Discussion on the new Album:"Stand up and Fight"

The Great Escape - starts well but gets quite boring after the first half. Is this really the heaviest track on the record?
Three songs I've heard so far - and three disappointments
It's ok music but Turisas' new style is just not to my taste and it appears I'm not the only one.
Still I'll give it a try once the album comes out .

I wonder if the are going through a Nightwish-syndrome kind of thing. The orchestra overwhelms everything and the singing goes towards a more accessible style. But atleast the singer is not likely to be switched since warlord is turisas tuomas, no tarja.

this made a lot of sense I'm sure....

do you know how many bands use orchestrations and such things? are all like nightwish? come on.

oh and about the question about the heaviest track - I can´t tell, I don´t listen to an album with the view on the heavyness of a song, but just if I like it or not XD

Eh apparently there's a lot of people who's kind of butthurt about the use of orchestra and the exploration of a more "symphonic" dimension of the music. Which I don't really get, especially as long as the reason behind it would be "it's not metal enough". I don't know, but for me, the quality of the music isn't given by the number of electric guitars featured on the song, nor the OH GOD, SO HEAVY distorts and effects. Regarding the orchestra, as long as it's used for BACK-UP of the already existing SOLID material, it can only be a plus for me. But if it's just thrown there as a filler, eh. COULD even turn out nice, but we couldn't really talk about the quality of the composition / the writer's inspiration in that case.

That being said, I have only listened to 2 songs of the new album, so this is just my 2 cents on a merely theoretical level. :)

sure there are other symphonic metal bands around but Nightwish is probably the most known (the best?) so its only natural it comes to ones mind first. And listening to the second half of TGE -for exapmple- I can hear a similar sound, not the same though. (Thinking about it, maybe i have this impression because they're using real orchestra there).
In my ears it doesn't fit too well with Mathias singing, I'd rather hear a classically trained voice there but this is a matter of personal taste and not to lessen Turisas' originality or their songwriting skills.

That said I prefer the rougher side of Turisas. If not for songs like "As Torches Rise" or "Cused be Iron" and others I would probably not listen to them so much and therefore a certain level of heaviness is inportant to me. Whats wrong with that? If i was only going for heaviness i would listen to completely differetn bands anyway!

In the end Turisas are free to do what they want; if they decide to get less heavy with every album, than thats bad luck for ME

The post-dude was kind enough to just deliever my CD + shirt to me...

Besides the fact my computer didn´t want me to play the bonus tracks at first (lord knows why >.<)...anyways, I love "Broadsword" :)

And about the bonus material...I have to say my fellow students are good at what they are doing :p (if you ask yourself "wtf is she talking about" - the booklet might bring the answer ^^)
Nah, joking aside, I like it :)

ooooh and: i love the booklet - not overdone, not to full :)

O c**p i forgot to order the CD, could it also be found i stores already?

I just thought some of the reviews and comments reminded of those often being said about Nightwish. Personally I love orchestras :D

it should be in the stores since today (all depends on the store, no guaranty XD) :)

...and what area of the world you live in, I suppose.

Finland/Japan: February 23rd, 2011
Germany/Austria/Switzerland: February 25th, 2011
Europe/UK: February 28th, 2011
Australia/NZ: March 4th, 2011
North America: March 8th, 2011

Ya, got it :D

Not from the CD-shop though (had'nt arrived yet...) , but from the department store. The last (only?) copy they had.

Edit. Finland

I am waiting for the little kinds hungry for ratings and high view counts on YouTube to post all the songs over there in droves.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan