Dissection

Prophetix

Devon killed Buddy
Sep 4, 2001
Dawlat elBa7rain
www.opeth.com
Dissection is an extremely unique talented band! Storm of the Lights bane is one of Swedens best metal albums.. I just wanna know what happened about Jon Nodtveidt and the murder. Who did he murder, and why? Did he get a life-sentence or something?

Forget everyone else, Dissection has the most brutally ingenious death metal I've ever heard in my life! 2004 is not coming soon enough, I want new Dissection NOW!!!

Still, Opeth is the best progressive band I know about - how about an Opeth/Dissection tour?!

Orchid and Morningrise are the epitome of Progressive metal/death metal, what have you. The other three albums are not progressive. Opeth dumped all progressive elements for more clean vocals and boring riffs. They did not progress. OK, I guess one could argue that they progressed from Morningrise to MAYH, but there certainly hasn't been a change since MAYH, no "progression."

Ignore my last post, I meant since MAYH, my bad.

You know, I really hate words like "progressive" anyway because what do they mean? And another thing is they just seem to get everyone pissed off about who belongs in each category and why, so fuck it. Forget I used the fucking word progressive.

Opeth is the shit, and if you don't think so then get off their fucking message boards!

Originally posted by Bubonic Chronic

Opeth is the shit, and if you don't think so then get off their fucking message boards!

You know, it's really a shame when someone tries to have a nice discussion and then someone else reverts back to their elementary days of cussing and acting like a child

What does "progressive" mean? Here ya go:

progressive- Improving; as, art is in a progressive state

When I talk about "progressive" music, I'm not necessarily talking about the genre or category. Progressive music should progress, which the first two albums did and the last two have not, hence they are not progressive.

The two most similar Opeth albums are Orchid and Morningrise, therefore those would be the least progressive by your definition. MAYH was a huge change, and Still Life was a rather large change too. I would have to agree that BWP isn't progressive by THAT deffintion

How exactly are Orchid and Morningrise similar? Morningrise brought about the use of more clean vocals (the last song), where Orchid barely had any. They had no similarities except that they both came before the "big change" that would be MAYH

And the two albums that are most similar are Still life and BWP. Hell, they both have a ballad as the third song. Still Life and BWP are death metal with clean vocals and acoustic guitars. That is it, and that is all.

Originally posted by Dreamlord

You know, it's really a shame when someone tries to have a nice discussion and then someone else reverts back to their elementary days of cussing and acting like a child

What does "progressive" mean? Here ya go:

progressive- Improving; as, art is in a progressive state

When I talk about "progressive" music, I'm not necessarily talking about the genre or category. Progressive music should progress, which the first two albums did and the last two have not, hence they are not progressive.

Wow, I'm truly astounded by your mountains of expertise!!

As I said, who gives a fuck!

Opeth is the best at what they do (whatever the bloody fucking crap you call it) and Dissection are the best at what they do (whatever you call THAT) so I think they should tour. Both bands would fit on the same bill very well with just enough variety to keep it interesting - not too much where you get fights. All the black metallers in my town go to see Opeth every time, and I'm sure they would go see Dissection in a heartbeat. The bands are very different, but they are both good enough to be appreciated by a wide audience.

If you weren't so high up on you Webster's Dictionary horse you might have actually understood what I posted.

Originally posted by Opethfan1980
I agree with Dreamlord that Opeth hasn't really progressed a whole lot since MAYH, but I contend that they don't really need to. Their formula works, and it is very open ended in terms of song structure.

Fair enough. Thank you for not reverting to childish antics with your replies.

@Bubonic Chronic- I do agree that an Opeth/Dissection tour would kick ass

Orchid and Morningrise are similar b/c they contain many similar riffs, infact some of the parts are almost excatly the same (ie the opening acoustic part of Requime and the acoustic part in BRI with the Seagulls in the background). Theres many more too.