disturbed sound

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
i just hear the new disturbed album, what do you think have they done with the guitars? its an awesome sound i think, what kind of equipment do they use?

i just have that pitty link here, maybe someone of you guys have bought the album already: [ame]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=AdnutmOJg1Q[/ame]

AFAIK he uses Washburn custom made guitars (Maya), Randall and also Mesa/Boogie amps (mostly Randall though). I know he uses Mesas for outdoor venues, not sure why other than better carrying style of tone or something. Digitech pedals, Ernie Ball pedals and BBE sonic maximizer. Not sure about the tone on the album, I'm just referencing his live rig.

~006

In one of his many latest articles in some magizines, he had said he used every amp under the sun on the new album, mesa's, bogners, diezel, etc... And I seem to recal something about a Palmer unit, I'd have to re-read it.

God I love that their guitarist (is Dan Donegan the only one?) is soloing now, even if he's just "eh" IMO - it just makes me happy that soloing is "in," and I always thought Disturbed were one of the best "nu-metal" bands even back in the "Sickness" days. The tone doesn't sound like anything too special to me, though a big part is probably how wretched the audio quality in the video is.

You nailed it right on the head there metaltastic. I can remember hearing Disturbd's first single and was glad finally something good came on the radio.

Disturbed is terrible. Period. And Donegan isn't doing anything complicated enough to warrant the word "tight". He's a garage/cover band guitarist whose tone and general sonic appeal comes from seriously high-dollar gear, expensive production, and the wonderful world of Pro Tools. Conclusion: The fucker is seriously over rated.

Disturbed is terrible. Period. And Donegan isn't doing anything complicated enough to warrant the word "tight". He's a garage/cover band guitarist whose tone and general sonic appeal comes from seriously high-dollar gear, expensive production, and the wonderful world of Pro Tools. Conclusion: The fucker is seriously over rated.

A bit jealous are we?

~006

seems to me you are very into this band? have you ever met them in the studio or whatched them recording a song. you must have! only the vocalist is very shitty live. guitar, bass and drums must be played live at gigs. you know i'm saying?

seems to me you are very into this band? have you ever met them in the studio or whatched them recording a song. you must have! only the vocalist is very shitty live. guitar, bass and drums must be played live at gigs. you know i'm saying?

Hey man... You don't know me or the general tone of my posts, so be careful jumping in head-first.

That said, I think you missed the point. My point was that I can't think of a single guitar player I know who couldn't do Dan Donegan's job. And I know some pretty terrible guitar players. He's not writing or playing anything impressive or complicated. And most of the "hooks" they write are way overused and usually not just by them. IMO, they are a bunch of lucky HACKS.

yeah, thats right what you say, but tell me one band in the metal scene which is really doing new riffs. when you listen closer everything was played in the past by someone else. it seems to me that we have to go with the limitation of the frets and guitarstrings. there are too much guitarrist outhere, you cannot invent new steel. and you don't have to. listen to malmsteen or vai, sometimes you got the feeling some tones of them where played before...but thats metal!:headbang:

Alright, fair enough. I can see where you're coming from Tommy Gun and I understand (and to some instances agree). But let's place this in context, shall we?

Donegan makes this his job. So whatever he does he has to make it work so he can be a productive member of the band and keep his job. Can you blame a man for using whatever works so he can maintain his position? Let's look at it from another angle.

You say he's just as bad or worse than other guitar players you've heard. That could very well be true but the biggest difference is that Donegan has an awesome job and they do not. Obviously there is something different about these other guitar players than Donegan. You also say he's not writing anything complicated or original. Again that may be true but Disturbd have earned themselves a place between the metal world and the industrial world with the blending of the two genre's and making it work. Obviously when you combine two genre's you can take two non-original pieces of work from their respective genre, mesh them together and you get some originality by combining to two.

And if the only real difference between your average guitarist and Donegan is the range and scale of one's wallet, then how is this any different than the kid you grew up with who lives down the street who always had the better super soaker? Doesn't mean one person is better than another, merely a financial difference is made. But then again what do people like us who don't have full time jobs being a guitarist for a popular band do? We re-amp. We copy Andy Sneap's settings. We take other peoples impulses. Not a lot of originality there, but it works.

Don't misunderstand me sir, I am not debating you or your opinion. I am merely debating your content and any incongruities you have about Donegan. Personally I think there are bigger lobsters to boil and criticize than Donegan.

DanDonnegan.jpg

U r so jls.

You wish you had a Digitech pedal for the lower half of your body.

:lol:

~006

DanDonnegan.jpg

U r so jls.

~006

:lol: Jesus... Have you heard that piece of crap?! That shit is funny though.
I wish I had a Danelectro pedal on my lower half, hahaha!:lol:

DanDonnegan.jpg

U r so jls.

~006

Judging by his live "tone" I think he might actually use that piece of shit.
maybe 6 of them linked through two sonic maximizers into a crate SS head from 1985.
I haven't seen him since the last tour, maybe that randall module sounds good.