Do I need an external compressor?

so is this the Empirical Labs Distressor that you guys are talking about? is this used in place of a pre-amp? or is this in the chain after the preamp?

After the preamp. I've only used one once, but it was kickass.

as for the 3630: I goofed with it last night with bass to test, and I think it will serve my meager needs.

My old bassist had one in his rig (SVT 3 Pro, FWIW) along with a BBE unit- two less-than-loved pieces of gear... and his tone was fantastic. It sounded fine in that application.

I did a very quick search last night, and it looks like there's two mods for the 3630. One's very simple- I think you just disconnect the gate as all that stuff in the chain dicks with the compressor somehow- and the other's a bit more extensive and involves replacing some caps and opamps IIRC.

I'd like to mount on a rack of some Really Nice C-cups myself! :headbang:

i'm telling you man, try to save up a few bones and look around for a used RNC...not hard to find, and they often sell for about $125

if these things were built in a full rackspace chassis with an internal PSU and balanced outputs, they'd probably easily demand $700-800 new...

i'm telling you man, try to save up a few bones and look around for a used RNC...not hard to find, and they often sell for about $125

if these things were built in a full rackspace chassis with an internal PSU and balanced outputs, they'd probably easily demand $700-800 new...

good advice, thanks!