Home built guitar.

STINNETT

Bad / Nationwide
Dec 12, 2005
USA
www.stinnettguitars.com
Don't know if there is any interest in guitar building here, but I have been dabbling in it for a while now.

I thought I would share with you guys my first "serious" guitar build. Done 100% by hand in my garage.

The guitar has a mahogony body and deep set neck (the neck tenon extends beyond the bridge), flamed maple top, ebony fingerboard with flamed maple binding.

I just got it strung up last night for the first time, and I have yet to install the electronics, but the acoustic sound is incredible.

After a little refining of the design, I'm going to start selling these babies.

Let me know what you guys think of the design.

100_1543Large.jpg

100_1545Large.jpg

100_1548Large.jpg

100_1547Large.jpg

100_1555Large.jpg

Yeah, I was going to call it a Caparison Reed Smith too! :p

But that's a compliment, because they both make gorgeous guitars, and so do you, sir! The carved flame maple top of a PRS, the basic body shape of a Caparison. How would you describe the neck shape, and how does it play? What's the scale? And how much do you want for one? :D

Holy shit is that gorgeous, and looks incredibly well done dude! Would you consider yourself a luthier? Cuz if you did all of that (and I mean cutting the inlays, setting them in, applying the top to the body, etc.), then that is damn impressive. The upper horn might be a bit long for my tastes, but obviously way too late now, and it's definitely identifiable! Great job man! :headbang:

Holy shit is that gorgeous, and looks incredibly well done dude! Would you consider yourself a luthier? Cuz if you did all of that (and I mean cutting the inlays, setting them in, applying the top to the body, etc.), then that is damn impressive. The upper horn might be a bit long for my tastes, but obviously way too late now, and it's definitely identifiable! Great job man! :headbang:

Yeah, I did everything except slot the fretboard. I bought the ebony blank pre-slotted so I didn't have to build a jig for fret slotting. I'll tackle that eventually. I have a modestly outfitted woodworking shop at home.

The neck shape is a little on the chunky side. A nice full C shape. I wanted this guitar to have some mass to it and lots of tone.
The scale length is 25.5. I can't comment much on the playability yet, but I'm going to try to install the electronics and finish the set-up tonight. My initial reaction is great, it feels excellent to me. The acoustic sustain and tone is fantastic.

I have no idea what I'll sell them for yet. I'm going to build a couple more and refine the design a little. I need to play on this one for a while too just to decide on any changes or improvements.
Chances are, I will sell them only as custom orders, and I'll leave every option open with a la carte prices so to speak. I'll probably offer a couple different body shapes, different neck profiles, etc.

sweet charvette! the other one isn't bad either.

just kidding - that's killer. must sustain for days with the weight and deep set. dig the natural look.

he can program drums, he can build guitars, he can engineer...he's the TOTAL PACKAGE

sweet charvette! the other one isn't bad either.

just kidding - that's killer. must sustain for days with the weight and deep set. dig the natural look.

he can program drums, he can build guitars, he can engineer...he's the TOTAL PACKAGE

I also have a huge penis. :lol:

Haha, that Charvette neck was just going on Ebay along with a bunch of other crap to help finance the parts for finishing this guitar! It's long gone now....sniff, sniff. :p

Hot damn, a big +1 to that - as Disconnekt said, slightly flatter neck (to give you an idea, I find Schecter necks to be too thick for my tastes, and I prefer a 1 11/16" nut width) and shorter upper horn, and I would buy one of those SO fast (provided it could be under $2000, which I guess is unlikely for a custom, but I can hope ;) )

This guitar has an oil finish. I'm thinking a similar model, perhaps with no inlay or minimal inlay work and also an oil finish could go for well under 2,000.
(Mods to the body or neck shape wouldn't really make any difference)

The inlay was very time consuming. :p

The next couple builds are going to be extensively documented and I'll be creating a website to showcase them. It may be a good while before I decide to start selling anything - but that is definietely the plan ultimately.

Congratulations!!! it looks a beauty

U must be so full of joy, buiding that beauty
Love the simple wood look :)

You are a man of taste.
F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.

the upper horn reminded on the guitar Uli Roth plays. (I like them, even when there is only 1 horn).

If you start to build more, please don`t forget the lefthanded folks :saint:

It does look like an uber Caparison meet the thickness of a Paul Reed Smith. Looks like I'm a have to get a good paying job and buy one from ya. Though, this begs the question, what will you name the guitars?

Here are some suggestions:
Pointy Jabby Things
W.S. Guitars
Kentucky's Best
Wood
GitFiddles
OR, some random name in a death metal logo style that is unreadable.

nice name, haha...Remo Williams is playing in the free On Demand section of Comcast cable right now. "you smell like hamburgers!"

It does look like an uber Caparison meet the thickness of a Paul Reed Smith. Looks like I'm a have to get a good paying job and buy one from ya. Though, this begs the question, what will you name the guitars?

Here are some suggestions:
Pointy Jabby Things
W.S. Guitars
Kentucky's Best
Wood
GitFiddles
OR, some random name in a death metal logo style that is unreadable.

I have to not only name the brand...(Stinnett Guitars is too boring) but I also have to name the model(s). That's going to be the fun part.

I have to not only name the brand...(Stinnett Guitars is too boring) but I also have to name the model(s). That's going to be the fun part.

Hahah, yeah, thats why I suggest W.S. Guitars as an alternative to Stinnett Guitars. And I totally forgot various models of make. You could just comp out and use a number combo for various models ex. Model XL-4J or Model ZD-60U. Though that could get a bit complicated.

And to -J-, Yeah, Remo Williams aka The Destroyer were good reading material for me as a kid. Though, the movie is a bit campy by todays standards.

Very nice indeed. :kickass: I hope this takes off for you. Stinnett sounds find to me. I like it better than W.S. and would rather see that on the headstock than W.S.