Discussion on upcoming 'Other' thread for GMD Votes series

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
So, there's talk of doing this after I take a break, but it doesn't hurt to discuss before then.

What genres should be included? Are there bands that are disqualified because they toe too many genre lines (ala Celtic Frost)?

It will follow the typical 'Prelim/20/10' structure, but I didn't know how far we all want to take it.

I'm thinking stuff like Folk, Prog, Ambient. I'll even allow Grindcore.

Thoughts?

Ambient Black Metal was already covered in the Black Metal thread.

Folk, Prog, and Grindcore are fine, and I'd add Death/Doom, Funeral Doom, and Stoner Doom, since none of them were allowed in the trad/doom thread.

Sludge and Stoner ffs. Grindcore is pointless because the grind most closely associated with death metal is usually included anyway. (terrorizer, napalm death etc)

Also should be eligible:
Folk
Funeral Doom
Untrue death/doom (ala MDB, Novembers Doom, etc)
Viking metal (ala Hammerheart)
Prog (this leaves open interpretation on if was already covered though)
Metalcore

Not saying I want to vote specifically for any of these, but they deserve some kind of representation.

Sludge and Stoner ffs. Grindcore is pointless because the grind most closely associated with death metal is usually included anyway. (terrorizer, napalm death etc)

Also should be eligible:
Folk
Funeral Doom
Untrue death/doom (ala MDB, Novembers Doom, etc)
Viking metal (ala Hammerheart)
Prog (this leaves open interpretation on if was already covered though)
Metalcore

Not saying I want to vote specifically for any of these, but they deserve some kind of representation.

Good list of things to include. Definitely metalcore and deathcore

When I think prog, I think stuff like Dream Theater so that may narrow it down some..

I haven't seen any Napalm Death album listed in DM thread I guess. Grind should have its own voting.

Turn Loose the Swans is good example of 'true' death/doom.

Newbie here. Are we just establishing what genres will be included in a future "Best Of . . . " thread?

I'd like to see Industrial Metal included if it hasn't already been done.

No we are talking about prog rock and traditional folk music because theyre somehow relevant to this thread.

Gothic metal
Symphonic metal
Euro power metal (since that apparently didn't fit in with the trad/doom list)

i'd prefer this list if it included non-metal that's tangibly related to metal or would appeal to metalheads. bit of a loose, arbitrary guideline but i'm fine with that personally.

that said, i understand if people want to differentiate between non-metal and metal genres we thusfar haven't covered.