Djent Sucks

I actually quite like a fair bit of djent stuff. I do agree that it has become a massively trendy micro-genre, too strictly self-categorised and pigeonholed to generally allow much in the way of development or innovation, however. For a while, I saw a bunch of bands who'd previously hopped happily on board the deathcore bandwagon start transitioning to writing stuttery sub-Meshuggah polyrhythmic riffs on recently-bought 8-strings in a desperate attempt to get on board with the next big thing. That said, much like with just about every genre or sub-genre of music that exists, 'djent' does not necessarily always mean 'bad'.

How about this, for instance;

I think the dividing line between shitty bandwagon-jumpers and actual decent bands that utilise 'djent' stylings is that the shitty bands just go for extended-range instruments and fiddly timings, whereas the decent exponents of the genre use such djent tropes in service of writing actual songs.

All that said, I'm hugely aware that I'm in the overwhelming minority here at RC where it comes to liking this sort of thing. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought that album on impulse because the cover art is awesome. I fucking hate the music, it tries to be both hauntingly atmospheric and brutal but fails spectacularly on both accounts. But I like Reload so what do I know.

disregarding everything else itt, i'm so glad people still do this

I'm buying blind or half blind (one sample, some reviews) all the time these days, so much more exciting, and I'm sure that way I end up liking albums I would disregard through the mp3 treatment.

On the other hand I certainly also dismiss great albums with shit cover art, but what the hell... get a taste, bands!

believe it or not, i actually like that uneven structures album, one of the few djent bands i like.

vildhjarta's also pretty damn cool IMO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnaClnVnj_c

Vildhjarta are pretty great too. I also like Monuments, as they're one of the few djent bands who've come out in recent years who largely eschew clean vocals and ambient progginess in favour of just being really damned heavy;

Last edited by a moderator: