Home built guitar number 2, a bit of progress

Been monitoring this thread closely, hot damn that's a sexy guitar, can't wait to see pictures of the new one! :)

that....is....amazing. you should call another model something japanese like shuriken. Cliched but it fits the headstock shape. I love that shape its so original. again awesome job dude. keep it up

B.C. Rich called, he wants his metal back.

:kickass:

Amazing job dude, can't wait for the video!

Ah, I forgot all about the video I was going to do. :p

I've been playing this guitar pretty much exclusively since I finished it. It's held up to my scrutiny very well, as well as any other player who has handled it.

However, the one thing I've decided is that I'm doing fretboard binding on every guitar I build from here on out. Even with meticulous finishing work, the fret slots are still annoying to me. I'm thinking black plastic binding or even ebony binding would be cool. That's the only thing I wish I had done differently.

I'll start a new thread for my next project one of these days.

I just secured access, through a new friend, to a nice wood shop including some large planers and jointers and just about everything else I've had to do without because of the small shop that I work in and a lack of funds.
Great news for me, and my upcoming builds will go so much faster and smoother!

This has inspired me to build a few simple models to stock up and sell.
Mahogony body, Maple set neck, blank ebony board with binding, hipshot bridge, sperzel tuners, and a choice of pickups.

These will probably be well under $1k. I'll probably build 2 or 3 to start, and I'll advertise them here first if anybody is interested.

Metalhead28, if you are ever going to build 7 string guitars please let me know. I currently have no use for anything below 7 string. (I only use and own 7 string and 8 string guitars) But your design is really quite incredible.

Will, seriously if you build some stock guitars that are going to be "well under $1k" then count me in man. Those things look great. You did such a good job on it. :headbang:

Can you list some specs you may have planned for these stock models? Are you going to figure out a way to brand them (i.e. a waterslide decal or a metal one, a la PRS, under the headstock clear coat) or anything?

~006

The model I'm planning will be:

1 piece Mahagony body with carved top
3 piece maple set neck (possibly flamed maple)
Blank ebony board (w/side dots)
24 frets, 25.5 scale, 16" radius
Sperzel tuners
Hipshot bridge
Graphtech nut
Oil finish
Any 2 humbuckers, I'd rather leave this option open to someone's taste.

Most likely all black hardware.

Logo Wise, I'm planning an inlay on the headstock, and each guitar will be hand signed and numbered under the finish on the back of the headstock.

I haven't settled on a price yet, and probably won't until I finish the first one, but I will definitely keep them as cheap as I can without feeling like I'm getting ripped off. I need to put a few guitars in people's hands and then perhaps I can start some more specialized projects.

I've always thought it would be cool to parkerize the metal parts, at least the tuners and bridge. With the right technique you can get parkerized steel to come out black.

Of course anything that touches the strings or moves needs to be polished, bright and shiny, but the other parts would look killer *and be unique* to get parkerized black.

One thing I've always wondered, how do you get the frets positioned exactly correct? You'd think that if you're even a millimeter off, the fret would be completely out of tune?

I buy fingerboard blanks with the fret slots already cut on a specialized machine. It's only a few dollars more than the blank ebony board, and I know they'll be perfect.

When I planned to slot them myself, I was going to have a jig made on a CNC machine (I work for a machine shop doing design work, so it's conceivable), but I decided against it. Buying them preslotted is just too cheap.