Diet and Nutrition.

Mathiäs;8928648 said:
Oh, I really don't want to do his weight bearing programs (I'm sure their great, but I already have a pretty good lifting regimine, and I need to cut mass, not build muscle). I go to the gym everyday in conjunction with the other stuff.

I'm really trying to lose 25 pounds. I'm 5'9, like 213ish. I have a lot of muscle, and I'm not that out of shape, either, so I'm focusing more on the plyometrics and cardio programs. My diet, while significantly better than it was before, still needs improving as well.

If you havn't already, I think you should take a look at crossfit.com. I am not sure what you mean when you say lifting regimine, but if it implies what I am assuming it does you would be better off with a workout involving almost purely bodyweight exercises. So spoke the 168lb 6'3" guy.

I know the Marine Corp is trying to incorperate Crossfit into training (but having some difficulty fighting the old "run and lift" mindset).

I need to eventually up my cardio but have been lazy on that since starting to work out after driving the truck for a few months. I put on about 15lbs in 3 months of truck driving, basically just in love handles go figure. Soda's are a killer.

I have gotten all my lifting weights back up to pre-break levels now, so I am going to have to start a cardio routine on top of it but can't decide whether I want to do something along the lines of sprint workouts or just run it off.

I am trying to switch to the "barefoot" running style, and it is a lot harder than you would think, so when I do run it isn't for very long.

There is nothing wrong with this program but there are some things that aren't quite accurate.

First thing is this, muscle confusion, he talks about muscle confusion and how important it is like some how he has discovered this secret, he didnt discover anything. The reason why your muscles grow is not because they are confused it's because they are stressed. That's why the body changes, because the stress is applied and your body has to change to over come this stress.

Intense musculer contractions. The principals are the same, when muscles are flexed intensely, they change. So if you change your work out around but they are not that hard and not that challenging its not going to work.

He also talks about pushing verses pulling lol This makes NO difference. It's always intense muscular contractions.

There are a couple of other principals you should be aware of when watching this stuff on T.V. Notice he doesn't use any heavy poeple in his infomercials, because you can't achieve tremendous weight loss in 90 days. also if your just starting a program and I don't care what it is, the first 90 days you're going to see a dramatic difference because you haven't done much before that time. You don't see him doing a P365X.

It's a company trying to sell you a CD FOR 150 dollars.

Cut your calories and run. All free!

Yeah, it's a lot of talking points, but if you've done the workouts you'd know they do the job (well, the plio/cardio/ab ones do). Also, the muscle confusion point has some validity - doing the same workout everyday will not help you get stronger.

If you havn't already, I think you should take a look at crossfit.com. I am not sure what you mean when you say lifting regimine, but if it implies what I am assuming it does you would be better off with a workout involving almost purely bodyweight exercises. So spoke the 168lb 6'3" guy.

Yeah, I've been looking at a lot of cross fit exercises and do incorporate some into my workouts.

I know the Marine Corp is trying to incorperate Crossfit into training (but having some difficulty fighting the old "run and lift" mindset).

A couple of my buddies in the SF have been doing cross fit training as a unit, apparently, in conjunction with other shit.

Well for starters I am not flat footed. Secondly, I had been runnning quite fine runnning normally, but came across various articles on the benefits to your joints (mainly your knees) from running barefoot, or, as you would if you didn't have a nice cushy sole for your heel to land on.

There is plenty of information out there on this. I can definitely say it's much more muscle intensive, takes working up to. I am no where near being able to run as far this way as I was the other way.

There was actually an article about it today in The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article7045833.ece

To be clear, I still wear shoes, but I land on the toes/ball of my feet instead of the heel, basically like sprinting.

no, your feet will grind down and become flat footed :lol: I doubt you will run that much out of the marines as a truck driver then when you were in the marines. it really doesn't make any sense, unless you are like Hubster trying to rid yourself of materialistic items :lol:

According to everything I am reading it does not make you flat footed, and this is review from people who run way more than I ever did. Whether you believe in evolution or intelligent design, it makes sense that we should run on "tip toes" almost, as opposed to slamming our heels into the ground. Cushioned tennis shoes have only been around for a few decades.

I am not driving a truck anymore or no I wouldn't have time to run. As it is I married a Marine so I still have acces to the base gym and what not.

you dont run on ur tip toes mate, you slap your heel and roll with your momentum to ur toes, over and over again. Sprinting I guess I heard you use ur tip toes but I cant sprint for dog shit so dont know much

Well for starters I am not flat footed. Secondly, I had been runnning quite fine runnning normally, but came across various articles on the benefits to your joints (mainly your knees) from running barefoot, or, as you would if you didn't have a nice cushy sole for your heel to land on.

I know you've read up more on this than I have, but that just sounds completely nonsensical and unhealthy. Our ancestors didn't necessarily go on miles-long runs on pavement several times a week either, so the argument that cushy soles are unhealthy for running because they're a recent invention sounds like bologna.

Running long distances on pavement isn't healthy regardless of how much cushion you have under your heels, so that really sin't a good point.

It's not the cushion that is unhealthy, the argument is that the impact of slamming your body weight+force on your heels and the impact that also has on the rest of your frame (but particularly your knees) is not natural or healthy.

You couldn't run run this way except on the most forgiving of turfs barefoot, so it stands to reason that our ancestors ran in sprint fashion most if not all the time. I am alreayd noticing a difference in leg strength and response to training.

I understand the problem with slamming your heels when you run, but I'm pretty sure if you have good form (i.e. roll onto your toes as mentioned before) then you're not going to be jarring your body so much.

I mean, for all I know running on the front of your feet is better and all, but I'm still pretty skeptical. It is, as you have already said, "sprint fashion", and again our ancestors didn't necessarily do regular long-distance running.

True, but I am giving it a shot. I knew a couple of really fast runners in the Marine Corp and they would literally sprint the whole 3 mile test course. At some point to run faster you have to switch to that form. I pretty much peaked out at a 20 min three mile running standard, so I am going to try switching the form up and see if I eventually get better results.