Dissection

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Orchid and Morningrise are the epitome of Progressive metal/death metal, what have you. The other three albums are not progressive. Opeth dumped all progressive elements for more clean vocals and boring riffs. They did not progress. OK, I guess one could argue that they progressed from Morningrise to MAYH, but there certainly hasn't been a change since MAYH, no "progression."

Ignore my last post, I meant since MAYH, my bad.

I see a big difference between the three last cds, yes they are progressing.

Orchid and Morningrise are the epitome of Progressive metal/death metal, what have you. The other three albums are not progressive. Opeth dumped all progressive elements for more clean vocals and boring riffs. They did not progress. OK, I guess one could argue that they progressed from Morningrise to MAYH, but there certainly hasn't been a change since MAYH, no "progression."

I'm gonna have to sort of, go ahead and disagree with you on this one ... I think that Orchid and Morningrise have a similar sound/vibe and Still Life and Blackwater Park have a similar sound/vibe ... My Arms, Your Hearse stands alone with the properties of the first and last two in some sort of hybrid ... Regardless, I like them all ... That's my two cents.

Originally posted by Furious B

I'm gonna have to sort of, go ahead and disagree with you on this one ... I think that Orchid and Morningrise have a similar sound/vibe and Still Life and Blackwater Park have a similar sound/vibe ... My Arms, Your Hearse stands alone with the properties of the first and last two in some sort of hybrid ... Regardless, I like them all ... That's my two cents.

And this has to do with Dissection because?

Nonsense. You must not be a terribly analytical listener if you believe this. Firstly, Orchid and Morningrise as I remember were both written largely during the same time and production aside I can't see much difference at all in the songwriting. Yes, Morningrise has a bit more singing, but that's fairly irrelevant as neither album is particularly vocal-driven. Actually, how about you tell me how they AREN'T similar, vocals aside? I'm curious.

Second, the difference between Still Life and MAYH is much more significant than Morningrise and Orchid; Still Life introduced more experimental chord progressions, more coherent song structure and subtle jazz undertones, which are pretty much absent from MAYH. I'll agree that Blackwater Park isn't much of a departure, but I don't think it's a total rehash either thanks to Wilson's involvement.

Also, Orchid and Morningrise are the epitome of progressive metal? Heh, I'd like to know what your definition of prog metal is in that case.

Originally posted by Penny
Orchid and Morningrise are similar in that they both do not rely on simple song structure like Still Life and BWP did. Most of the songs have numerous riffs, and therefore do not rely upon the single song structure. For example, Black Rose Immortal relies on numerous different riffs put together in one song. Progressive.

I seriously hope that was an attempt at irony, but if not, how are the structures on Still Life and BWP anything close to conventional? If anything, they're a massive improvement over the sloppy, random structures of Orchid and Morningrise. Most of the songs on Morningrise sound like a collage of riffs placed together with little sense of dynamics or tension.

I would disagree that the difference between MAYH and Still Life is greater than that of Orchid and Morningrise. I would contend the biggest difference Opeth made was the jump from Morningrise to MAYH. It's obvious. Still Life and BWP sound like leftover softer moments from the MAYH days.

just my 2 cents

I was never referring to the progression from Morningrise to MAYH. Read > comprehend > post.

Well, like Penny said, the songs rely on more than one simple riff throughout the song. I guess the "random sloppy structures" just appeal to me more than the blandness of Still Life and BWP. It's just my opinion.

Well, like Penny said, the songs rely on more than one simple riff throughout the song. I guess the "random sloppy structures" just appeal to me more than the blandness of Still Life and BWP. It's just my opinion.

That's the thing; their song structures haven't become any more conventional, they've just become more intelligent and dynamic. And that hardly even pertains to my original post.

By the way, the riffs on Morningrise and Orchid are infinitely more simple than Still Life and BWP. Not your bag? That's fine, but simple they're not.