, and have been listening to it excessively over the last few days. As with most other Opeth fans, my expectations for this CD were EXTREMELY high. Were they met?...........YES!!!! I am absolutely satisfied with this new release, it has all the Opeth qualities I love, brutality, extraordinary musicianship, beautiful melodic parts, crushing heavy parts, technically progressive instrumental parts, all in all a PERFECT release.
So my question is this, were your expectations met by Deliverance, or were you let down?
Discuss.

Deliverance is definitely a very good album.
I think is even better than BWP, so I was pretty satisfied with it!

After a couple of listens, I was pretty disappointed.

After 10 listens, I warmed up to it.

After 25 listens, it became my favorite Opeth album.

After 50 listens, it became one of my favorite albums of all time.

So, yeah, I'm pleased.

- d, who's approaching 100 listens, but is pretty sure The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway's position on top is still safe.

I'll be the first (in this thread) to say that it wasn't all I'd thought it would/could be, though it's still a great album. So I guess I'd say that I'm please, but a little disappointed at the same time.

However, I have been looking forward to Damnation a lot more since the whole two album thing was announced.

I love it, lived up for me. Still life still holds the top spot as far as Opeth albums go and Children of Bodom's "hatebreeder" still resides in my all-time number-one slot, but Deliverance was excellent.

Yes, especially after repeated listens. It didn't meet some expectations, but surpassed others. Nothing irregular there.

I don't think that Deliverance is their best album ever, but it definitely met my expectations. I was hoping for something a bit heavier, a move away from Blackwater Park and Still Life, and that's exactly what it is. Some of the tracks took a bit of getting used to - the mellotron in By The Pain I See In Others definitely took a few listens - but now, I absolutely love it. Very excited about Damnation as well.

I loved it the first listens and I still do. The one thing I can't enjoy entirely though (and I know it is already a cliche here) is the dragging end of Deliverance.

It didn't live up to my expectations........

it completely blew them away!! :p

I already rate this album above SL and BWP, and I've only had it 5 days. It's everything (well almost, minus that twin guitar thing) that I love about Opeth, the atmosphere, the structures, the riffs. I really like that the drumming is a big part of some of the songs, kinda like the first 2 albums, as opposed to just hovering around in the background.
I wasn't really looking foward to getting it, if I didn't like it much it would've been the last Opeth album I'd buy just because it has Opeth printed on the front of it (I figure, 3 albums in a row that I don't really care for is enough to warrant ditching a band. Not that SL isn't good, I just much prefer the first 3, and I dislike BWP very much), but now I feel like a fanboy again :D

All that really matters to me is that I'm happy and pleased with it. There will always be things that I'll want to change but that's life. Overall, its excellent and I can't wait to see them live again!!