DIY giutar

carvedones

May 16, 2007
Ok last weekend I started my first build.
Its going to be a 7 string v with a TOM (recessed) bridge an a single emg 707.
Neck : Queensland Maple
Stringers : Jarra
Wings : Queensland Maple

The body was from a v i had made early in the year (the guy fucked it up). I cut it up to make the wings.
NEVER try to glue v wings on when they are already cut out!!!

Last week I cut out the neckblank, glued on the ears for the headstock and done some shaping of the neck profile.

Here is the neck blank cut out.
Picture007.jpg

Yesterday I Cut out the headstock, glued on the wings and stringers.
Picture013.jpg

Next I will cut the rest of the body out. Route the truss rod cavity and install the fingerboard.

By the way the body has been sanded but the neck has been through the jointer so it is flat ready for the rod and board.

P.S. If anyone knows where i can get either a 7 string set 3+4 or individual tuners PLEASE LMK as im having trouble finding some.

http://www.tkinstruments.com/id75.htm

That's for Sperzels - if you're going to spend that much time and effort on a DIY, you might as well go all-out, right?

Other companies will sell or give you an individual for that reason, so ask if you want a different brand... but Sperzels are good and the name is just fucking cool. It sounds like some really classy drink - the kind of drink so impressive and astounding that just ordering it could get anyone laid. Sperzel. On the rocks. Don't skimp on the gin, bitch. Goddamn, I love Sperzels.

Jeff

Your posts always entertain Jeff...

But that link is no good to me as they only post in the USA. Im in Australia!!!

I've just been told that you can buy individuals directly from Sperzel if necessary. I also looked around SevenString.org and found someone saying that if you buy a set of Planet Waves tuners, contact them, and provide proof of purchase, they'll either sell or give you a seventh tuner.

If nothing else works out I'll grab you some and post them to Oz for the list price and shipping.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. But i found a place to get some online (in aust). Thanks for such a great offer though!

Still waiting on the truss rod to arrive, so cant do much till then.

Ok yesterday my tuners and truss rod arrived. So this weekend i will route the truss rod slot and glue on the finger board.

Are you using carbon fiber reinforcements? I haven't seen too much of those actually in progress...

Jeff

After talking to Neal Moser. I have decided not to bother. He says its not necessary so thats good enough for me.

Here is a little update.

Got the rod and board on. Done some shaping to the sides of the neck. Cut some more of the body. Drilled the machine head holes. Thinned the headstock a bit.

Also i fucked it up a bit and know its a bolt on...DAMN IT! (Next build will be neck through. (Measure,measure,measure!!!)

Anyway here is a mock up of the guitar with some hardware placed on for a better idea.
Picture-1.jpg

Hardware :
EMG 707
Gotoh Tuners
Gotoh TOM Bridge
Not going to great expense on this one as its my first.

Radius'd the fretboard and shaped the neck profile properly. Need to thin it more as it feels a bit to thick still. But thats just a bit of sanding. Will fret it next weekend probably. So now i need to start doing some work to the body.

Ok the neck is done (except fretting). Now its onto the body.
neck002.jpg

neck001.jpg
Gorgeous
Seven String V's, oh man

I was actually considering looking into a project similar to this, any tips you'd like to give?

I was originally going to do it last summer, I regret not taking a shot at it as I had the funds and everything but I decided to wait until this summer coming up so I have a year to read up on it more and get a better idea of what I'd be doing.

When nobody makes guitars stock the way you want and custom prices are through the roof, you gotta do it yourself, right? :lol:

You plan on putting inlays on it?

I know that's a hard task for creating a guitar so I was curious if you were going to take a swing at that and how you'd go through with it, I'm taking up a project come summer, similar to what you're doing, A V, but a 6 String, a 7 String has been on my mind for the next one for awhile now though