Do complex riffs matter?

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
I love thrash songs such as we have arrived by dark angel, tormentor by kreator, but also songs like chalice of blood by forbidden or the many complex riffs of testament.

The difference: we have arrived and tormentor are insanely simple and easy riffs while forbidden or testament songs are complex while playing super fast. Which one comes out as the winner? I don't know, both types kick serious thrash metal anus! So does this matter at all? Are they just lazy and lucky to come out with such great easy songs to play, or are complex riffs more admirable, for the plain reason that they are harder to play and not just for sounding great??

It depends so it's hard to say. For example, I draw and I don't think making the image more fine, detailed and polished makes it better. You can be brief or rough and get it right if you know what I mean.

Normally I'd say if its catchy like Toxik. But then again I love the offbeatness of Watchtower.

Bascially, as long as it rocks and kicks your ass with Thrashy goodness... I probably still diddn't answer the question...

I think it matters only for the sake of variation. If you keep the same easy riffs (which are usually fantastic, look at many nwobhm bands or many well-known thrash bands) for 5 albums long, you'll need some change or improvement in riffing.

IMO what matters is the "catchyness" of the riff, best riffs are those you can recognize easily, giving edge and personality to a song, complex or not.
Sometimes when it's simple for the sake of playing simple, or complex for the sake of being complex, it may just end up bland and boring.

yeah, that is what I thought, I mean, before I played bass, I didn't even give it a thought, but afterwards I didn't know if people would like a song just because it sounds so hard to play. That is reason to like a song, as long as it is good though. It is however very fun to see complex guitar playing at shows, usually the simple riffs require intensity to be interesting.

It is all about balance. If all you have is simple riffs, youu many times end up with mallcore like Coal Chamber. But if all you have is endless wanking you get Yngwie. If you balance it all you get something in between that is catchy, but doesn't get boring after two or three spins.

I happen to like both styles for sure. But i do find it interesting and like it a bit more especially with thrash when its complex riffage!

A lot of musicians who play agressive metal will obviously appreciate something that's technical.

Of course technical riffs matter - but a song doesn't have to be technical at all to kick ass. Some of my favorite metal songs are very easy to play.

I would also add that is there's no balance - ie - a band that ONLY plays technical stuff r doesn;t play any technical stuff at all - it gets stale.

Personally - I really get into technical riffs and solos - not so much the overly complex rhythms where it's hard to follow what's going on - but the riffs and solos, yeah - I definitely get into the technical stuff - but again - that's not all I want to hear.

JB

I'm with most people. It really doesn't matter, as long as I like it. But obviously something technical will instantly get my appreciation (being a musician myself).

I agree with many here and say the same thing, I just word it differently.

Many things in music can be defined. You can define, pitch, harmony, melody, rythm and even tonality to a certain degree. Each and every one of those things are more or less necessary in music (for most of us.) However, "hook" is much more vague but often times that is what makes a particular song sound better to us as opposed to another song by the same artist with similar qualities of the more tangible elements of music such as rythm, melody and harmony. The "hook" can come from any instrument (to include vocals) and is that indescribable part of the song that keeps you drawn to it. Some prefer more technical stuff and some more simplistic, but most of us like stuff that is both simple and complex and more often than not, the "hook" is what got5 us interested in that part of the song in the first place.

Bryant