Did helloween create power metal?

tyco

New Metal Member
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
...readin this Editorial on a website that arguees that it was Nevermore and other American power metal bands that created power metal..I kinda agree, never got that European power metal thing...check it...

www.tmetal.com

-ty

Nevermore / other american bands created power metal? what a joke!!!!! Helloween definately created it mid 80's. They have a different opinion on what true power metal is, and they are wrong, sorry but Helloween was the first true power metal band.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Nevermore / other american bands created power metal? what a joke!!!!! Helloween definately created it mid 80's. They have a different opinion on what true power metal is, and they are wrong, sorry but Helloween was the first true power metal band.

Gotta disagree with ya. I was livin back then too and the term power metal was used long before 87. Its a fact. Helloween just stole it.

-ty

Helloween created the europower metal scene

but some other bands in the u.s.a. played power metal before helloween's "keeper of the 7 keys" (the album that made euro-power metal) and created the u.s. power metal scene (Metal Church, early Queensryche, early Fates Warning etc, Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction" etc)

Power Metal- some think this term could apply to "later" Iron Madien and Judas Priest. I think this is definitely a "European" term and was created way before Helloween. It's hard for me to distinguish between "traditional metal, prog-metal, power metal,math- metal, euro-metal, etc...." I agree with IOfThStorm :Helloween created the europower metal scene

but some other bands in the u.s.a. played power metal before helloween's "keeper of the 7 keys" (the album that made euro-power metal) and created the u.s. power metal scene (Metal Church, early Queensryche, early Fates Warning etc, Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction" etc).

When someone says "power metal" I think of bands like: Metalium, Spiral Architect, Jag Panzer, Pretty Maids, Hammerfall, Primal Fear, Manowar (maybe), and early Metal Church, Queensryche (E.P. and Warning), Fates Warning (Night On Brocken through No Exit), Stratovarius. I'm sure there are more...

power metal ? * cough
Abraxas Alkemyst Angel Dust Angra Archetype Armada, The Arwen At Vance Attack Attika Avalon Avantasia Biomechanical Black Majesty Black Steel Blind Guardian Brainstorm Cea Serin Children Of Bodom Chinchilla Cryptic Cydonia Dark Moor Defender Demons & Wizards Deris, Andi DGM Dionysus Domine Dragonforce Dragonland Dream Child Dream Evil Dreamsfear Dreamtale Dungeon Edenbridge Edguy Eidolon Elvenking Eyefear Fairyland Falconer Firewind Freedom Call Full Strike Galloglass Gamma Ray Glenmore HammerFall Harmony Havayoth Heavenly Heavy Metal Perse Helloween Highland Glory Hollow Human Fortress Hyperion (AUS) Hyperion (ITA) Insania Invictus Iron Fire Iron Savior Kalmah Kamelot Kenziner Kotipelto Labyrinth Lanfear Lightmare Lion's Share Lost Horizon Lucifer's Heritage Magic Kingdom Manticora Masterplan Meduza Mercenary Mercury Tide Merging Flare Metalium Midnight Sun Mob Rules Montany Moonlight Circus Morifade Mrs. Hippie Narnia Nocturnal Rites Nostradameus Oratory Pagan's Mind Pantera Paradox Pathos Pegazus Phoenix Rising Power Quest Power Symphony Rage Rawhead Rexx Reptilian Requiem Rhapsody Rough Silk Royal Hunt Sea Of Dreams Secret Sphere Seventh Avenue Seventh One Silent Force Skylark Sonata Arctica Soul Cages Squealer Steel Attack Stratovarius Symphorce Tad Morose Taraxacum Thunderbolt Thunderstone Thy Majestie Tragedy Divine Treasure Seeker Turilli, Luca Twilight Twilightning Undercode Vainglory Veni Domine Viperine Virtuocity Vision Divine Voyager Warlord Warmen Wuthering Heights Wyvern Zaxas

oh yeah, and as far as american power metal
Abattoir Armageddon Assault Caine Circle II Circle Demons & Wizards Destiny's End DoomSword Dungeon Eidolon Encryption Enertia Fates Warning Fear Tech Fictional Prison Flotsam and Jetsam Forte Hades (USA) Heretic Iced Earth Ion Vein Jacobs Dream Jag Panzer Juggernaut Lefay Lethal Liege Lord Lizzy Borden Madd Hunter Manowar Memento Mori Metal Church Moon of Steel Morgana Lefay Mystic Force Nasty Savage Nevermore New Eden Nightmare's End Omen Onward Oracle Power Powersurge Purgatory Rampage Redemption Rock, Rob Sanctuary Satans Host Savatage Seven Witches Steel Prophet Twelfth Gate Unleashed Power Veni Domine Vio-lence Virgin Steele Wayne Winters Bane Zaxas

deathstrikefromhell. Thanks for the list. However, I think you forgot a few: ANNIHILATOR, ANVIL, NON-FICTION, RIOT, KILLERS (PAUL DIANNO'S), SKYCLAD.

(I am being a smart ass. HA! HA!) I'm sure there are more. somebody help us out.

tyco said:
Gotta disagree with ya. I was livin back then too and the term power metal was used long before 87. Its a fact. Helloween just stole it.

-ty
First of all, Keeper of the 7 keys pt 1 isn't helloweens first album, they released thier first one in 1985, and have been around longer since. Based on the true definition of power metal, which is the melodic Iron Maiden sound mixed with high thrashy speeds, they were the first to do it pretty much. Iron Maiden aren't really "true" power metal, they were lacking the speed. Its like when people say Possessed were the first death metal band instead of Death, but both bands were around since 1983, and Posessed, while they released their first album in '85 and Death in '87, they were more of a thrash-death transition. Scream Bloody Gore was the first pure death metal album. Therefore, Death were the first Death metal band.

SunlapseVertigo said:
First of all, Keeper of the 7 keys pt 1 isn't helloweens first album, they released thier first one in 1985, and have been around longer since. Based on the true definition of power metal, which is the melodic Iron Maiden sound mixed with high thrashy speeds, they were the first to do it pretty much. Iron Maiden aren't really "true" power metal, they were lacking the speed. Its like when people say Possessed were the first death metal band instead of Death, but both bands were around since 1983, and Posessed, while they released their first album in '85 and Death in '87, they were more of a thrash-death transition. Scream Bloody Gore was the first pure death metal album. Therefore, Death were the first Death metal band.
See, here's where I disagree. Define "true" power metal. You can't. High speed is a quality found in many of the Euro power metal acts, but not necessarily all acts, and certainly not in many American "power metal" bands. To me, Maiden influenced them all. Even if future many future metal acts cranked it up a couple notches, Maiden are the true pioneers.