Do bands have controll over their music?

zeppelin

pǝƃuɐq ǝq ɹo ƃuɐq
Jun 8, 2004
Johannesburg - South Africa
This morning I was driving and I switched over to radio only to hear a raped fucked up version of "Comfortly Numb" by some fucked up - r&b or hiphop or whatever you call that shit - group.
I mean - You've gotta be fucken kidding me - Does Floyd actually allow that shit or is it out of their hands completely? - I's not like they need the money.
I hate it when they do that , that British popidol completely ruined "Light my Fire" for me and I used to like that song. There's another one with "Sweet child 'o' mine" and one with "With or without you", oh and they managed to mutilate "Have you ever seen the rain" ass well.
Here is the question: Do bands have to give thier approval or do record companys decide who gets to cover their original songs? :yuk:

i think as long as they say its a cover of the original, they won't get in trouble.. no matter how much they fuck the song up.

-ALieN- said:
i think as long as they say its a cover of the original, they won't get in trouble.. no matter how much they fuck the song up.

Sure , but the artists should have say in this , surely it's not what they want - people are messing with perfection here.

Look at Vanilla Ice now... I think he's been assraped enough.

Actually, aside from the assraping- his eternal punishment for ripping off Queen will be that no one will ever take him seriously. He will forever be "Vanilla Ice" no matter what he does. It brings a smile to my face.

I'm pretty sure, for most acts (and certainly those on major labels), you need to get permission from the owner of the copyright to the music (i.e. the record label).

The holder or holders of the intellectual rights (copyrights) have to grant a licence in order for another artist to use the material. The holder of the copyright is usually :
-the writer(s)
-the publisher (s)
-or both

Record companies generally have little to do with the music copyrights uless if they have a publishing supdivision. They mostly deal with the recording copyrights, meaning the actual sound recording that was released by that company.

the thing about rap is what they do is they use only ten seconds of a song and repeat it over and over again. theres some rule where if you use less than a certain number of seconds of a song its not a copyright infrigement. and rappers constantly abuse this in the most annoying way possible. like the way eminem bastardized dream on

It's an atrocity for that to ever happen. And anyone responsible for letting such classic tracks to be defiled in such a way should be shot dead.
I will never forgive Jimmy Page for disgracing the song Kashmir for the sake of the Godzilla soundtrack. Anyone who has had the misfortune to hear this abortion will understand why.
What the fuck are people thinking? It does not make the song better or more popular to allow a bunch of thieving and uneducated scumbags to pervert it into their sick mindless vision............it ruins it!

Darth Kur said:
I will never forgive Jimmy Page for disgracing the song Kashmir for the sake of the Godzilla soundtrack. Anyone who has had the misfortune to hear this abortion will understand why.
!

Word is P-Daddy(cunt) asked him to play the Kashmir riff cause his own wannabe guitarist couldn't

i was under the impression that if you used a sample from a record, as long as you pay the proper royalties, there is no legal way to stop a person from recording sampled music granted that they pay up. i don't really think permission is involved.

im sure if the band actually publishes a cover on an album, they have to cite the original(obviously) and they prolly do have to ask permission or pay the band or label or something, but I dont think the band is involved, especially since many classic songs from the 50s are being covered though the artist may be dead.

For some reason im thinking that as long as its not claimed as their own, and band can cover any song or at least perform it.

Not all hip-hop songs rape the original tracks. De La Soul sampled a Funkadelic song and created one of the greatest hip-hop songs ever: Me Myself and I

I'm not sure. I think that the bands should definitely get some money for it when some rapper "borrows" their riffs. My ex-roommate (who listens to rap) once was playing a song by some rapper which sampled the main riff of Black Sabbath's Iron Man. Appaling, isn't it? However, he told me that the rapper actually had Ozzy in the studio to sing a few lines for the song, and that Sabbath actually got some money out of it.